What Are These Bugs

• Thread starter MeanGreen420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

They are flying around on my light. I knocked one down and took a picture.

What are these bugs
ethcan

ethcan

Bugs this large are usually a non issue, as they are easy to eliminate. The reason why spider mites, thrips, broad/russets, root aphids, are that they generally reproduce very quickly and can hide. A bug like this could be squashed with a paper towel, and is not going to reproduce and build a colony without you knowing.

Madbud

Madbud

Not an expert but that looks like something that started as a grub. They gotta lay eggs someplace.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Not an expert but that looks like something that started as a grub. They gotta lay eggs someplace.

That's true, although a lot of bugs come out at this time of year (in the northern hem). I have only had 1 problem with an indoor grow with bugs in the soil, which were the sow/potato bugs...like little armadillos that curl up when you poke 'em and eat the roots off of your plants. I would think that by the time the grow was finished the bugs wouldn't have had much time to reproduce...but all bugs are different and just because I don't have a problem in Pittsburgh doesn't mean it doesn't happen in Hawaii.
Keep your eyes open and check the soil for root suckers and eggs! Good catch, Madbud!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Bugs this large are usually a non issue, as they are easy to eliminate. The reason why spider mites, thrips, broad/russets, root aphids, are that they generally reproduce very quickly and can hide. A bug like this could be squashed with a paper towel, and is not going to reproduce and build a colony without you knowing.

Do not squish it with a paper towel. That looks like a type of blister beetle. If it is one and you get it's toxin on you it's gonna ruin your day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom