Using Hydro Buddy

• Thread starter Crysmatic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Crysmatic

Crysmatic

Hydro buddy is the name of the nutrient calculator designed by Daniel Fernandez. it's available here:
http://allhydroponics.blogspot.com/2010/06/first-free-hydroponic-nutrient.html
it works in windows and linux...just unzip and run!

if you have desired nutrient profiles, hydro buddy will tell you how to mix up your own nutes. it will not tell you if it's a good mix. my point is, you need a good mix to start off, and you need to use the calculator properly.

if you want to copy a specific commercial nutrient, download the nutrient profile calculator from
http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty/articles/profiles.htm
input NPK CalMag ratios, density, and application rate(s). it will give you ppm - which you then input into hydro buddy.

imho companies add dozens of different salts to confuse us, and make it difficult to make an exact copy. they also design several products to work together. you can make a complete 2 part formula with a handful of salts that works very well.

part A will have calcium nitrate, potassium nitrate, ammonium nitrate (if used) and iron DPTA.

part B will have magnesium sulphate, potassium phosphate, and the micro nutrients (suphates).

you can use chelated micros, however, crop king warned me against using EDTA, as it's toxic to plants.

hydro buddy seems to have tabs out of order, imo. definitely read his instructions, and using it is what taught me the best. note that hydro buddy uses salts available, but not exclusive to, crop king.

first, under 'nutrient salts used' click on 'potassium monobasic phosphate' and 'iron edta', and click off 'calcium monobasic phosphate' and 'iron sulphate'. the other default salts are fine. i've had errors when i start messing around with the other salts.

under 'desired formula' you have to set up your res volume, 'concentrated A and B (1:100)', 'calculate weights for specific stock solution volume' (and your preferences) and input your target ppm. click on 'calculate formula!'. if your target ppm are the same as the calculated ppm - which appears next to them under 'calculation result summary' and you get the message 'Calculation executed successfuly, no apparent errors found :o)' then you're done!

all the weights are on the 'calculation results' tab. a digital scale good to +/- 1g is good for macros, and +/- 0.1g for micros. of course use only deionised water. use it at 5 ml/L of A, and 5 ml/L of B.

note that when i add ammonium nitrate (or yara calcium nitrate), i play with the ammonium target ppm until the 'calculation result summary' gives my my desired ppm. e.g. i had to input 18 ppm for the calculator to show 30 ppm - 30 ppm is the real amount.

there are other capabilities, like tracking pH and EC in a recirculating system reservoir, and troubleshooting nutrient ratios. Daniel also plans to add more features. check for updates regularly!

Nutrient salts used
Desired formulation
Calculation results
Crysmatic

Crysmatic

I have been using v0.72. I just downloaded v0.85. right away it told me to use a larger stock volume because some calcs were too imprecise. it needs at least 10L stock solution to eliminate this error.

v0.85 has a water quality input. this was the upgrade i was waiting for. it told me to use RO water :) he's added many more nutrient salts, including iron eddha, and dpta.

he's added 5 links to tutorials. two links are broken.
http://allhydroponics.blogspot.com/2010/07/preparing-your-own-hydroponic-nutrients.html
http://allhydroponics.blogspot.com/2010/06/preparing-and-b-solutions-using-my.html
http://allhydroponics.blogspot.com/2010/06/preparing-b-and-c-three-part.html

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

v0.851 came out aug 1, and v0.852 is already out. those links are fixed, as well as some calculations.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I seem to be having path problems. I can see I'm using v0.851. My digi scale only measures to the whole gram, equivalent in ounces. I have an OLD double-beam that I used to use to measure out fish meds, that one can weigh to tenths if I recollect. I really wish I could make the calculator bigger, even as I see what a huge learning curve I'm gonna experience here.

But, that's a good thing. :) Thank you for putting this up.

Ok, I have to set my paths here, that's why I can't update. Off to search, make functionality.

budboy299

budboy299

Definite thanks Crysmatic...calculator is wonderful and great of you to give some insite into using it.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

Daniel said...

Hello Everyone,

The next version of hydrobuddy - version 0.90 - has just been released. This new version includes a few small fixes to correct some errors that had been reported before plus a new feature that will make the imitation of any commercial nutrient formulation much easier. You can read more about this new feature here : http://allhydroponics.blogspot.com/2010/09/imitating-commercial-nutrients-tutorial.html I hope you enjoy this new release :o)

I am working on a few new features that will be implemented before v.1.0 comes out !

Best Regards,

Daniel
September 8, 2010 9:01 PM

I REALLY love this new feature. say goodbye to cannastats calculator. you don't need it as a bridge to hydro buddy anymore.

if the guaranteed analysis doesn't show micros, i'd say it's safe to use the GH ppm values. caveat emptor.
iron 3.33
boron 1.33
manganese 1.33
zing 1.0
copper 0.33
molybdenum 0.03

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
GoD, it runs on Linux using wine. See if you can find out what crossover program Mac uses and try that. You will need to be able to unzip the package and open an executable (.exe) file.

E

ehole

i find hydro buddy's silicon numbers to be not quite right- potassium or sodium silicate. maybe it's just me though. great program especially for FREE. i'm about to get the update so thanks on the heads up :)

R

REGISTRD

great insights crysmatic..
Seamaden.. there is a couple programs but there not free nor do i see good reviews on them to risk my mac..

