want more females???

• Thread starter med man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Tell us how you're doing it, see if anyone else can replicate your success. ;)

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

Tell us how you're doing it, see if anyone else can replicate your success. ;)
Okay sounds good ... hope no one gets mad at meBUT actually if it helps others as it did me too access meds and not waste space while waiting for ur girls to come☺
now it's said that u look for the seeds that are perfect round and the volcano look where the tap root starts.
some are like oval shape (not whole seed )just the end where root comes out.

coloradoBTC

coloradoBTC

yeah I am testing that exact method right now. I picked 4 of the most round circled ones and so far 2 are female, one hasn't shown, and 1 male

also observing feminized seeds, all mine look even more perfect of a circle. but I do have 2 feminized autoflower seeds that look distorted as hell. this method might not work on ruderalis hybrids

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

yeah I am testing that exact method right now. I picked 4 of the most round circled ones and so far 2 are female, one hasn't shown, and 1 male

also observing feminized seeds, all mine look even more perfect of a circle. but I do have 2 feminized autoflower seeds that look distorted as hell. this method might not work on ruderalis hybrids
Right on ! When I first seen info I was VERY VERY skeptical. Wasting a month for males . But I've got like 98 % or so success rate not much more . One grow where I did random our of 12 I kept 4. Pretty good if u ask me . Of course, IMO. ☺

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok, so... you're saying that if the little indentation is round, or more round, it's female, but if it's more oval then it's male? I hope I remember this!

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
An ol' wives tale that was published in high times or some other magazine:

Seedssex

Seed crater shape is not a sex-linked trait.

Also, to test something like that, a ratio in percentage, you'd need more than a couple of dozen or couple of hundred seeds, i.e. thousands.

Additionally, sex is like many other traits a phenotype, influenced by the environment.

The sexual differentiation of Cannabis sativa L.: A morphological and molecular study
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10681-004-4758-7

"Microscopic analysis of male and female apices revealed that their reproductive commitment may occur as soon as the leaves of the fourth node emerge";

This is why labs that test for sex (some potency test labs offer that service too) require leaves from after 4th/5th node, from mature plants, that have committed to become a male or female. Up till that point the environment influences the outcome, and is why some of the stuff in the OP may work (for some strains...).

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
(I posted this somewhere 'round here a few years back...)

In the mid 70s, during winter break from the mountains,
I'd did Cannabis research at the UOG reference library
and I'd always check out the bibliographies
in the back of the old books.

One scientific paper was in German and the title
<from what I could discern> seemed very interesting.

I had a friend who was a Philosophy major/German minor
who managed to get a copy and translated it for me.

It said that you could tell the sex of the seed by whether it was more ovalish or more roundish (varied by population/type).
It mentioned the "football shaped seeds" (soccer???).

I never bothered to check that out
'cause I've always wanted my "50%" males--
how else would I choose breeders???...

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

Tried this with Purple pain killers n got 4/4 males lol. I think seeds are born male or female. didnt try the Glr but the low N and temps.
Could man .. I'm learning most my answers from here (THC FARMER)☺

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

I respect that. I'm not pro and I'm only putting it up cus I been havin good results... Sorry GGGGGRRRRRREAT , that's better. TOTALLY IMO☺

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

When I prepare my beans I throw one extra in and assume they are goin to take up the spaces in my garden . I got 13 wee ones and I will be posting my quest for the perfect female!!!☺

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
The seed shape as well as the indentation is heavily determined by the location in the flower clusters and other circumstances that do not change the genetics of the plant in the seed. I have plants that produce zero round seeds and yet plenty of females. Preflower seeds in my case always produce round craters and tend to have light bulb shape, like the pointy light bulb, and produce both males and females.

While genetics influences the seeds, it's the genetics of the parents (grandparents of the seeds) that determine the seed shape, not the future plant 'in' the seed (which has no influence on what it's mom does).

Will be harvesting some seeds from 'the swan' (an f2 plant from my P cross) for the third time and the seeds look different, again. The latest are huge, sunflower shaped. One sibling cross, one back cross, one out cross. First on hydro, second in soil with mineral, third organic.

how else would I choose breeders???...
Yes and I like my males to be males and no masculine females.

According to some doc about the cannabis genome the sexual expression is determined by ratio of X allosomes to autosomes (common for many plants, opposed to Y determinate). In other words, how many X chromosomes it has compared to the non sex chromosomes. In other words XX is female because it has 2 X chromosomes (2 X's creating enough of the proteins and hormones that make it female). Male is not male because genes on the Y chromosome but because it has only 1 X chromosome.

Now, if you have a seed with XX and it turns out to grow with staminate flowers ("male" is a misnomer) it means the female expression normally caused by X's are suppressed. Which means one or both X are 'weak', influencable.

Instead of using the environmental influence to get more males it would (for breeding or finding a keeper to clone) be wiser to do the same thing to find a female that despite the attempts to get more males still expresses as 100% pistilate plant (what we call female).

But again, this is hard to measure without testing a LOT of plants. If you get 10 males out of a 10-pack it's possibly just bad luck. I.e. with 50-50 chance on a batch of 10 it's statistically not unlikely to get 10 the same. Try flipping a coin 10 times and do that 10 times.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter

I tried <am trying> a little light dep thing to get some early tastes
(only dep I've done before is the old inverted trash can...).

For the first group (extras from seed) I apparently had a light leak,
as almost half of 'em <sexed: female pre-flowers> flowered male
(I reckon at this point <from some things I've read...> I'm supposed to be bad-mouthing the breeders for the hermaphrodites
[caused by my light leak Heh]).

Anyway, from other reading I'm trying to digest,
the females that flowered male (because of the light leak stress)
are the ones that were unacceptable as breeder plants;
while the ones that flowered female <like their pre-flowers>
are the ones acceptable as breeders
(after consideration of many other factors, of course)--
is that correct???...

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
@med man says less nitrogen = more females.

So, if I've got a "sexed" garden (all showed female pre-flowers);
I can increase nitrogen to expose staminate producing females--
and cull those plants that have hermaphroditic tendencies???...

Last edited:
420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

The seed shape as well as the indentation is heavily determined by the location in the flower clusters and other circumstances that do not change the genetics of the plant in the seed. I have plants that produce zero round seeds and yet plenty of females. Preflower seeds in my case always produce round craters and tend to have light bulb shape, like the pointy light bulb, and produce both males and females.

While genetics influences the seeds, it's the genetics of the parents (grandparents of the seeds) that determine the seed shape, not the future plant 'in' the seed (which has no influence on what it's mom does).

Will be harvesting some seeds from 'the swan' (an f2 plant from my P cross) for the third time and the seeds look different, again. The latest are huge, sunflower shaped. One sibling cross, one back cross, one out cross. First on hydro, second in soil with mineral, third organic.

According to some doc about the cannabis genome the sexual expression is determined by ratio of X allosomes to autosomes (common for many plants, opposed to Y determinate). In other words, how many X chromosomes it has compared to the non sex chromosomes. In other words XX is female because it has 2 X chromosomes (2 X's creating enough of the proteins and hormones that make it female). Male is not male because genes on the Y chromosome but because it has only 1 X chromosome.

Now, if you have a seed with XX and it turns out to grow with staminate flowers ("male" is a misnomer) it means the female expression normally caused by X's are suppressed. Which means one or both X are 'weak', influencable.

Instead of using the environmental influence to get more males it would (for breeding or finding a keeper to clone) be wiser to do the same thing to find a female that despite the attempts to get more males still expresses as 100% pistilate plant (what we call female).

But again, this is hard to measure without testing a LOT of plants. If you get 10 males out of a 10-pack it's possibly just bad luck. I.e. with 50-50 chance on a batch of 10 it's statistically not unlikely to get 10 the same. Try flipping a coin 10 times and do that 10 times.
That was a good read , will be Tryin to learn and this is cool stuff to get to understand. PpP peace

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
If a female hermies under abnormal circumstances that are not likely to reoccur it's not necessarily an issue. When you got one special pheno that hermies only with major light leaks or N overdose I don't necessarily consider it unacceptable to use it for breeding. But when you can pick between females that did and didn't hermie than yes I would certainly consider those good strong females in this context.

Possibly even for feminized seeds. I.e. Grab one (a branch of) that didn't hermie and use CS or STS to force it to grow staminate flowers after all and drop the pollen on another that didn't hermie. That way you don't reintroduce a possibly less committed X from a male. That's I guess a controversial comment by itself, I'm essentially suggesting creating feminized seeds can be a good way to breed out hermies...

Will the seeds I get from a female plant be female?
If the pollen is from a female. Female x Female = Female (because both parents only have X to share not an Y, they can only produce XX). Preferably not pollen from a female that produces male flowers under normal circumstances. Look up "Tiresias Mist Directions" on youtube for a simple example video.

So, if I've got a "sexed" garden (all showed female pre-flowers);
I can increase nitrogen to expose staminate producing females--
and cull those plants that have hermaphroditic tendencies???...
I think medman refers to males as in complete males from the very first pre-flower. There are multiple types of bisexual inflorescences. My point is that if increasing nitrogen = more males then that doesn't necessarily make the hermies with late flower nanners, and the others types in between, show themselves.

Was it a large light leak messing up the cycle or some small holes? Multiple strains?

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

Yeah I got a multi strain (seed) garden lol . I germinate and see what I get. I made some seeds this time, exposed certain plants , it seems to have worked out so I hope to have worked. I'm Goin to invest in certain strains too work on the med chest ☺,
20150714 205717

med man

med man

Breeder
I would say higher ppm in general

But with elements lower n and p and higher k

med-man

Latest posts

Top Bottom