What Is This Bug In My Soil?

• Thread starter Jokefox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jokefox

Jokefox

New to soil and new to bugs. These guys were all over the roots of my super stressed out plant I chopped down. Thanks for any help

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Root aphids fo sh man
Use neem meal in soil next go.
Toss that soil.
Check all areas and other plants for it, as a precaution use neem meal in all adjacent planters

Jokefox

Jokefox

I think I'm just gonna finish this run and go back to coco coir honestly. I tried to go organic but in winter it's kinda hard

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I think I'm just gonna finish this run and go back to coco coir honestly. I tried to go organic but in winter it's kinda hard
Organic is easy once you learn the methods , and frankly easier. But yes bugs can be a show stopper .
I’d say run another run side by side and you will appreciate the results if you get things dialed in.

Jokefox

Jokefox

I have been running the same 4 strains for over a year. I know them extremely well. I do have another tent going also pure synthetic coco drip. Those plants buds are probably a good 3x the size, same week. When summer comes around I'm going to compost all the soil I made and hopefully nature balances it out for me. I can also really get into knf when I have nature on my side

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I have been running the same 4 strains for over a year. I know them extremely well. I do have another tent going also pure synthetic coco drip. Those plants buds are probably a good 3x the size, same week. When summer comes around I'm going to compost all the soil I made and hopefully nature balances it out for me. I can also really get into knf when I have nature on my side
Yea man once you go organic and it works! You will never look back! It’s forgiving but yes you do gotta dial it in to your environment and the fauna there. Little nematodes/ beneficial flora, some natural amendments and water! But it does take a few runs to gain that if you’ve never done it!
Took me a year of trial and failure to dial in what works for me in my grow environment

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Damn ,,,, well we need some chemical option , I’ve never had root aphids survivors post neem. And I don’t do chemical, someone will have an answer soon here.
Azamax works but I try not to go with that in soil.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/neemazal-and-derivatives-like-azamax-versus-neem-oil.101484/

In this case a drench of azamax should be good. DE is good too, after a drench i would go with DE. Double trouble :)

But have to ask, can we see the pics of the plants?

Also i definitely suggest baking the rest of that mix before using again. Either in an oven or in a trashbag under the sun.

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

That looks like a beneficial insect to me. Stratiolaelaps scimitus also called
(Hypoaspis miles)
preys on fungus gnat larvae. Predatory mites move much faster and have different frontal shapes than plant and root eating mites.

Seraphine

Seraphine

All good advice stated above.

Kind of hard to identify but they were moving really fast and the antenna were huge. Which make me think they were not root aphids. Looked more like a predatory mite. How was the plant stressed? I hate anything in my soil (because I’m indoor) and will kill anything dwelling in it!

If you’re able to positively identify them as root aphids, depending on your budget you can go with Beauveria bassiana (BotaniGard 22wp), this is more expensive at $70ish per bag. It’s a fungus that will infect susceptible insects such a as root aphids and kill them.

Predatory nematodes is another good option.

Diatomaceous earth is also good but you don’t get the nematodes if you plan on using DE. DE will kill the nematodes too.

I would personally use Beauveria bassiana(BotaniGard) first then following up with DE. I like to add a decent amount of DE to the top layer of soil then water to get the DE into the soil. I then mix DE into the top few inches of soil for good measure.

B

Burned Haze

BotaniGard 22 wp , grandevo wdg & pfr 97 mixed alll together

If you can only afford one, I would do the first two listed but if you can all three will most def guarantee a way better win factor cause root aphids suck and if you fuck around with them, it can ruin ( at least a huge decrease %) your crop more than the products I’m saying to use to elimainte them.

Top Bottom