Variations Of Clones?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I had a friend clone a Sativa based old strain (Matanuska Thunderf**k), and I asked him how they were coming , since they were taken right before flipping to 12/12 a few months back. He said that he got 3 or 4 clones off of the one cutting, but that they weren't uniform in growth. He said one was twice as tall as the other two, although they all looked somewhat similar.
Has anyone seen this much variation between clones take from the same cutting? He is using a clone machine and never had any problems like this before. Any thoughts?

Monster762

Monster762

I had a friend clone a Sativa based old strain (Matanuska Thunderf**k), and I asked him how they were coming , since they were taken right before flipping to 12/12 a few months back. He said that he got 3 or 4 clones off of the one cutting, but that they weren't uniform in growth. He said one was twice as tall as the other two, although they all looked somewhat similar.
Has anyone seen this much variation between clones take from the same cutting? He is using a clone machine and never had any problems like this before. Any thoughts?
I am kinda new so no long term experience here but I have done exactly that. I clone before flower n toss anything male once the donor shows in flower.
I’ve been cloning my first blotto ogk since I popped it. Not real long. Like a year. But running ( or trying to run ) 30 day harvests. So I cloned the chit out that plant. Cloned the clones n all. They are identical. Here is 4 clones my first blotto cut in net now. First time not doing multistrain grow. It’s all my original blotto clones off the clone I turned to a mother. 2 are bigger but that’s cause they got more pot space in coco. 4 gal fabric instead of 3 gal fabric
so bigger pots do = bigger plants.

Now I’m struggling to keep the cut cause the mother and all veg box got broad mites. So I’ll probably clone from flower box this far in to save it. Once I exterminate other end of house. Flower scoped couple times it’s safe so far. Organic treatments, oils ,de all that in place. I figured out what predator if necessary.
But enough stoned rambling. I’ve cloned all my strains n clones seem to be identical to parent and each other. Even on my unstable ones. Clones were all unstable together.

C7F165C0 8D7D 44D2 97BF D02F44402168
0976645C 0686 456C AD97 C71F0A66448A
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
My guess is two of them got stunted. Once they are all growing well they should even out. If three clones are taken from the same plant they should be identical. There could be slight variance due to varying environmental conditions (if exposed). But otherwise if they were grown in identical environments then they should all grow the same. It’s the same plant tissue at the same age.

Unless it was grafted with another strain before being cloned, but that seems very unlikely.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It’s possible the root growth is different or damaged and not taking nutrients the same as the other.

Phosphorous deficiency will result in a taller stretchy plant even if it doesn’t show leaf damage for example.

Just a guess.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Oh yes for sure.often wen a bigger clones taken or a clone doesn't root as well as one that roots fast there can be variations in size and speed of growth.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Its the strangest thing I have seen. It is a regular water mist clone machine that has worked without any issues for years. I am stumped as all of the other clones and related strains are pretty much identical, but the one is 2X the size of the others. I'll probably take a cut off of it and see if the cutting is different than cuttings taken at the very beginning of this fiasco. I can't see any way that there could be any differences.
I DID use some Colchicine on a few buds to mess with double genetics, but I don't think it was from the same area or plant and it didn't seem to work...next time I'll soak the whole seed.

Top Bottom