Uvb Uva Study Test Results Increases Medical Marijuana Potency 3-5%

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

I agree.

Some of the plus sides are.
They can be used as your main growing bulbs removing the need for extra lights, hardware, heat, electricity etc.

For my 8 bulb t5 fixture it would cost around $200 to outfit. Which isn't worth it yet to me.

I mean c'mon I paid $79 for the fixture & it came with 8 bulbs lol. Granted they are probably cheap bulbs. They do work as well as I need them to. They are mainly for seed germinating/early development.

But if t5 was my only option to keep temps down, space or whatnot. It would be cheaper than my 400w light setup with bulbs & ballast. Would probably outlast the m.h./hps bulbs too as far as light degradation is concerned.
you only need 2 pv bulbs per 8 lamp fixture,they are strong.or 1 pv lamp per 4 bulb fixture.
@GT21 nice lookin nuggies bro :)

sixstring

sixstring

im talking about the eye hort powerveg t5 bulbs.you only need a few per fixture spaced out.if you run 8 of them in one fixture you better raise that bitch to about 18 to 20 in or they will cook the plants lol.

Ecompost

Ecompost

I agree.

Some of the plus sides are.
They can be used as your main growing bulbs removing the need for extra lights, hardware, heat, electricity etc.

For my 8 bulb t5 fixture it would cost around $200 to outfit. Which isn't worth it yet to me.

I mean c'mon I paid $79 for the fixture & it came with 8 bulbs lol. Granted they are probably cheap bulbs. They do work as well as I need them to. They are mainly for seed germinating/early development.

But if t5 was my only option to keep temps down, space or whatnot. It would be cheaper than my 400w light setup with bulbs & ballast. Would probably outlast the m.h./hps bulbs too as far as light degradation is concerned.
check out the 315w cdms/LEC lamps bro, they run cooler but pump light big time. I use 315's to replace my HID all year now, I just use the 630's in winter and the 315s in summer, but a 315 would replace a 600 any day. I literally tested one for a company, then after the test they let me keep the kit, I ended up buying lots more to replace our HIDs in total, so it was still good business for them :-) I love these 315s man. Plenty of UV too

Humboldt.Rio

Humboldt.Rio

Just thought I would post this, because I had been looking for information about 10k bulbs as well. I want to do a 3 light vert with mh in the middle. This is from Solis tek:

You would find better results with using the 4K/6K throughout flower vs the 10K. The 10K has the most amount of UV for any of the lamps we offer and is only recommended for finishing and may diminish your yield if used throughout the bulk of flowering. We would definitely recommend using 4K for supplemental lighting during flowering first if you have not done this before as it is an easier learning curve vs the higher kelvin lamps with more UV.

Information on our full spectrum lamps and when to properly use them throughout your cycle for the highest quality and full phenotypic expression.

We recommend using the 4K in flower as it is full spectrum with plenty of usable reds and UV but not enough to hinder yield. The full spectrum will also improve your terpene profile as well as improve the plants health and make it resistant to pests and disease. It can also be used in veg/transition if you do not require any compression for lanky/stretchy plants. A lot of facilities checkerboard their rooms with the MH4K and HPS2K for a healthy dose of full spectrum + infrared.

The higher the kelvin the lamp produces the more UV is present. UV stress is beneficial for compressing lanky/hybrid plants in veg, transition (weeks 1-2), and when used in finishing it will increase the oils and resins as the plant uses them as a natural sun screen.

UV stress at high levels is not recommended during the bulking stage of flowering (weeks 3 -> finish) as the plant is more focused on receiving the red photon for bulking/swelling. The blue/UV light will overtake the red photon as it is stronger, this is why we do not recommend using the 10K for the bulking periods as it may decrease your yield if you are not familiar with working with full spectrum. This is why the 4K is a great choice for flowering and all stages of growth.

The 6K is recommended for veg/transition if your plants are lanky/stretchy/hybrid, if they are of the squat/stocky/bushy variety which does not need any compression then you may run the 4K in these periods as this will allow vertical growth but still hold down the stretch vs using HPS.

The 10K is only recommended for finishing as 30% of its power is dedicated to UV. Facilities are reporting an upwards of 3-4% increase potency testing when used in the last 10 days of finishing/flushing.

UV Scale:
10K (High)
6K (Medium)
4K (Low)

shaganja

shaganja

I haven't been able to do a side by side same strain run yet to confirm this. I am throwing it up as there has been much debate over the efficacy of this added supplemental lighting.

I believe this type of lighting can be found in most pet stores that handle reptiles.

Myth or Magic- The Next UVA UVB Cannabis Marijuana Test Complete

Does a shortened UVA UVB exposure schedule result in the same 5% THC increase?

The question is:
Is it possible to increase the potency of cannabis 5% or more by shortening the amount of time the marijuana plants are exposed?

After extensive testing trial and error we have found it is neither myth nor magic but rather a natural reproductive response. There is no need to expose the plants through vedge or even all the way through bloom.
Instead we only subjected the medical marijuana plants during the last 2 weeks at 12 hours continuous UVA UVB light exposure.

Over the same 7 different strains all increased at least 5% over what they had tested without the UVA UVB lighting and the same as when we had exposed them for 12 hours under the ultraviolet lighting.

We had all 7 strains tested at the same place as before chose very nice, large top flowers closest to our lights. We then dried them for 2 weeks at 80 degrees 45% humidity hanging on stems. After that we cured the medical marijuana in a jar for one more week.

Preparation for testing after being subjected to the UVA UVB lighting and then drying and curing is to trim or manicure it as best as humanly possible.
Here is why..

When a sample is brought in for testing the individual performing the test will grind down the sample then perform multiple test on portions of the 1 gram sample they were given. They will then average out the results from the test results they have taken and record those findings. The results you see on your report can either be the average of the samples, the highest test result recorded or if they only do one sample test then that will be the number recorded on your report.

Due to the fact that once the sample is ground up each test will vary in results. Also any leaf material or branch material will lower your THC and CBD percentages. That is why it is critical to manicure your flowers as best as you possibly can.

Now some background info on why the UVA UVB lighting increases THC.

Ok so we all know or should know the most potent strains of cannabis come from mountainous regions. The higher the elevation the better more potent the strain becomes. Why is this you might ask? Because THC is a natural sunblock or UVA UVB blocker nature has ever created. The plant produces more and more to protect itself from damage. Remember the natural instinct of a marijuana plant is to reproduce and live another day. If the sun bakes it's seeds and ruins the chance for reproduction its dead, no more reproduction. So to compensate for the high altitudes and high UVA UVB light spectrum exposure the marijuana plant produces more THC.

Downside is once we bring the cannabis plant indoors there is no longer any exposure to UVA UVB lighting so the potency is decreased immensely. None of the bulbs on the market that we use to grow with contain much if any of the ultraviolet light spectrum. On top of that the glass in our hoods and distance from the plants also decrease or eliminate any of the ultraviolet light available. Side note: Don't even bother with LED or CFL bulbs that claim to produce UVA UVB light. They do not produce enough useable light to show any increase in THC. Now I have heard the the new double ended bulbs do have a decent amount of useable ultraviolet light and we will be testing those very soon.

Next phase of UVA UVB experiments

Our next phase of testing will be to cut the UVA UVB exposure down even more! We will be doing a 2 week 6hr a day exposure schedule and then perform the same testing on all the strains we have tested prior to see if the 5% increase stays the same or decreases. Our expectation is that it will stay the same!

Hope this has been very helpful to everyone who reads our blog posts. Our intention is to increase awareness of the effects of UVA UVB lighting on medical marijuana plants resulting in stronger medication for sick or terminally ill patients. The better the quality of medication the less will be required to treat and medicate these patients.

Warning!!!! UVB UVA is known to cause eye injury including formation of cataracts. Turn reptile or tanning bulbs off when working in your groom.

http://medicalmarijuanagrowing.blogspot.com/

Here is some more data I found on another site.

This will be a well controlled experiment to test the difference between plants grown with UVB supplementation, and plants grown without.

The genetics are a strain called "psycho berry", they are all clones taken from the same mother.
They are running in NFT, in a 3x1.5m space, each side of the space has a single spectrum 1kw purely red bulb, there is a dual spectrum 600w hanging vertically in the center (but this is just to increase yield and contains little to no UVB.

Environmental factors
are rather equal and symmetrical throughout, temp and humidity range positives over the entire canopy are minimal to none.

The test done by some scientist, that some of you will no doubt refer to in this thread, is somewhat lacking in or rather has some misconceiving info in regards to amount of uvb supplemented (it seems RATHER low)

I am sure we will mostly agree that geographically the Hindu Kush is probably responsible for harboring the strongest land-races known to nature, so lets work down from here.

A good estimate for watts per square meter of sun power, along side these valleys/mountains, would be around 1050 watts.

