Vacuum Based Top-off Res.

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

Just wondering if anyone has used, seen used or know of anyone who has used a top-off res. without a float valve.

It concerns me when I consider the worse case scenario of a float valve failing and causing untold problems.

The idea would be to use a simple half inch pvc pipe attached to the bottom of the top-off res with a 90 degree elbow on the end. All you need to do is place the open end of the top-off elbow at the exact water level you need the epi center to be at. As the water level drops below the elbow it allows air inside of the airtight top-off res and water out. When the water level once again closes off the elbow opening it stops any more exchange of water and air.

Maybe it's like trying to remake the wheel but I like to create a system with as little variables as possible.

scubascrog

scubascrog

you are creating more variables contrary to your own vision statement at the end of your post. "Maybe it's like trying to remake the wheel but I like to create a system with as little variables as possible."
Creating a vacuum system has more variables than water level and a float.
. buy a float valve.

S

Shawnery

This is a conversation on my part not a sign of disrespect.

How is having one less moving part that can fail adding more variables instead of removing the only variable that can actually mechanically fail? I honestly don't see the logic in that statement.

Not saying it's a better or worse option since that is a separate conversation than we are currently having. This is only a conversation about increasing or decreasing the variables in a system which have the ability to fail.

scubascrog

scubascrog

Vacuum pressure is a MASSIVE variable. you need a 100 percent sealing your reservoir for it to suck water through a tube to maintain water level. you will not get your reservoir to a vacuum 100% leak free environment. I build plasma reactor vacuum chambers for a living. I leak check things. you wont be able to open your reservoir at all under this system even if you did find a way to make it completely vacuum sealed. 5 gallon bucket top reservoir MIGHT be able to pull this off but who tops off with a 5 gallon, just get a bigger res.

so a float valve is your BEST BET bro trust me on this one. people have been using them for years without fail. Im not here to insult your intelligence but you just asked if tap water was okay to flush with. quit making things hard lol.

Last edited:
S

Shawnery

How would a ball valve at the bottom of outlet not allow for the system to be opened?

scubascrog

scubascrog

as in a ball valve isnt going to work with a rdwc reservoir. you would cut off the water to your buckets negating the whole reason why you do RDWC

scubascrog

scubascrog

not being able to go in and clean it out is going to fuck you,
are you running a chiller yet? if not. this idea is even beyond the point.

H

heisen

This is a conversation on my part not a sign of disrespect.

How is having one less moving part that can fail adding more variables instead of removing the only variable that can actually mechanically fail? I honestly don't see the logic in that statement.

Not saying it's a better or worse option since that is a separate conversation than we are currently having. This is only a conversation about increasing or decreasing the variables in a system which have the ability to fail.
Your idea will be more likely to fail that a float valve.good quality float valves are less likely to fail than a water pump or a bulkhead fitting.if water is pumping into the epi center and trying to 100 percent seal the lid on top of the other connections,if you get 1 tiny pin hole air leak your entire system is dumped.

scubascrog

scubascrog

like literally you can seal up the res completely and the water pump tube coming out of the top will create negative pressure will pull water in from the top off.

S

Shawnery

Large reservoir with sealing lid outside of tent held above the water line. At bottom reservoir have half inch pvc with ball valve installed inline before the 45 bend into the epi center. As water drops and allows air in water is then released. As water level rises in epi center the end of pvc is covered and vacuum reinstated.

When in need of cleaning just allow the reservoir to empty and clean. If you need to get into the reservoir for some reason just shut off ball valve and then open lid.

I'm not sure what I'm missing at all. If you were really worried about cleaning the reservoir you could always install a uv clarifier in the reservoir. In my head it just seems like a better option with no moving parts to fail or depend on.

S

Shawnery

Yes I have a chiller.

I will use a float valve since they are proven in this situation but that does not mean that a vacuum is not a valid option.

I guess there is a chance for failure in any system so you may as well stick with what is used.

H

heisen

How do you propose to seal the net pots?Any water above the water line is going to force itself into the system by way of gravity as long as air can escape.If this is recirculating system than water will just pour out of the res through the valve and into the main system.Might have to scratch this idea and go back to square 1.

S

Shawnery

As long as the reservoir is sealed airtight and then the outlet from res is sealed by water level in epi center than nothing else should matter.

I've seen a video of the idea in action but can't find it again.

H

heisen

As long as the reservoir is sealed airtight and then the outlet from res is sealed by water level in epi center than nothing else should matter.

I've seen a video of the idea in action but can't find it again.
the epi center is not sealed if it recirculates to a chiller man.if the water in the top off res is higher it will gravity feed into the epi center no matter what.water flows out of the epi center by the pipe that recirculates.If you put positive pressure in the epi the water will just fill up your buckets and over flow onto the floor no matter if the lid is sealed or not.

Top Bottom