what is optimum distance between baby plants and CFl lamps ?

• Thread starter charlesweedmore
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

charlesweedmore

Hi fellas

i began from seeds and i put my seeds into rockwool cubes and they are in the humidity dome .temp is 25 C and humidity more than 99 %

i have 10 fem seeds . i'll use 2 X 36W CFl @ 6400K for first week until i remove them from humidity dome .

after they root ( after i remove them from the dome ,i will put them under 4 X 55w PL-L lamps. i have 600W dual spectrum hps for lately vegging and flowering .

my questions :

1 ) what is the optimum distance between baby plants and CFl lamps ? is 1 foot distance good for first 7 days ?

2 ) are 2 X 36 W CFl lamps enough for 10 seeds for first few days ? how long should i put them in the dome under CFLs ?

3) when they root ( about after first week) ,I'll put them under 4 X 55 W PL-L lamps and i'll put lamps 5-10 cm away from plants .is it good ?

4 ) i am germinating into rockwool cubes. i water everyday rockwool cubes,is it true ?

Thanks .

U

ukcheesehead

i use a 125 enviro and keep it 6cm from the tops with a fan blowing on the bulb. hope this helps

mace

mace

I dont works with CFL's a lot so i would look to others to answer whether or not you have enough intensity. However, a foot away will work. With the T-5 fixtures i have my plants stay 6 inches away. PAR loss happens over distance, so you want them as close as they can manage.

Seedlings natural environment is growing through underbrush. clones and Seedlings really only need about 50% give or take of normal lighting.
If you want to use a dome for the first few days, you can. Seedlings dont need this like clones do, from my experience. However, a 2 day period after popping through soil, slowly acclimating them, may help.

Watering rockwool everyday while waiting for them to pop through isn't going to help. You should soak the medium and them allow for it to get to about 30% of the moisture that was there when you soaked it originally, before giving water again.
The stage that you are at, that little plant is taking up next to nothing in water. There is no need to replace a ton of water loss from evaporation. Plus, plants roots like air. You don't want to drown the little fuckers.

hope that helped

C

charlesweedmore

thanks my friends..

it is my first indoor experience ..it is a bit hard to grow without sun !

budboy299

budboy299

I run 2- 42 watt cfl for babies and they get to within an inch of these with no troubles. Lots of light from the time they pop will keep them from getting too leggy and spindly.

L

Limeygreen

As close as possible I have found is the best way. Make sure they don't touch, you have lots of air movement, not too much just a nice passive amount to keep the air active. Keeps seedlings nice and compact. about half inch to one inch is what I like to get away with tubes.

T

TheNman

Charles,

About the watering.
Rockwool will keep a good amount of air in them at most times, as they'll drip dry. Seeing the colour difference between a soaked a properly wet cube is easy.
Go for an in between colour.

Personally, when i take clones, i won't water for the first 2 or 3 days. If the humidity is low, i might give them a squirt around the stem, just so they stay moist. Then, for the next 1.5 weeks, i water them every 3 to 4 days, soaking the whole cube.

Just keep paying attention and don't let em get too light or too dark.

F

FastForward

I run a 125w CFL and a 110w setup and as others have said, just get your plants as close as possible without touching or feeling the heat (a few cms). Even if they touch it's not terrible, but they will get a bit burned. Keep the tops a few cms away and you'll be fine....don't let them get too far though.

As for rockwool....F*CK ROCKWOOL!!! Go coco and be free! (This message has been brought to you by the Pro Coco Lobby, and by the letters T, H and C)

C

charlesweedmore

i heard some " damp off" issues with germinating coco.i will out them coco after thet sprout.

B

bubbak

as for damping off use "no damp" a drop per liter

can only get it in canada not us so of your in us then buy some on ebay

now for the floros: just like the nice folks said, a few inches with a gentle breeze
its easier to over water seedings indoors

very important floro note: get the 6500K ones only, super blue, you dont want red, red will make more males

good luck :)

S

seven0seven

Keep em 1 in or so... Fine with them touching, it wont burn em (that ive seen), but I keep em not touching just to be safe.

true grit

true grit

This grow with Autos and 1 ktrain I had them veggin under 3 65w(2700k) and 4 23w(6500k) at less than an inch. Switched the blues out for 42w 2700k at flower of Ktrain. They all seemed to dig the mix spectrum and vegged very well. Check my pics for example.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
how far close can i keep t5s from seedlings w/ a fan blowing on the light?

C

CoughingMan

how far close can i keep t5s from seedlings w/ a fan blowing on the light?

well put your hand underneath the light, wherever your stop feeling heat, that should be a good distance. And be careful with a fan blowing on the seedlings. they could get wind-burn.

I have my T5s almost touching the damn plants but they put off no heat so they can...

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
hey cough, how does you t5 put off no heat at all ? what comp? my fan is blowing through a silkskreen, no direct wind, just enough for airflow betw. my light and babies, they are doin great, at about 4 maybe 3 inches away

M

Moose71

as for damping off use "no damp" a drop per liter

can only get it in canada not us so of your in us then buy some on ebay

now for the floros: just like the nice folks said, a few inches with a gentle breeze
its easier to over water seedings indoors

very important floro note: get the 6500K ones only, super blue, you dont want red, red will make more males

good luck :)
i use 2, 32w 2700k and 2, 26w 6500k per 4 seedlings , placed about 3in. away till' they get about 3-4in. and bush out a little then i throw them under the led.

Top Bottom