Whats The Best Way To Get Massive Roots In Rockwool Once Nubs Form

• Thread starter Vonkins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Vonkins

Vonkins

I've taken about 40 clones. Half have nubs poking from the bottom and the others seem to be on there way cause I cant pull the clone from the rockwool. No dome is being used at this point but they r still on a heat mat keeping the root zone at 80. I'm good at getting my clones to root. I just havent perfecting getting the massive root system before transplant. When I have the dome on I keep both vents open from day 1 achieving around 90% humidity at 79 degrees inside and 72 ambient. This last for 4 to 6 days then dome comes off.

J

Joe.Grow

are You flushing them? What size cubes? Nutes ppm?

Some plant them into a 4x4 cube and then into coco. Drip feed 2-400ppm 2-3 times a day with very little runoff. It’s a very interesting way to grow though.

Vonkins

Vonkins

are You flushing them? What size cubes? Nutes ppm?

Some plant them into a 4x4 cube and then into coco. Drip feed 2-400ppm 2-3 times a day with very little runoff. It’s a very interesting way to grow though.
Flushing? Its fresh cuts taken 6 days ago in 1.5 inch cubes, 300 ppm bloom nutes. Jack's classic. Drip feed? I grow in perlite or soil just depends. I transplant straight from my clone tray to perlite. I might put some perlite in the bottom of my cloning tray.

J

Joe.Grow

Some strains are very sensitive to moisture % and need to get really dry between watering. With flushing I mean 20-30% runoff every other watering or every 3rd depending on how mature the plant is. If I water 3 times a day I’ll drip feed it just shy of 100% capacity at lights on and a few hours before lights out. My mid day watering is the 20-30% more for a flush. I only drip on the cube and not any on the medium that it’s in. The only time the medium gets liquid is with the extra from the flush.

Being a younger plant you could water 130% at lights on and check moisture mid light cycle to bring it close to 100% but make sure it drys out enough between watering. Watering the medium less often will promote roots to expand to search for water.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Massive roots in rooter cubes honestly comes from leaving the dome on and/or high humidity BUT there is a big drawback as they can get humd. shocked and die off sometimes when you take the dome off or transplant them. Also just leaving them in the cubes for an extra week will also do this. They will air prune themselves unless there is moisture for them to run to like cubes do on flood tables (massive roots down in the feed channels). But then again you will get to a point where you have to feed the rooters multi times a day and that isn't always feesable. Honestly everything you listed is right on track. I wouldn't change anything unless you are having problems after transplant with runts and them becoming dead dead.

That's pretty much exactly how I clone and I dont usually wait for massive roots systems. I just wait for about 5-8 roots to pop on all of them at least and go. Domes come off when all of them have at least 1 little root poking. Pretty much 100% success with no problems in veg on transplants.

Edit: This is cloning strait into rockwool and not using a cloner before hand.

As you said putting perlite in the bottom of the tray will retain moisture in the bottom and promote outward root growth if that's what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Kpc0721

Kpc0721

Invest in a nice clone tray holder, the part that holds the cubes in place, not the actual tray. Mine was like 13 bucks and it works great for getting stupid roots. Here’s my procedure that pretty much gives me 100% success and super nice white exploding roots.

500 ppm of clonex, I presoak the cubes for 10 min first

Rooting gel on each clone before I plug them

Spray leaves and dome lid only as they dry out, for me that’s about once a day, I try to avoid spraying the cubes as they already have plenty of moisture retained from soaking and you don’t want them to get over soaked or they won’t root, I give mine I tiny squeeze to ge rid of excess water. Once they start rooting you just have to check each one and spray the blocks if they need it. After I get roots going I put water in the tray about a half inch or so below dither blocks so the roots will reach for the water, also at this point I usually stop spraying the blocks. Basically this way you can grow your roots out as long as you like once they hit the water, I’ve had 10” super healthy and white roots that were all tangled together from having to leave them chill in the tray an extra week

Dome on with both vents closed for the first 5-7 days or until roots have started growing out of the bottom. I only open the vents a quarter of the way each day to get them ready for the dome to come off, if I don’t do this and transition them slowly then some will die for sure.

Vonkins

Vonkins

I have this reddish 1.5 inch rockwool cube holder that fits inside my tray

Vonkins

Vonkins

If u had to weigh one of your cubes for moisture content to get the fastest rooting and growth, what would u say it would weigh in grams. I actually weigh every cube individually. 25 grams once clone is installed into cube. Then I let them get down to around 10 grams, then back up to 20. I dont have to moisten for the first time til like day 4 or 5. Which at this point vents are fully opened and dome is propped up a bit to aid in the drying out process. I use 4 ez clone inserts on the corners to prop my dome up. At this point I've got to check them regularly to make sure they dont get too dry. Lately I've had to take them back up to 20 grams every night but that with no dome and led veg light about 3 ft away

Last edited:
Vonkins

Vonkins

If u had to weigh one of your cubes for moisture content to get the fastest rooting and growth, what would u say it would weigh in grams. I actually weigh every cube individually. 25 grams once clone is installed into cube. Then I let them get down to around 10 grams, then back up to 20. I dont have to moisten for the first time tilled like day 4 or 5. Which at this point vents are fully opened and dome is propped up a bit to aid in the drying out process.

Vonkins

Vonkins

As usual I got tons of white nubs coming out out my rockwool cubes. I notice some are getting brown tips. While still in the red rockwool tray inside the propagator tray how do I get those long roots that reach the bottom of my propagator tray. When dome is on and vents open I stay around 78 degrees internal and 70 degrees ambient. It's like they r getting air pruned

Top Bottom