Using Oxygen Generator to increase DO.

• Thread starter pacog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
IPlay4Keepz

IPlay4Keepz

Lets get back 2 these regen blowers sum1 was talkin about. Any1 got a link? Thanx -Keepz

M

mrdizzle

regen blowers, imagen running a lawn mowwer in your room, they are usually 230v and about 2amps. I dont see the point because like fatman said water hold DO for a short period of time, a 40w venturi will give you just as much DO and you wont hear it around the block

IMG 0986
IMG 0988
IMG 0989
IMG 0990
IPlay4Keepz

IPlay4Keepz

Cuz i just started my 4th week of 12/12 and the UC got my girls lookin like they need weight watchers! If i can somehow improve on this system, without all the drama involved, u have my complete and undivided attention. BTW that venturi u guys recommended would go in the control bucket correct? in place of the disc diffuser thats alrdy there? i'm more interested in providing turbulence in each individual bucket where the roots are. thanx -Keepz

IPlay4Keepz

IPlay4Keepz

regen blowers, imagen running a lawn mowwer in your room, they are usually 230v and about 2amps. I dont see the point because like fatman said water hold DO for a short period of time, a 40w venturi will give you just as much DO and you wont hear it around the block

Def. props on that!! Looks like it works amazing, but u only hav it running in ur rez or in each module? thanx -Keepz

Ok i think i seen u hav it in ur rez only, but i can b wrong

L

Lost

Dizzle, any benefit to adding a real air line, instead of just a syphon air line? Maybe even throw an airstone in the tube itself?

M

mrdizzle

Im not sure, the air is violently mixed with the water so you can expect high amounts of DO

Iplay4keepz, you can add it to the control bucket. honestly thou bro the UC is fine, clearly it provides a massive amount of DO, you can tell by your rapid growth. fatman mainly is talking about shitty aero pvc systems

IPlay4Keepz

IPlay4Keepz

Im not sure, the air is violently mixed with the water so you can expect high amounts of DO

Iplay4keepz, you can add it to the control bucket. honestly thou bro the UC is fine, clearly it provides a massive amount of DO, you can tell by your rapid growth. fatman mainly is talking about shitty aero pvc systems

I hear ya, but i have 2 replace the air stones after this cycle anyway. I guess i'll see how this ap-100 pushes the new large ceramic diffusers i'm purchasing and take it from there. Thanx again youve been a big help so far -Keepz

P

pacog

Lets get back 2 these regen blowers sum1 was talkin about. Any1 got a link? Thanx -Keepz

Keepz... From the little research i have done so Far they make Regen in Various sizes and strengths. Just like the air Pumps.

I found a 17cfm Regen for a very reasonable price on e-bay. Going give it a try and see how it works. Was supposed to come out of New Hospital Equip. If its a bit Loud I will build a Noise Proof Box for it. Dnyamat( or similar product) works wonders for this application.

DD's is running 2-4 Hiblow 150( Might be 200) if I remember Correctly. That is some serious Coin for those Air Pumps.

MrDiz... The reason for using the Regen would be because it would provide Way more Air Volume to your Diffusers there fore creating more water movement. Your limiting factor would be the volume of air the diffuser could move thru it. Plus look at CFM numbers. A 17cfm regen, you would need 10 AP100 at 1.5cfm to match the same CFM of air being produce by the single unit.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

D.O. you still luv me?

If you're building a box I'd consider positively pressuring it with a centrifugal fan & HEPA filter combo. Basically forming a mini clean room for your regen, linear or any crap air pump to nest within.....air conditioned to like 60 F.

That application could be used with any air pump combo.....but regens seem most cost effective, albeit noisy.

aquaticeco.com is where it's at....like FM mentioned earlier.

Sounds like as long as the nutrients are well circulated, just about any method of meeting minimum DO requirements is likely to keep plants healthy.

Simply put, it all works.

For a better understanding of how to best aerate water one need only turn to mother nature. Looks like surface aeration (falling water, cresting waves, rapids, etc.) is mom's favorite.

Other than surface aeration the predominant forces that influence water's dynamics are currents, be it downstream flow, trans-oceanic currents, estuaries, melting snow pack....water rarely stops moving in nature, and when it does become static, or stagnent, problems often follow....or else complex ecosystems form to balance the equation.

All in all this thread is shaping up to be kick ass, thanks Pacog.....Respect.

L

Lost

Keepz... From the little research i have done so Far they make Regen in Various sizes and strengths. Just like the air Pumps.

I found a 17cfm Regen for a very reasonable price on e-bay. Going give it a try and see how it works. Was supposed to come out of New Hospital Equip. If its a bit Loud I will build a Noise Proof Box for it. Dnyamat( or similar product) works wonders for this application.

DD's is running 2-4 Hiblow 150( Might be 200) if I remember Correctly. That is some serious Coin for those Air Pumps.

MrDiz... The reason for using the Regen would be because it would provide Way more Air Volume to your Diffusers there fore creating more water movement. Your limiting factor would be the volume of air the diffuser could move thru it. Plus look at CFM numbers. A 17cfm regen, you would need 10 AP100 at 1.5cfm to match the same CFM of air being produce by the single unit.

