What's Your Veg Set Up Like?

• Thread starter OldSmokie76
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I'm jarring up my second full harvest and staring at the various clones I have in limbo. Some need up potted. Some need more training. Hell, I'm in the beginning window of taking next set of clones. It's seriously a chaotic fuck fest at best. I'm trying to get a routine down and I've decided I need a more organized veg process. I want to build a custom box to house my small t5 and clone tray and also include space for the full veg period. My 2x2 tent has been used for hanging plants in to dry. That tent was overgrown too much anyway when I used it. I'd like a space under a 2'x4' t5 fixture completely enclosed within a plywood cabinet. Complete with all proper ventilation and filter and fans. Temp/humidity controlled. Long term goals include auto drip irrigation too. Some rough dimensions are 54"w x 48"h x 30"d. I'm hoping to get started on this box soon, but I'm also interested in hearing feedback of your set ups. Who's using/built a diy box? Your errors and successes? Let's share info.

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

I posted a thread last night about needing to make my own tent. I used 1 1/4 inch pvc to build the skeletal structure for my actual tarp. In hind sight I would have just wrapped everything in my own like Walmart tarpaulin, then just add the mylar sheets to the inner surfaces with heat glue. I like your cabinet idea, but personally I dont like my structures all THAT permanent because I get stoned and want to move everything around. I also like having room to walk around the plants but most of the time I just take up one corner and bring them to me. This pic is from right after I set up the tent, i have since removed the T5s (soooooo ineffective) they love the HID tho. Honestly those two t5 set ups
Received 10211640074337469

Give way more heat than the HID does, but none of the light can penetrate into the plants really. Since I cut those off and focused just on the HID the temp has evened out. I do however have a 2x4x6 tent I'm using for my clones that uses a 600 watt King LED, that has 1 uv, 1 deep red, 8 orange, 11 white and the rest are blue I think theres like 16 or so. But they're loving that compared to the 235 watt apollo TVs or the 4 foot 50 watt bulbs, just stay away from both of them if you can avoid it and just get LED, especially for a closet set up like that. Most LEDs flatten out at 3x3 flower for the 1k watt and 2x2 for 600, that's why I only use it for my veg

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I'm jarring up my second full harvest and staring at the various clones I have in limbo. Some need up potted. Some need more training. Hell, I'm in the beginning window of taking next set of clones. It's seriously a chaotic fuck fest at best. I'm trying to get a routine down and I've decided I need a more organized veg process. I want to build a custom box to house my small t5 and clone tray and also include space for the full veg period. My 2x2 tent has been used for hanging plants in to dry. That tent was overgrown too much anyway when I used it. I'd like a space under a 2'x4' t5 fixture completely enclosed within a plywood cabinet. Complete with all proper ventilation and filter and fans. Temp/humidity controlled. Long term goals include auto drip irrigation too. Some rough dimensions are 54"w x 48"h x 30"d. I'm hoping to get started on this box soon, but I'm also interested in hearing feedback of your set ups. Who's using/built a diy box? Your errors and successes? Let's share info.
I was gonna build one, but I found a 10x2 ft unused closet in the house..Built up a few QB132's in 3500k and a couple of Fantom Sunboards and voila..decent and instant veg closet..I water with a 2 gallon garden sprayer and all is well..Pot sizes range from solos to 1 gallon nursery pots to 5 gallon fabric pots..sliding doors make it simple to do stuff too..
This is a prototype of a fixture I built to hang over one side (Greenman Gnome pipe not included..LMAO)
Fixture 2

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I was gonna build one, but I found a 10x2 ft unused closet in the house..Built up a few QB132's in 3500k and a couple of Fantom Sunboards and voila..decent and instant veg closet..I water with a 2 gallon garden sprayer and all is well..Pot sizes range from solos to 1 gallon nursery pots to 5 gallon fabric pots..sliding doors make it simple to do stuff too..
This is a prototype of a fixture I built to hang over one side (Greenman Gnome pipe not included..LMAO)
View attachment 789474
You "found" an unused closet. Did you lose it at some point. That's a big closet to forget about. LMAO.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

View attachment 789474
I'm also considerably new to the diy light builds. COB's and all. Very interested. I'm definitely moving forward with this cabinet and my future lighting may be something I build. Until then, it will accommodate the led's I currently have, and be large enough for 2'x4' t5 fixtures. Ultimately, building a custom fixture. Any good research you may wish to share? Where do I begin? Lol. I'm gonna scroll thru some archives on here for good build threads.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Anybody have a cabinet build you want to share? Free standing cabinets. I'm interested in everybody's approach. I'm currently designing one. Need some experienced builders advice. Let's see your fuck ups. The unique solutions to typical issues dealing with a contained jungle. High-tech. Low-tech. Anything veg cabinet. Flowering a whole other beast. Let's focus on the accommodations to build plant structure and shape.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I posted a thread last night about needing to make my own tent. I used 1 1/4 inch pvc to build the skeletal structure for my actual tarp. In hind sight I would have just wrapped everything in my own like Walmart tarpaulin, then just add the mylar sheets to the inner surfaces with heat glue. I like your cabinet idea, but personally I dont like my structures all THAT permanent because I get stoned and want to move everything around. I also like having room to walk around the plants but most of the time I just take up one corner and bring them to me. This pic is from right after I set up the tent, i have since removed the T5s (soooooo ineffective) they love the HID tho. Honestly those two t5 set ups View attachment 789473

