Very Small Grow - Inexpensive Led Options

• Thread starter zbudz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

zbudz

(First post here.)

I have two very small grow areas. Each is 2' x 4' x 6' (48 cu. ft.) Veg side is doing well under T5s. When it comes to flowering, I figure 3 (4 max) five gallon containers will fit in the flower side.

Was originally planning on staying with T5s for the flower side - sacrificing max growth for low energy usage & heat. But now I'm thinking LEDs because it looks like a decent unit for such a small area (.75 sq meter) can be had for less than $200. Any suggestions for the biggest bang for the buck in the LED arena?

Regarding DIY, I'm not up to spending the time on a complete build such as if found in the very extensive thread here - https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/diy-led-with-cobs-small-medium-and-large-grows.64252/ - but certainly could something along the lines of this video (which basically just strings together some led down bulbs):

Thanks for any ideas!

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

You can get a 300 watt mars hydro light from ebay for 70$
You can also get t5 flowering bulbs which have really good reviews

Z

zbudz

You can get a 300 watt mars hydro light from ebay for 70$
You can also get t5 flowering bulbs which have really good reviews

Thanks.

After a bit of research, I bought something after realizing not much would be saved on a DIY considering all of the time involved. Saw the Mars light but after checking out the reviews I ended up going with the 300w LED from Galaxyhydro - $110.

My T5s are from HTG. When I went in they recommended the 10,000 lumen 2' x 2 double bulb units from TEK. Purchased two at $70@, one with 6500K bulbs and one with 3000K. The original intention was to use one for flowering, but I (optimistically) realized that it wouldn't give sufficient coverage. I'll eventually use it one as a supplement, first for vegging (HTG gave me an extra 6500 bulb, what great folks there!) and then for flower.

Z

zbudz

Quick followup. Amazon gets the US Post Office to deliver on Sunday.

This dinky little box has the lights that I ordered? Really?

Open 'er up. Nice sturdy construction, but looks smaller than I imagined.

Plug it in.

Blinding.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Which light?
Quick followup. Amazon gets the US Post Office to deliver on Sunday.

This dinky little box has the lights that I ordered? Really?

Open 'er up. Nice sturdy construction, but looks smaller than I imagined.

Plug it in.

Blinding.

keiksweat

keiksweat

Mentioned in a previous post: it's the 300w LED from Galaxyhydro, currently $110 via Amazon (had better overall reviews than the Mars one). Scary bright.
Pictures plz mate,let's have a look then.

Z

zbudz

Pictures plz mate,let's have a look then.

Here are three Burmese Kush plants (4 weeks old today) plus one Power Kush that I moved to the led area today (3 weeks old).

led20151216_2.jpg

They're about 20 inches away from the light:

led20151216_1.jpg

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

Im a marshydro owner 300 watt.
LOVE IT !!! So how is yours going??

Z

zbudz

Great! I added another Galaxyhydro for better coverage and more height flexibility. Two of 'em raises the temp a bit more than I thought it would, but still manageable. Gets to about 88 degrees (passive intake, 100 cfm exhaust fan in a <50 cubic foot space). Plants really took off nicely and going to start the three large ones flowering soon. Waited a little too long in the 1 gallon containers as they got root bound. Transplanted into squat 4 gallon buckets (mistake) and am moving the girls (burmese kush from old seeds - 3 out of 3 females) into 5 gallon air pruning buckets.

20160109.jpg

boshuter

boshuter

Do you veg with the Mars 300 watt? I currently veg in a 2 1/2 X 4 area under a 4ft 8 bulb T5. Was wondering if 2 of the Mars 300's would work as well? They are cheap enough, can get 2 for $120 shipped and save a little electricity that could go toward more flower lights. Just not sure if 2 of them would do as well as my T5, any thoughts?

I'd like to just build my own led for the veg space, I know I could build one that pulls 300w that would kill the T5, just too costly to do right now.

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

yes i am vegging with my mars hydro 300
it took a few days for the plants to start to dig it but now they seem to be thriveing!!

H

hawkman

Here are three Burmese Kush plants (4 weeks old today) plus one Power Kush that I moved to the led area today (3 weeks old).

led20151216_2.jpg

They're about 20 inches away from the light:

led20151216_1.jpg
what distance do you veg at ? and flower at ? I'm thinking 18-20 flower ? veg at 24 ? will led's cause short plants ? had the Galaxyhydro 300 at about 14-16 inches in veg 4 out of 5 plants were very short (8-12 inches)
Damm I F@#$%& - up - my 1st grow with led's - ant info you can pass on ?? thanks

Monster762

Monster762

That little 300w galaxy will work nice for flower. One thing about the galaxy is it has good flowering spectrum. Notice the high amount of red to blue. I have to get 2 leds for my new room and the 600w galaxy is what I wanted but I really need a 1000-1200w on each side n galaxy doesn’t make them

E

EmilyTaylor

Now that you mentioned, it made me realize that 300w seems like the only one. I don't even see other LED Grow Lights from the series on Amazon. You can choose something else for 1000-1200w. Have you think of any other brands? How about these ones:

Monster762

Monster762

Now that you mentioned, it made me realize that 300w seems like the only one. I don't even see other LED Grow Lights from the series on Amazon. You can choose something else for 1000-1200w. Have you think of any other brands? How about these ones:
I been looking at these cheap hollandstar 1000w cob leds. $129 each. I Figure 2 is $260 shipped so even if they only last 1 run for $260 I still save money.ill be running with a 4 ft 8 bulb t5 with 3000k bulbs in flower. I Only use leds in flower. They’d only have to add an oz to my yield to pay for themselves. I don’t sell nothing but it’s still money not spent on personal bud.

R

Rocky388

Thanks.

After a bit of research, I bought something after realizing not much would be saved on a DIY considering all of the time involved. Saw the Mars light but after checking out the reviews I ended up going with the 300w LED from Galaxyhydro - $110.

My T5s are from HTG. When I went in they recommended the 10,000 lumen 2' x 2 double bulb units from TEK. Purchased two at $70@, one with 6500K bulbs and one with 3000K. The original intention was to use one for flowering, but I (optimistically) realized that it wouldn't give sufficient coverage. I'll eventually use it one as a supplement, first for vegging (HTG gave me an extra 6500 bulb, what great folks there!) and then for flower.
1000wt from Best leds...$132.00...adjust height

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

Galaxy lights aren't shit. They are less the half the actual wattage, ( I have one, the 300 draws 135/140 watts from wall )

One light will flower one plant. Glad u bought a second, but I had one, a two bulb four ft t5, and 6 42w cfl bulbs made into 2 bulb hoods using 4" dryer venting.

Barely enough light for 2 plants

GL to u man

C

christopherx

Hello everyone!

I am new in growing weed indoor and I'm looking for some LED grow light suggestions!

Thanks a lot!

DGP

DGP

This is an old thread but read all the stickies and some of the other posts in this LED forum.

Mars, Morsen, Galaxy Hydro and all these commercial (pink colored light) light fixtures are pretty much all a rip off. If you want a cheap light that won't do much better than any other light then buy one of them. If you want a real LED system then study the stickies and buy or build a light that doesn't make pink or blurple light and actually doesn't include total lies in the specifications such as 600W when it really draws 200W. COBs or Quantum panels are the real deal. Most of the lights on Amazon or Ebay are crap and have false/misleading specifications.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/led-lighting-sh-t-or-shinola.94690/

Dee

Latest posts

Top Bottom