K

kuz

Is anybody able to make K more than 2 times N? The greater k to N the less Ca it gives me. Maybe there is some ratio that potassium nitrate and calcium nitrate have to be mixed?

I check potassium chloride but it wont use any to kick up the K either.

I like the calculator for checking my results, but to figure out what I need have to do the math myself.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
great insights crysmatic..
Seamaden.. there is a couple programs but there not free nor do i see good reviews on them to risk my mac..
I asked my husband, he used to work on Macs decades ago. He says they have something called VMWare, but that it's slow and kludgy. But I think for the HydroBuddy proggie that would be alright, it's not terribly resource-intensive to use.

As for free proggies, my best advice is to get a PC and d/l whatever flavor of Linux you might like. All free. But I know how Mac users love their Macs, so...

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

Is anybody able to make K more than 2 times N? The greater k to N the less Ca it gives me. Maybe there is some ratio that potassium nitrate and calcium nitrate have to be mixed?

I check potassium chloride but it wont use any to kick up the K either.

I like the calculator for checking my results, but to figure out what I need have to do the math myself.

i'm using a NPK formula of 5-4-10. i've solved for 3-3-8 as well. what NPK are you aiming for?

i wouldn't worry about calcium if your calcium/nitrogen ratio is 0.5-1.0. if you use calcium nitrate (11.8-0-0) as the main source of nitrogen, you'll get high calcium. if your calcium is still low, raise your N. P and K are supplied by potassium phosphate and potassium nitrate. those three salts will cover most formulas.

magnesium sulfate is not tied to other salts, and the micros are stand alone too.

hth

K

kuz

In the desired formula tab;
N 100, k 100 and ca 100, calc gives ca 111.
N 100, K 200 ca comes out 66.
N 100, K 300, ca goes to 19.

You can play around in the salts tab and guess at amounts, thats not a bad way.

The program is indispensable for checking different formulas.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

are you doing a purely academic exercise? or are you actually aiming for a certain profile? remember, potassium phosphate has both P and K. the higher the P, the less potassium nitrate is used, the more calcium nitrate is used, the higher the calcium. i.e.

NPK-Ca
100-50-200-72.55
100-75-200-89
100-100-200-104.8 (lucas, GH FNB, Sensi Bloom 4-8-7)
100-200-300-104 (overdrive, ripe 1-5-4)

bloom formulas tend to have quite a bit of nitrogen. connoisseur is 5-4-10, aqua flakes is 4.6-3.4-9.9, and power flower is 2-2-5. the N/P ratio is between 1.0-1.35, and K/P ratio of 2.5-2.9. my point is, with a typical formula, calcium isn't an issue.

K

kuz

I would need to be able to tell the program to give me x amount of calcium nitrate for Ca and get the rest of the N from potassium nitrate. Give me mkp for the P I want, add the leftover k from mkp and kno3 and then use potassium chloride or sulphate to bring K where i want it. If that makes sense, sounds more complicated than it is.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

kuz, you could solve for one nutrient at a time...but why? hydro buddy automatically solves for every nutrient concurrently. can you help me understand why you're having a problem? what exactly is your target NPK-CaMg ppm? if you want confidentiality, you can pm me, and i'll send you the recipe.

K

kuz

kuz, you could solve for one nutrient at a time...but why? hydro buddy automatically solves for every nutrient concurrently. can you help me understand why you're having a problem? what exactly is your target NPK-CaMg ppm? if you want confidentiality, you can pm me, and i'll send you the recipe.

Target starting PPM 120-45-200-40-120

salts; calcium nitrate, potassium nitrate, mkp, magnesium sulphate, potassium sulphate and Potassium chloride.

I just type the equations into microsoft office onenote, and from there its pretty quick to change things up. Its faster than anyway I found the calculator to do it.

I havent checked it but I came up with, ml per liter;
cano3 .632, mkp .2, KNo3 .17, K2So4 .1, KCI .08, MgSo4 .36.

I dont care about posting the recipe here, I just dont want anybody to think I know what I'm doing and blindly follow it. There is a little extra Ca from the mag sulphate that dont worry about.

I wouldnt even try this if I didnt have the hydro buddy to double check things. I could also easily convert it to a 2 part base concentrate with the program.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

why are you using KCl and K2SO4? i got 120-45-200-98-40 NPK-CaMg with four salts. calcium is 82% of nitrogen - which is so good i wouldn't worry about tweaking it. i'd even lower Ca if I were using it with my tap water. you may want to bump Mg a little to 50% Ca.

KNO3 0.371 g/L
Ca(NO3)2 0.578 g/L
KH2PO4 0.198 g/L
MgSO4 0.406 g/L

kuz, it's actually a solid formula - 4.7-4-9.4...very close to connoisseur. ~6% less N and K. how did you come to this recipe? it does make you look like you know what you're doing :)

H

hailo

is there anyway you guys can post a picture tutorial so lamens like myself can try this....

i have read the tutorials...but im still lost...

lets say i want to make 1 gal a/b sol 5-4-10...

now what? :help:

it also says to start at the nutrient salts used tab to copy a commercial formulation....but there is a button on the desired formulation tab...

Top Bottom