Using OSB for walls in a growroom is it toxic?

• Thread starter soaringfast
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
soaringfast

soaringfast

I'm wondering if any of you fellow farmers have used this type of sheet good for walls? Has there been any ill effects with off gasing? My room will be sealed so I don't want any crazy off gassing that could kill plants.
BTW OSB is that plywood that make with chips. It's used for sheet homes, roofs, floors. I would think if there was a toxic problem with it the product would not be sold so readily.
Thanks

deacon1503

deacon1503

Id go with sheet rock if u can. OSB tends to deplete ur humidity greatly. If u must go with OSB then think about a heavy primer paint to seal it up or staple panda (b/w poly) up. Both of these routes will also add reflectivity to ur walls as OSB alone has none.

D

diffrentstrains

I was asking the same question during construction of my current grow room. OSB is dang handy for screwing/nailing etc on the walls of a room. Like deacon1503 says, the reflectivity is nil and a flat white paint or sheeting material is needed. (I would use diamond foil)

As far as the toxins go, I would like to think that the natural air filtering by the plants and the constant circulation of air would virtually eliminate that risk. Keep in mind however, I have not constructed my entire room of OSB, just a few areas for convenience. The majority is sheeted with drywall. In any event the cost of OSB versus sheetrock is considerably more and that can weigh into the decision as well.

Conclusions/Comments:
- OSB is great in many applications, but may have limited uses as grow room wall sheathing.
- I am sold on diamond foil directly applied to the studs of a newly built wall. I have seen this and it was very effective. Just be sure you don't fall down in your room or you might punch through...

Thanks, good questions and comments.

ups

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
There is OSB that already comes with a good reflective surface stuck to it, and that's what I used to build my veg-table. A bit heavy for the flower room, as we plan on moving that. We used OSB to install the subfloor, use thick enough product and it's fine.

Final thought: OSB is good.

D

diffrentstrains

There is OSB that already comes with a good reflective surface stuck to it, and that's what I used to build my veg-table. A bit heavy for the flower room, as we plan on moving that. We used OSB to install the subfloor, use thick enough product and it's fine.

Final thought: OSB is good.

What is the product called? I might be interested in that for another project. Thanks,

Papa

Papa

Supporter
i'm not familiar with the specs on OSB, but when i've researched typical plywood in the past i found that the off-gassing [of seriously nasty stuff like formaldehyde] occurred during the first three months after coming off the stack. the primary differences, pragmatically between the two is that OSB is usually cheaper but will warp if exposed to water. OSB and ply have the same structural rating, and i've used both up to a thickness of 1-1/8". the thicker dimensions can really help with sound.

Papa

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Papa, I believe, though I may be wrong, but at least in California I think that wood products with certain treatments can't even be sold, or if they are must be marked in compliance with Prop 65. I don't recall any of the OSB or plywood products marked in such a manner at the local Lowe's (that may not be saying a whole lot).
What is the product called? I might be interested in that for another project. Thanks,
I honestly don't know, we found it right next to the 'uncoated' OSB at Lowe's. Same with the rigid insulation foam, one day I found the mylar-lined stuff next to the regular stuff. MUCH cheaper than Reflectix, I tell you what! Plus, it holds its own shape.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
sm, things may have changed since a looked into a few years ago. i know the chems used in pre-treated wood in CA has.
this is from wiki:
Plywood for indoor use generally uses the less expensive urea-formaldehyde glue which has limited water resistance, while outdoor and marine-grade plywood are designed to withstand rot, and use a water resistant phenol-formaldehyde glue to prevent delamination and to retain strength in high humidity.
The adhesives used in plywood have become a point of concern. Both urea formaldehyde and phenol formaldehyde are carcinogenic in very high concentrations. As a result, many manufacturers are turning to low formaldehyde-emitting glue systems, denoted by an "E" rating ("E0" possessing the lowest formaldehyde emissions). Plywood produced to "E0" has effectively zero formaldehyde emissions.

but re: OSB, this from the "Healthy House Institute" . . .
"Another health concern is the potential for offgassing of chemicals used in manufacturing. OSB and exterior plywood both contain a formaldehyde-based, waterproof resin called phenol-formaldehyde (PF). Compared to the widely used urea-formaldehyde (UF) resin, PF resins emit relatively low levels of formaldehyde. UF resins, which are found in composite materials used in cabinets, shelving, paneling and other products, are more toxic and outgas significantly more formaldehyde than PF-based glues.

"Avoid or minimize problems with OSB by:
Inspecting OSB panels to be used for construction or home remodeling for signs of water-damage or mold. If you suspect it may be damaged, calling in a professional inspector may be warranted to avoid structural and health-related issues down the road.
Not using OSB for subflooring, particularly in bathrooms or other areas where moisture and exposure to water is likely.
Avoiding materials made with formaldehyde. Research manufacturers for those making formaldehyde-free OSB.
Isolating it from the living space. As with construction-grade plywood, it can often be used in a healthy house if it is well-separated from living areas."

i use both as screw backing behind drywall. the drywall (after mudding and sealing with an oil-base primer, then latex) seals up any potential problems from the grow space.

Papa

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
On one hand it's good to read that, on the other hand we got to watch our home being built (got the contract when it was still sticked out and roofed only) and the entire thing was subfloored with OSB, which the county inspectors signed off on, which makes it frustrating to read that. I know *that's* not saying much, especially considering the other things we have since found that were done poorly or straight up incorrectly, but there it is.

Top Bottom