• Thread starter StonedBlue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GreenLifeO

20w blacklight led 385-405nm
3w IR illuminator 850nm
15w x2 ExoTerra 10.0 18" t8

Not necessarily on the sides but all at different angles.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Has anyone tried to remove the glass bulb from a MH bulb to see what type of UV, and how much, comes off of one? I know the outer glass bulb blocks most UVB/C, but I didn't know what was in the light without the glass.

sixstring

sixstring

That extra glass is a safety shield to prevent the exploding lamp from burning down the grow. Don't remove it !!!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
That extra glass is a safety shield to prevent the exploding lamp from burning down the grow. Don't remove it !!!

Yes, the outer glass envelope does protect a little (in the event of a catastrophic failure) but it also cuts out most of the UV as well. The arc tube is quartz and allows all of the UV to get out, which the outer glass envelope screens out and keeps it away from plants and eyes. There are also shatter proof HID lights that have a little shield around the arc tube...but this you already know. I was wondering, or thinking out loud, how much of a UV component that an arc tube produces, as well as at which frequencies. A small 70 watt MH bulb might provide enough coverage for a large area due to their efficiency at generating UV light.
I would NOT recommend removing the outer glass for any reasons other than research, and taking all of the necessary precautions to do it safely...throwing a bare arc tube in a grow tent is a recipe for disaster!:sweating: I'm older than Noah and it's a miracle that I have lasted as long as I have...I was just wondering if anyone has tried to quantify it in any way since it can be such a double edged sword. Please accept my apologies if I have pointed anyone down the dark path...sometimes I tend to overthink stuff, especially after I... :cool:

sixstring

sixstring

im still waiting for conclusive evidence that shows uv making the plant/buds better :facepalm:
used several dif uv lamps in my setups plus used and still using de lamps,cmh,and 6k/10k mh lamps. healthy plants grown under cobs and quantum boards with zero uv test just as high or higher than anything else,so i just dont see the need to complicate my grow considering how much time i spend under those lights.

G

GreenLifeO

im still waiting for conclusive evidence that shows uv making the plant/buds better :facepalm:
used several dif uv lamps in my setups plus used and still using de lamps,cmh,and 6k/10k mh lamps. healthy plants grown under cobs and quantum boards with zero uv test just as high or higher than anything else,so i just dont see the need to complicate my grow considering how much time i spend under those lights.

Have u done a side by side with uv as the only varible?

G

GreenLifeO

From what i remember uv specific bulbs are the only ones that put out any real uv.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
From what i remember uv specific bulbs are the only ones that put out any real uv.

The reptile lights put out mostly UVA. It's difficult to get regular glass to pass any UV radiation other than UVA. Special glass must be used for other UV applications. UVA/UVB are the ones we are most concerned...UVC is very shortwave and is dangerous, used mostly for sterilization. It will burn plants pretty quickly and will cause eye damage if care isn't exercised. The UV LEDs are pretty expensive unless you stick to the longer wavelength ones...like the ones they sell for collecting glass and stuff that glows when exposed to it. Your best bet would probably be a T5 type suntan bulb/tube, but I have no idea how much the plants can tolerate without burning or stressing. One time I tried to use a sunlamp...the kind from the 60s with the discharge tube. I didn't notice much at first, but after 2 weeks, the outer 1/4 inch of the plants were totally hosed and felt like a water balloon...squishy. Then it died.
I've been trying to find some sort of formula regarding different doses of UVA/B/C, but information is hard to find.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Me too, grown with 10K finishing bulbs, reptile CFL's , CMH and UV led's.
I also look at it this way, if the trichs is as they say a defense mechanism against UV light then why does most of the trichs abound during flower when UV light is fading outdoors instead of veg when the UV light is at it's max.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Maybe the plant increases it's payload to encourage mammals to nibble and enjoy the goodies and distribute the seed...sort of like fruit...but for the mind! Deer are notorious in this area to eat them, although I don't know about fully mature. If nature can find an edge to survival, it will take it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom