Using Old Soil From Past Grow...

• Thread starter PassTheJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PassTheJ

So I hear some good stuff about using the same soil from the previous grow or atleast mixing it in with fresh soil.

Everything I read wasn't very verifiable..

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

K

kansabis

I've been running the same fox farms happy frog and ocean forest soil with added perlite at least 4-5x now,after a couple some new organic matter(ewc,compost or just new soil or amendments) are needed and since I didn't I'm having to use up a bit of nutes as they are all used up in the soil.

Bannacis

Bannacis

Re-using soil is a good idea, unless you use synthetic nutes or have iffy water.
Organics or TLO True Living Organics is ideal to re-use soil.
If you had any deficiency problems or sickly plants with last grow i would say nah.

P

PassTheJ

My last grow was my first.. Lol. Def made mistakes.. Ph locks, over and under nutes.. I still avg 3.5 oz and it came out amazing but the soil probably has weird ratios worth of nutrients and ph.. This time around I'm not making any mistakes and maybe I should use new soil just to start fresh..

Otherwise, id have to flush the old soil again and start it off with base nutes. Does soil lose the microbacteria with a flush?

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

well if you're using chemical nutes in the soil you probalby dont have all that much microbacteria going on anyways. if you wanna reuse your soil buy some shpagum peat moss and look up a recipe on the forums for a soil mix and just use that. remeber to leave a little bit of room at the top so you can top dress as the grow progresses. afterr your first cycle is done just cut the stock as close as ya can to the surface and make a new hole beside it

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Ya coco u can wash and re use since it's an inert medium to begin with

S

Shadrock5

I reuse the soil into my garden never realy thought of replanting in it but I will say my tomatos and peppers and my blueberries love that ff happy frog lol and it doesnt look suspicious just fill up wheelbarrow in garrage till it in old roots and all but maybe i will try to reuse it would save some dough. I dont use many nutes at all i mean realy not much at all so I always thought as the leaves yellowed in flower thats because they used most the good stuff in the dirt and were drawing energy from itself

Bannacis

Bannacis

You can put a tarp outside, preferably one that lets water thru. spread your used soil on tarp and let it set for a few weeks. mix it up occasionally. rain and sun will leach out old nutes and salts.
Add amendments and reuse.

Top Bottom