veg+bloom, 1 part powder in socal tap

• Thread starter ill eagle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I just finished my 3rd round of v+b and it keeps getting better the more i use it and tweak to my own settings. Im in tupur under floros in veg. i noticed i needed epsom salt (not calmag) and that shaped up the veg from its mag def (ec to 1.3).

1000hps/mh...In flower i have a starting ec of .3 (r/0 plus a little residual from previous rez=.3). I then add about 150g to a 55 gal rez. to get 1.3/1.4. Once i start using the p/k boost i only use 100-120g of base and 55g of p/k to get the 1.3-1.4 ec. most varieties liked it. a few like sour d and gg4 wanted more food. I think next round i may try 1.5ec.

Just curious how much Epsom you used per gallon for veg. Have no problems with veg+bloom hd formula in flower but veg can be a pain at times. -mag especially.

Quantrill

Quantrill

here is a good recipe for stock solution Epsom
158g epsom salt to 1 quart of RO water
gives you
30ppm Mag 110ppm sulfur @ 3ml per gal
or .3ec
which should give you the buffer capacity for VB to hold stable
My math doesn't jive with your results, Wisher619.

Epsom salt is 9.8% magnesium
a quart is .946 of a liter
a gallon is 3.785 liters

math showing the addition of 158 grams Epsom per Quart:

(1/.946)10 x 9.8 x 158=16,368 ppm or 1.637% Magnesium in the stock concentrate.
Hydrobuddy 158 grams Epsom in a quart

Math showing addition of 3 ml of 1.637% stock per gallon of working solution:

(1/3.785)10 x 1.637 x 3= 13 ppm magnesium in the working solution
Hydrobuddy wisher619 epsom stock 3ml per gallon

does the 30 ppm Mg and 110 ppm S include the V+B?
that must be what i am missing?....

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Any suggestions for a stock solution of epsom salt @Quantrill

Wisher619

Wisher619

My math doesn't jive with your results, Wisher619.

Epsom salt is 9.8% magnesium
a quart is .946 of a liter
a gallon is 3.785 liters

math showing the addition of 158 grams Epsom per Quart:

(1/.946)10 x 9.8 x 158=16,368 ppm or 1.637% Magnesium in the stock concentrate.
View attachment 658289

Math showing addition of 3 ml of 1.637% stock per gallon of working solution:

(1/3.785)10 x 1.637 x 3= 13 ppm magnesium in the working solution
View attachment 658288

does the 30 ppm Mg and 110 ppm S include the V+B?
that must be what i am missing?....
I appreciate your correction
I dont like giving people bad information
I usually never pass on information but that was a solution passed on to me
thank you

xeamonk

xeamonk

I used just RO with the RO/Soft formula. It may be of note that my R/O still comes out at around 30-40ppm(.1EC) lol.
I may try bringing up the RO to .2EC-.3EC next time and doing a stability test as well.

I wonder why even though it's an RO formula the directions on the back state to bring your water up to .3EC before you add the nutrients yet the front says "Recommended for use with all coco, hydroponic & aeroponic systems with water quality between 0.0-0.3EC" That would indicate to me that it's okay to add the nutrients to the water as long as it doesn't exceed 0.3EC
yo
I just got this stuff and am switching from gh cocotek, my tap is around 0.6ec so I cut it with RO. Having the same question I emailed the company and heres what they said:

"hi,

"i just got your v+b ro/soft and i was wondering the reason the instructions call for raising your source water to 0.3ec. would using a starting ec of 0.2 be ok as well?
i am unsure of my water quality and that is one reason i am using ro water, the water is from my well and i trust it for human consumption but i do not know anything factual."

V+B:
"
You can use calmag instead. The reason we say bring your water up is so the acid buffers in the product can have something to neutralize, if there is no mineral content in the water your pH will just keep dropping. Its not an issue of our product not having enough calcium and magnesium, its all do do with alkalinity. .2 EC starting point is fine."

---
hope that helps,
-cheers

Wisher619

Wisher619

yo
I just got this stuff and am switching from gh cocotek, my tap is around 0.6ec so I cut it with RO. Having the same question I emailed the company and heres what they said:

"hi,

"i just got your v+b ro/soft and i was wondering the reason the instructions call for raising your source water to 0.3ec. would using a starting ec of 0.2 be ok as well?
i am unsure of my water quality and that is one reason i am using ro water, the water is from my well and i trust it for human consumption but i do not know anything factual."

V+B:
"
You can use calmag instead. The reason we say bring your water up is so the acid buffers in the product can have something to neutralize, if there is no mineral content in the water your pH will just keep dropping. Its not an issue of our product not having enough calcium and magnesium, its all do do with alkalinity. .2 EC starting point is fine."

---
hope that helps,
-cheers

one reason why I feel that adding Mag and S is a better option
the amount of Ca is a little intense
I am gonna actually use a sweetner
which is basically Mag S and Simple Sugar chains
should work just fine

the buffer they use is Borax

Wisher619

Wisher619

what dosnt make sense is the fact that he was talking about alkalinity.....
the buffer they use Borax is super alkaline
so by adding something like calmg which would drop your ph to a better working solution
so I dont understand why the ph would fall if there is no base
I would think the ph would stay high with the buffer they use
maybe someone can help me understand

justiceman

justiceman

Right on for that info @xeamonk! I have not seen my ph drop yet but I've never used it with 0.0EC starting water either.

After tinkering around with .1EC up to .3EC starting water(mix of r/o and my tap that starts at .6EC typically)and 3g per gal of the soft/ro mix I have found out that my Ph stays the most stable with the starting water at .1EC. If I use .2-.3EC starting water then the Ph tends to creep up faster over time than a .1EC starting water.

I don't know what's in my tap so I can't say what makes it alkaline but that's what I've seen happen so far.

I had a conversation a little while back with them. I was told that Soft/RO formula doesn't have as many acid buffers in it compared to the Tap/Hard formula, which has more to deal with higher alkalinity starting water. I have not yet seen a need in my plants to add calcium or magnesium though.

Last edited:
vangs

vangs

You sir have damn GOOD tap.

I would get both and mix them. I'd say with the quality of your water you could do 75% tap formula and 25% dirty formula....and get really great results.
what if your using an r.o filter... which one should you use? my water ph is like 7.4-7.8 with ro and 150-200ppm

Wisher619

Wisher619

what if your using an r.o filter... which one should you use? my water ph is like 7.4-7.8 with ro and 150-200ppm
you might want to purchase a new ro membrane or a better pre sediment and carbon block
200ppm after RO tells me your RO machine isnt doing anything
unless your tap is sea water or sewage

Top Bottom