If we take the fact that at ground level 3% of the suns power is composed of UV, this gives us around 31.5 watts per meter squared of "UV"

UV levels increase by 4% for every 300 metre rise in altitude, and the Valley of Kuran wa Munjan, is situated 1,800m above sea level, so lets take our 31.5 watts and increase it by %24 (7.5 watts) this gives us around about 39 watts per meter squared of UV radiation in the Hindu Kush ( and I think that's being generous)

Our ozone is great of coarse at filtering UVB (and the more energetic wavelengths), however we are not at great enough elevation in the Hindu Kush to start factoring this in.

Now lets consider that UVB rays constitute only 5% of ultraviolet radiation in our ozone and this gives us 5% of 39 watts, (1.95) to make it simple lets say that, in the Hindu kush UVB radiation is around 2 watts per square meter.

Our space is 1.5 x 1.5 meters which = 2.25 m2, so 2 watts(per square meter) x 2.25(meters squared) = 4.5 watts of UVB (AT CANOPY LEVEL) needed for our test

Now lets consider that "Repti Glo 10.0" bulbs are 10% UVB (290 to 320 nm), we would need 45 watts of this particular bulb, this is of coarse not factoring in loss of irradiance (meaning these bulbs will not be touching the test canopy(inverse square law)).

If we do factor in the above and consider the distance light source will be from canopy, we are going to want much closer to 80 watts of said bulb, which is great anyway because they are available in 40 watt tube models.

Lighting schedule: UV is at its peak during solar noon, and is dramatically lower in the mornings and evenings, IMHO, I think giving test plants 4 hours of UVB supplementation either side of their solar noon, (8 hours per day in total) is a pretty good compromise and quiet accurately replicates nature, if anyone disagrees with this please let me know.

When I started this thread it was not made active for a few weeks and I did not think it was going to be made active so I did not bother setting up the test, the plants are now 3 weeks into 12/12 so it's still early enough to setup, I will get on the case immediately, for those, including myself, that are very interested in an accurate comparison of UVB.

Testing Results: I do not currently have access to a Gas Chromatography test to compare the 2 samples, if someone wants to help out here let me know, I can provide the funds.
Of coarse if a obvious visual difference is noticeable then the test will provide a positive answer, HOWEVER if a visual difference is not noticeable we could still be missing something that a GC will detect, and even if a visual difference is noticeable I am sure we all want to know in percentage values what kind of increases took place, like I said someone reach out to me.

Conclusion to introduction:To properly replicate UVB levels in the Hindu Kush (where some of the most potent cannabis grows naturally) in to our test environment (or more accurately, test plants canopy) , we are going to want to use around 80 watts of "Repti Glo 10.0" bulbs. UVB supplementation will be timed to accurately represent concentration levels of UVB in said geographic region, we will look for a visual difference, a difference in affects during consumption, and hopefully a accurate test showing us the definitive answer to our test .

MrChemovar

MrChemovar

Thanks bud...happy to help.. i spent a lot of time with nutes and different grow technique but the last few years were all lights... all about them photons.

What bulbs are those and what are they connected too? I have a hood over my uvb bulbs from a reptile light fixture

shaganja

shaganja

It's the latter. And actually, my latest test results have shown it can be even higher than 5%. My lowest jump has been 10% on a high CBD strain and I had 2 high THC strains jump 15%. I had another high CBD strain show a 20% increase in both THC and CBD. That one is just finishing another round and will go in to the lab to see if it reached that same increase again.
this is new, if you are saying uv increased cbd. this has been tested, and uv in previous tests show zero increase in cbd

shaganja

shaganja

Sorry for blowin up your thread OP but light is what interests me most. Organic chem, thermodynamics and hydraulic conductivity are fun too!!!
i use agomax, and have noticed the trics grow long, sometimescwrappingaround themselves

adeel06

adeel06

So what have you ended up using? Only UVa or a combination of UVA to UVB? I was going to try 75% UVB and ~25% UVB and use light movers so they don’t stay on any lights too long. Sorry if this too old of a bump but I love me some UV!

shaganja

shaganja

So what have you ended up using? Only UVa or a combination of UVA to UVB? I was going to try 75% UVB and ~25% UVB and use light movers so they don’t stay on any lights too long. Sorry if this too old of a bump but I love me some UV!
yes, after last summers crop, am convinced i really like uv! they all seemed like they increased potency compared to same strains on previous runs. they also seemed to develop a no ceiling. i havent gotten sick of any of them. its march. been smoking them since october. this is rare for me. definitly continue use!

Latest posts

Top Bottom