I could be wrong but I think DD's uses 1-2 Highblo-80's. Also remember that to much violence in the minires will case the roots to not grow. No one seems to want to hear that but there it is again :)

Keep in mind a ap-100 is supposed to airate something like a 10,000 gallon pond, just a thought. I think there is an upper level to the bubble thing (still ultra important tho), after that flow is really what roots love...

M

mrdizzle

no one is doubting a regan blower moves more air than ap-100. Use one if you want, many people do. a venturi will do the same thing

P

pacog

I could be wrong but I think DD's uses 1-2 Highblo-80's. Also remember that to much violence in the minires will case the roots to not grow. No one seems to want to hear that but there it is again :)

Keep in mind a ap-100 is supposed to airate something like a 10,000 gallon pond, just a thought. I think there is an upper level to the bubble thing (still ultra important tho), after that flow is really what roots love...

Lost you might be right about DD's. I know it at least 2 Air Pumps for Sure. I thought they were the Bigger Hiblo. When I looked up the Price I was Like OUCH.

As far as the Air Pump ratings. How accurate are they really? I am sure they are like everything else, everyone has their own rating system and use it to their advantage.

What's the Fine Line between to Much root movement and Magic Number???

Yes it seems Water Movement is Key.

UCMENOW... Thanks man. Just like many here, we get these ideas and It's great there is a place with so many knowledgeable people that can lend their input and experience into the equation. Again the FARM RULES!!!

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Lost brings up a good point which is there is a ceiling for performance hen it comes to aeration.....and even diffusion related root damage in some cases.

One thing I've noticed is that with too much "aeration", agitation, ....call it what you will, and by whatever method employed.......the nutrient solution pH becomes less stable....and certain minerals precipitate out, causing pH drifts with perpetual deficiencies expressed in the plants.

Anyone else experience this?

P

pacog

no one is doubting a regan blower moves more air than ap-100. Use one if you want, many people do. a venturi will do the same thing

For the Main rez thats a good Solution. But what about Each individual bucket/pod? You gonna put a Venturi in each one of those??? Thats could be a lot of pumps. Although I wonder in you could adapt some sort of Venturi on the intake of each Bucket/pod??? Would there be enough pressure to start the effect?

The Regen would be to power all the Diffusers in the the individual buckets/pods. Takes the place of the AP-100 ect.

L

Lost

Dizzle, obviously following this train of thought, why airstones in the mini-reses. Why not a small, say 100 gph venturi pump in each mini res. Perhaps rig it to have 2 exits to create a circular res flow or opposing currents, etc..

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

APB for JK to chime

Sending a shout out for JK to get involved in this discussion.

Though a little salty I know he's got some good input to offer.....and besides, compared with Fat, JK's like like Mother Theresa LOL

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Venturi's rock the house but I still say 60 F degree air pumped directly through the root zone is a must.....plus I bet with chilled air infusion there would be little to no need for a chiller.

Seems especially clutch for people on a small amperage budget whom can't run an ac and a chiller.

P

pacog

Venturi's rock the house but I still say 60 F degree air pumped directly through the root zone is a must.....plus I bet with chilled air infusion there would be little to no need for a chiller.

Seems especially clutch for people on a small amperage budget whom can't run an ac and a chiller.

Mr DIz.. BTW I use Venturi's in my Rez. They are great.

Very Interesting UCME. I wonder if the Cold air would be enough to cool the water to the right temps????

Might have to give it a try when I get MY Regen in.

Lost... All those Little Pumps would generate more heat then the Air pump I would think???? Might cause the Chiller to have to work harder as well???

Was wondering if the venturi will work in the feed opening on the MPB style Toes because each has an individual feed line that pressures up each mini rez??? or dose it need a pump inline to get the effect?

M

mrdizzle

No venturi for the buckets, the roots would get chewed up by the pump

I consider the airstones a way to keep the flow moving in the buckets, the water ripple as well as the DO that doesnt bubble off, once the roots surround the airstones, that air is def taken in by the roots, in some of my bins I dont see the bubble roll to the top its getting blocked by the root mass,

ucmenow made a great point, waterfalls are considered the best way to create DO. you can do this with a pump in the res too

$20 400ghp pump, add a 5inch piece of tubing into a T, then stick two 3in pieces of tubing on that T and then put an elbow on each end of the 3in tubing off the T and turn the pump on, you will have two mini waterfalls in your res, much like the return on the UC

L

Lost

Dizzle - Have you seen a 100 gph pump? I use one to fill my watering bucket and it takes forever and its oly 2 gallons, no its a very light water movement. It might generate a little heat, but the chiller will probablly never notice depending on your chiller of course.

Anyway, what about this dwc aero bucket. I think this is kinda like J/K's?

The black is PVC pipe inside the res, with sprays 360 degree, pointing down, to help with lid issues.. Thoughts?

Tub1
Top Bottom