What's It Called Please?

• Thread starter KingOfUranus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

Hey guys, can anyone give me a definitive answer please. What do you get if you pollinate an s2 with female pollen from another s2 (different plant/breeding line), So s2 x s2? I thought this would be an f1 feminised, but when I asked a breeder about this they said it would make another s1, which I didn't understand as, although it would be famale pollen, it wouldn't be selfed as its they're two different strains (??). Can anyone clear this up for me please as I can't find anything online. The reason I'm interested is because I've read that s2's are breeding gold as they carry only (two sets) of the dominant traits from the clone you've selected. So I was guessin breeding two of these would create a femme selection of phenos mixed of only the Dom/desired traits from each elite (??) But would this generation be f1 fems, s1 or what??
cheers people.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
F1 simply means first gen of breed created, to go further you will need to cross it back to original gene.
So (s2+s2=)new f1 genealogy, meaning brand new breed and to stabilize it , breeders go further and cross back to stabilize the trait. Any cross is a hybrid and f1 just means hybrid of 2 diff phoneme.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

If the two plants are highly unrelated it doesn't matter what their individual filial generations are. Two completely unrelated plants crossed to each other is an F1.

To be technical, though, most cannabis plants are related to each other and because of this many people argue that there is no such thing as a true 'F1 hybrid' in cannabis.

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

@Jack og @hyzerflip Thanks guys, thats also how I understood it and thought I was correct with the f1 label. It was only coz I was talking to a breeder about him crossing two of his own new s2's that I started to doubt my own knowledge. I'm not gonna name the breeder or bother to argue the point, I just wanted confirmation for myself.
As for there not being true genetic variation in so called different strains, I think seedjunky stuff is a great example if that. Its all touted with different names as different strains, but in reality they're more like different pheons of the same genetics, coz their just crossed and back crossed into each other. Most of the cali strains ive seen have all traced back the same line of a few parent plants.. Unlike Europe where the genetic variation is much broader (mainly thanks to the Netherlands).
But back to the s2 idea, can any breeders tell me why this isn't done more, for making elite fem seed crosses please? Taking two elite clone only phenos, selfing them to s2 to remove all other traits, and then crossing them using the female s2 pollen?? Surely the beans would only produce topshelf phenos as only the desired fire traits can be passed on from each parent (?)

Last edited:
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
@Jack og @hyzerflip Thanks guys, thats also how I understood it and thought I was correct with the f1 label. It was only coz I was talking to a breeder about him crossing two of his own new s2's that I started to doubt my own knowledge. I'm not gonna name the breeder or bother to argue the point, I just wanted confirmation for myself.
As for there not being true genetic variation in so called different strains, I think seedjunky stuff is a great example if that. Its all touted with different names as different strains, but in reality they're more like different pheons of the same genetics, coz their just crossed and back crossed into each other. Most of the cali strains ive seen have all traced back the same line of a few parent plants.. Unlike Europe where the genetic variation is much broader (mainly thanks to the Netherlands).
But back to the s2 idea, can any breeders tell me why this isn't done more, for making elite fem seed crosses please? Taking two elite clone only phenos, selfing them to s2 to remove all other traits, and then crossing them using the female s2 pollen?? Surely the beans would only produce topshelf phenos as only the desired fire traits can be passed on from each parent (?)
Yea I get ya, I’d love to see single genetic breeds but the science in the states aren’t there yet with the prohibition but with the green wave, hold on brother, cause I see some shit in the turnpike that will rival if not blow the European breeds away.

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

... I see some shit in the turnpike that will rival if not blow the European breeds away.
Yeah I hope so mate. Obviously the Netherlands had a thirty year headstart so that plays a part. I just hope that breeders over in the states really start experimenting with crosses, like they did in europe all those years back. I'd like to see some totally new genetic mixes and some true hybrid vigour coming from accross the pond. Everything is so samey, just phenos being crossed and back crossed. I'd really like to see some totally new lines and breeding projects, not just stuff that can be traced back to the same original few cuts. Id like to see stuff like a banana og x Kali Mist ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom