What Are You Pulling...... Grams Per Watt Please?

• Thread starter Desertdweler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

What Type of Light do you use for Flowering?

• HPS

Votes: 77 27.3%
  • MH

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • LEC

Votes: 14 5.0%
  • LED

Votes: 202 71.6%
  • Flourescent

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Incandescent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I sort of think the GPW thing is a bit overrated for home gardens. Commercially sure, it matters, at home all I care about is quality. $50-$75 more on power per grow cycle doesnt mean much to me.

I run my HPS lamps about 750w half of flower and 1000w the rest in an 8x8. An average crop is about 3.5lb so .75gpw-1gpw.

There is no doubt the lamps arent as efficient as LED but I also utilize the heat from them most of the year so it's not really wasted electricity.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Unless you veg longer...that is the other problem with grams per watt. Unless every parameter is the same it is really a lot dependent on grow style, experience and strain.
I grew malawi X panama and i will grow 1 or 2 in my 4 x 4. The GPW will suck but wow is that an amazing strain. It might do better indoors but both plants would probably get 6 oz in my 4 x 4 with a 315 CMH or 300 watts of Quantum boards

I grew critical mass and it tastes great. I bet it will get a crazy GPW because of the bud density. I will get 5 to 8 oz from 3 critical mass with 200 watts of timber vero.

So many variables mess with that metric for measurement.

Yep, a more accurate measurement would be dividing the total kilowatt hours used for every piece of equipment for the entire grow cycle by your yield.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I sort of think the GPW thing is a bit overrated for home gardens. Commercially sure, it matters, at home all I care about is quality. $50-$75 more on power per grow cycle doesnt mean much to me.

I run my HPS lamps about 750w half of flower and 1000w the rest in an 8x8. An average crop is about 3.5lb so .75gpw-1gpw.

There is no doubt the lamps arent as efficient as LED but I also utilize the heat from them most of the year so it's not really wasted electricity.
I run 750 watts of DE HPS in a 4x8 and I can pull a kilo from it also. quality shouldn't have to mean less production.
DSCN0789

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I run 750 watts of DE HPS in a 4x8 and I can pull a kilo from it also. quality shouldn't have to mean less production.View attachment 860960
750 DE HPS is a lot different than 750 HPS. I also turn around crop cycles in 2.5-3 months for that yield using basic promix. They only veg for about 3 weeks before flip.

Again why I think total kwh used for the whole cycle divided by yield is a more accurate measurement.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I use the metric of actual cost per pound produced which includes everything but my labor.

Same here. Only I do it by ounce and it works out to about $10-$15 per ounce to produce dependi g on the strain. The commercial guys I know are closer to $30 per oz for black market pot including labour costs. The LPs are closer to $2.50 per gram indoor, less than a dollar greenhouse.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Only difference is I run coir. 3 weeks veg from rooted cutting 63-70 days flowering, my room is a 8x12 750 watts DE on one side and 540 watts of LED's on the other side for the winter months. In summer I split my LED's up and run 270 watts on a flip which gets me a pound a month production rate.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Same here. Only I do it by ounce and it works out to about $10-$15 per ounce to produce dependi g on the strain. The commercial guys I know are closer to $30 per oz for black market pot including labour costs. The LPs are closer to $2.50 per gram indoor, less than a dollar greenhouse.
Without labor I'm between $7.50 - $8 a ounce running the LED's. Biggest advantage of LED's is I no longer half to run my mini-split in the summer.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Only difference is I run coir. 3 weeks veg from rooted cutting 63-70 days flowering, my room is a 8x12 750 watts DE on one side and 540 watts of LED's on the other side for the winter months. In summer I split my LED's up and run 270 watts on a flip which gets me a pound a month production rate.

Nice, that's very similar to mine, I pull 4 crops per year with mine which works out to 12-15 pounds a year as well. But I do run a few more watts of lighting. But again, I need the heat they give off as it's cold in Canada a lot of the year.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Without labor I'm between $7.50 - $8 a ounce running the LED's. Biggest advantage of LED's is I no longer half to run my mini-split in the summer.

Very respectable cost per ounce. I just try not to get too hung up about overall cost as long as its reasonable. I find the whole gpw thing to be a bit pointless and largely irrelevant on a small scale. It's like comparing penis size... More to do with bragging rights than anything. The difference between $8 per ounce and $10 or $15 even is kinda silly in the grand scheme of things.

I

Ikkt

The last couple of years I always had about 1-1.3g/W no matter which cultivar (mostly classics like skunk#1, NL#5, Blueberry, Powerplant and Cbd skunkhaze.)
Setup was 2x70W CDM-T elite with really shitty shoplight reflectors in a 2' x 2' mini tent, 6 Plants from clone without real veg (rooted clones put in 3.5L pots and 30min longer nights every day stopping at 14/10, no hard switch to 12/12 and no 12/12 cycle till the last weeks of flower) organic/mineral hydro with Perlite/Topora based substrate.

It doesn't cover my (medical) usage at all, but my space is limited and I think that's pretty good for a micro tent.
I'm really looking forward to see what's possible with cobs/led Strips once I figured it all out!

And yeah Gpw is a really bad metric, GpKwh is the only reasonable easy to use and calculate metric. If you use cost per weight you always have to figure in equipment cost etc. and that gets too complicated for many folks and would be too dependent on good or bad deals. It's possibly a good metric to measure a growers overall success but not so much for efficiency of equipment and growing skills I think.

Edit:
And I believe or better hope that most people want to know it for themselves and not to brag. I want to know if something gets better or not, if the new expensive led can do what it should and the like. That's the first time I put something about my yield in public in nearly two decades and 1-1.3 is nothing to brag about I think. People who only want to brag just claim some Bullshit numbers.

Last edited:
MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Very respectable cost per ounce. I just try not to get too hung up about overall cost as long as its reasonable. I find the whole gpw thing to be a bit pointless and largely irrelevant on a small scale. It's like comparing penis size... More to do with bragging rights than anything. The difference between $8 per ounce and $10 or $15 even is kinda silly in the grand scheme of things.
You will though as the prices are dropping fast, but I've always been that way coming from a AG family with cost of production vs profits from farming.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
You will though as the prices are dropping fast, but I've always been that way coming from a AG family with cost of production vs profits from farming.

I'll be straight up that I dont really do this for the profit honestly, I'm by no means a cash cropper. Im in the wrong province for that lol. In BC you can buy ounces for $80-$100 Canadian ($50-$75 USD)pretty much everywhere. This is really just a hobby and means of producing my own medicine, and recreational smoke. Plus I just really enjoy the process and the shed is a place where I can get away from everything. Its truely my man cave. A lot of my pot gets given away to friends and family. Though I do like to recoup my expenses.

Nothing like watching the smile grow across your buddies face when you toss them an ounce of Dank, stinky kush on tha house.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
On the way to work this morning I saw a dispensary sighn “$3 grams” figure that one out fellas?

Lol yeah, you've gotta move that 2 year old outdoor pot somehow.

My local dispensary owner is a friend of mine. They are stocked full of cheap ass old outdoor they buy for like $2-300/lb. I inquired about their blueberry once because I like it so much. He smirked and said dont bother. Its 2017 outdoor.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Howdy neighbor, in prohibition land also, just to the left of you :)...
If Ill, then at least you have Medical. I'm about 40 miles east of Hoopeston. This states Governor already stated no Medical till declassified by the Fed's.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
If Ill, then at least you have Medical. I'm about 40 miles east of Hoopeston. This states Governor already stated no Medical till declassified by the Fed's.
There is medical but no growing your own. And good luck getting a card. I have had 6 major surgeries including open heart surg. and i dont qualify...

Top Bottom