waterproof paint to lightproof DIY 27 gal totes

• Thread starter strawD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

strawD

I have a veg system that has lots of holes in the lid, so its too much of a pain to try to cut a piece of blackwhite poly to fit them all and still block the light effectively. In searching online, i found this marine paint. anyone have any opinions on it? It says fiberglass, metal, wood, doesnt mention plastic.

any other options out there? to get a qt plus some thinner ( they say required) its still gonna be like 50$ just to make my lid lightproof, but i'd have some left for future projects, if i ever need it.

squarepusher

squarepusher

how about just cut a big piece and drape it over the whole thing?

S

strawD

cut a big piece of what and drape it? did you read the post? My lid has 14 holes in it. some are for 5.5" net pots, some are for 2" neoprene inserts. like i said in the original post cutting holes from B/W poly is not an option.

S

strawD

Rustoleum patio furniture paint.

have you used it? how long have the systems with this paint been in use? do they stay mostly dry or does water occasionaly splash on the paint and drip back into the system? I saw that stuff at the HD but it says not for submersion or something like that. I'm just worried about something leaching out of the paint and back into the res, cause water definately does squirt through the net pots sometimes and collect on the lid then drip back in.
hope you've used it with good results, would save me lots of time and$$!

convex

convex

have you used it? how long have the systems with this paint been in use? do they stay mostly dry or does water occasionaly splash on the paint and drip back into the system? I saw that stuff at the HD but it says not for submersion or something like that. I'm just worried about something leaching out of the paint and back into the res, cause water definately does squirt through the net pots sometimes and collect on the lid then drip back in.
hope you've used it with good results, would save me lots of time and$$!

I have used it with good results on 5 gallon pails, never had any problems with it leaching back into container.

I spray a layer of matt black for light proofing, let dry, then follow with a coat of glossy white for reflection.

Cheers

J

JAHGYDI

krylon fusion. i sprayed a piece of pvc for inside my salt water reef tank 4 years ago. still going.

convex

convex

I have used Krylon for patio too - damned good stuff also.

Top Bottom