Very Basic First Grow

• Thread starter brian77
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sharty1

Sharty1

I'm so anxious mine will start showing Amber while we are gone for the weekend, must resist Premature Chop Syndrome!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I'm so anxious mine will start showing Amber while we are gone for the weekend, must resist Premature Chop Syndrome!

The plants mature fairly slowly. It's not like they are only good for a day or two and then turn to trash if you miss the "peak". I normally go longer than the signs that everyone seems to go by tell me to. By doing so I have learned that I get a lot more bulk and flavor by letting them go extra long, but everyone has a different preference. I let mine go like trees in the fall (unless I'm going to re-veg them)...the fan leaves start to lose their chlorophyll and the buds start to get "greasy" and sometimes change colors. Many wouldn't dream of letting that happen, since a lot of growers insist on taking them down based on trichome color alone.
Try your luck and see what happens. If you can, leave one plant to grow a little longer and see if you like the results. In any event, you will be happy with your results since nothing will be damaged.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Cheers! Have you pics of yours?? Looking forward for the buds

Week 9 -Getting frosty!!!!!
Upload 2019 2 19 22 39 59
Upload 2019 2 19 22 40 10
Upload 2019 2 19 22 40 28

brian77

brian77

Patience is the hardest part of starting to grow. Everyone is like an expectant father at their 1st babie's birth...by your 3rd or 4th grow you will probably throw out half of your current stuff and not worry about much of anything! The "Whiskers" that seem so huge while growing shrink down, and the buds look massive. This is the easiest time to get fooled as they look big, but they haven't got the heft that you get on the last couple of weeks. I tend to let mine go longer than most people, but I think it makes a difference in taste and activity. Keep up the good work!
Think I'll let mine go as long as possible. Been waiting this far, feck it, go the whole way :)

brian77

brian77

Height is always a problem for a new grower. Especially in a tent. May I suggest you kink the main stems near the top end.. Bend them over. It wont hurt the plant or cause problems. The plant will stop growing vertically and focus on the lower regions. I recommend you go to growweedeasy.org they have a lot of info you can read. Their plant diagnosis tool is very informative. Also excessive nitrogen in the flowering stage can delay flowering causing you to wait longer for your harvest.
cheers and good luck!
Bit of a random question but I reckon yous are the best guys to ask. Can the plant set off smoke alarms? Mines been going off randomly. Also, if you are in the same room as the plant, even if it's in a closet

brian77

brian77

Bit of a random question but I reckon yous are the best guys to ask. Can the plant set off smoke alarms? Mines been going off randomly. Also, if you are in the same room as the plant, even if it's in a closet
Can it cause head aches etc

brian77

brian77

Height is always a problem for a new grower. Especially in a tent. May I suggest you kink the main stems near the top end.. Bend them over. It wont hurt the plant or cause problems. The plant will stop growing vertically and focus on the lower regions. I recommend you go to growweedeasy.org they have a lot of info you can read. Their plant diagnosis tool is very informative. Also excessive nitrogen in the flowering stage can delay flowering causing you to wait longer for your harvest.
cheers and good luck!
Thanks so much. I'll take this advice. Just started work, will work on it when I'm home. I'll try bending it. Was worried about harming it but confident now

brian77

brian77

True That!! sometimes i feel like i am waiting again for my first to be born again.... I go to the cabinet several times a day, and have to force myself to walk away without opening the cabinet. I force my attention to the grow cabinet instead.

And now that i have two large colas to focus on, it is even harder.... i need at least another week probably two. Everything is still clear. Not even smokey, much less amber.

"open... open... open..." lol

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
It's hard work. Same same

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Think I'll let mine go as long as possible. Been waiting this far, feck it, go the whole way :)

Yup, Yup. The fact that i am 800 miles from home helps... they will make it at least until Saturday. I am hoping i can what i think will be a second week. :D

brian77

brian77

Yup, Yup. The fact that i am 800 miles from home helps... they will make it at least until Saturday. I am hoping i can what i think will be a second week. :D
Will be great to see it when you get back :)
I've a quick question. My friend is waiting for his seedling to come up. Same scenario as myself. His is in a small tent. He (and i) am wondering how close or far should he put his light. It's 400w led. I have individual bulbs so I could put one pretty close to stop it stretching. What do you reckon?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

Depends on the type of detector. An ionizing g detector wont fo off but a rate of rise heat detector would.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Will be great to see it when you get back :)
I've a quick question. My friend is waiting for his seedling to come up. Same scenario as myself. His is in a small tent. He (and i) am wondering how close or far should he put his light. It's 400w led. I have individual bulbs so I could put one pretty close to stop it stretching. What do you reckon?

Minimum 18"

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter

I think one reason that everyone is so obsessed with the trichome color change is that, as a commercial grower, your return on your money drops off during the end stage. While the trichomes might indicate maturity, they don't indicate the end of the story since a LOT of the flavor and appearance develops during the last week or two...but those same two weeks can be used to start a new crop. It's sort of a trade off. A fully matured and finished bud is different than the usual bright green nuggets that are popular. Maybe it's more like good wine...you can make excellent wine with little aging, but you can't easily duplicate the taste of well aged wine. Each type has it's own flavors and it depends on people's tastes, for the most part. The difference between THC levels is pretty small between fully finished and regular finished...it's mostly a matter of preference. If it was a drag race, it might be the fresh bud's win, but only by a bumper.
Of course, this is all my opinion. I'm not an expert.

brian77

brian77

I think one reason that everyone is so obsessed with the trichome color change is that, as a commercial grower, your return on your money drops off during the end stage. While the trichomes might indicate maturity, they don't indicate the end of the story since a LOT of the flavor and appearance develops during the last week or two...but those same two weeks can be used to start a new crop. It's sort of a trade off. A fully matured and finished bud is different than the usual bright green nuggets that are popular. Maybe it's more like good wine...you can make excellent wine with little aging, but you can't easily duplicate the taste of well aged wine. Each type has it's own flavors and it depends on people's tastes, for the most part. The difference between THC levels is pretty small between fully finished and regular finished...it's mostly a matter of preference. If it was a drag race, it might be the fresh bud's win, but only by a bumper.
Of course, this is all my opinion. I'm not an expert.
I really like your theory. This input is great. I was thinking along this lines. Sort of confirms what i originally planned. Thanks so much mate

Latest posts

Top Bottom