Give way more heat than the HID does, but none of the light can penetrate into the plants really. Since I cut those off and focused just on the HID the temp has evened out. I do however have a 2x4x6 tent I'm using for my clones that uses a 600 watt King LED, that has 1 uv, 1 deep red, 8 orange, 11 white and the rest are blue I think theres like 16 or so. But they're loving that compared to the 235 watt apollo TVs or the 4 foot 50 watt bulbs, just stay away from both of them if you can avoid it and just get LED, especially for a closet set up like that. Most LEDs flatten out at 3x3 flower for the 1k watt and 2x2 for 600, that's why I only use it for my veg
I plan to stick with LEDs in the cabinet to begin with. I already have a couple. T5 is an option because of the size of the cabinet. It will be fairly short so the plant will get decent light from the t5's if i use them. I'm itching to build a custom fixture soon and currently researching. All new to me. Your tent skills are great.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I'm also considerably new to the diy light builds. COB's and all. Very interested. I'm definitely moving forward with this cabinet and my future lighting may be something I build. Until then, it will accommodate the led's I currently have, and be large enough for 2'x4' t5 fixtures. Ultimately, building a custom fixture. Any good research you may wish to share? Where do I begin? Lol. I'm gonna scroll thru some archives on here for good build threads.
I learned from a Chap named Tboneshuffle on another forum..Google Quantum Boards(QB120) in stock for $20 or something of the like.

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

I plan to stick with LEDs in the cabinet to begin with. I already have a couple. T5 is an option because of the size of the cabinet. It will be fairly short so the plant will get decent light from the t5's if i use them. I'm itching to build a custom fixture soon and currently researching. All new to me. Your tent skills are great.

Thanks man, my buddy helped me a lot with it. He built it pretty much I just had the idea to use pvc to run wiring so the tent is grounded lol. I'm really digging my 600 watt Kingplus double LED, (which apparently uses double the size LED chips [10watt vs. 3-5watt]) for my veg tent. Almost no heat off of the unit and it's on 18/6, so I would imagine you would only need a little 4 inch intake to clear out smell of you put it into a cabinet. What are you gonna do about water drip trays, or are you just gonna plug a reservoir into the back or something and use a drip tube

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Thanks man, my buddy helped me a lot with it. He built it pretty much I just had the idea to use pvc to run wiring so the tent is grounded lol. I'm really digging my 600 watt Kingplus double LED, (which apparently uses double the size LED chips [10watt vs. 3-5watt]) for my veg tent. Almost no heat off of the unit and it's on 18/6, so I would imagine you would only need a little 4 inch intake to clear out smell of you put it into a cabinet. What are you gonna do about water drip trays, or are you just gonna plug a reservoir into the back or something and use a drip tube
Still in the preliminary design stages. Currently hand water soil grow. Just using trays under each container and a couple 1020 trays. Not concerned with drainage until I go to the drip irrigation. At that point, I have already found an industrial spill tray with a 23 gallon capacity that will fit nicely in the footprint of the cabinet. Merely set any container on top of the grid of the tray and water away. The tray has a discharge that I can plumb a hose to for drainage. That's long-term goal with auto water.

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

I'm doing soil for this grow, honestly I have mixed feelings. I love the buffer it gives from over feeding or over watering. But I've had this damn gnat problem since the beginning when I was way overwatering. I've tried neem oil and squish, other sprays, airing out the tent, finally the whitefly traps have finally caught like 99% of them so that's cool.

Still in the preliminary design stages. Currently hand water soil grow. Just using trays under each container and a couple 1020 trays. Not concerned with drainage until I go to the drip irrigation. At that point, I have already found an industrial spill tray with a 23 gallon capacity that will fit nicely in the footprint of the cabinet. Merely set any container on top of the grid of the tray and water away. The tray has a discharge that I can plumb a hose to for drainage. That's long-term goal with auto water.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

And yes I have 4" fan in mind. Less than 50cf in cabinet. I have a 4" booster fan for ducting and a carbon filter rated for 150cfm. Should do the trick. I'm hoping to be able to just vent this cabinet directly back into my room without any odor.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I'm doing soil for this grow, honestly I have mixed feelings. I love the buffer it gives from over feeding or over watering. But I've had this damn gnat problem since the beginning when I was way overwatering. I've tried neem oil and squish, other sprays, airing out the tent, finally the whitefly traps have finally caught like 99% of them so that's cool.
The yellow sticky traps work great. Ever since I added the mushroom compost I've had a few dozen buzzing around. Keep the fans circulating the air and let the top soil dry a bit between waterings. You'll be good. There's some growers that layer the top of their containers with 2" of clay pellets to thwart off the infestation. But definitely place the little sticky traps up. Doesn't hurt.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

The yellow sticky traps work great. Ever since I added the mushroom compost I've had a few dozen buzzing around. Keep the fans circulating the air and let the top soil dry a bit between waterings. You'll be good. There's some growers that layer the top of their containers with 2" of clay pellets to thwart off the infestation. But definitely place the little sticky traps up. Doesn't hurt.
If all else fails..Gnatrol to the rescue:)
About this time of year, I spread a layer of Perlite over the soil to keep the buggers at bay .

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

Damn the pellet thing is a great idea, I have a 5 gallon bucket and then some of those and was wondering what I was going to do with them.

There's some growers that layer the top of their containers with 2" of clay pellets to thwart off the infestation. But definitely place the little sticky traps up. Doesn't hurt.

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

I've heard the perlite, I was going to grab some to counteract some trenching I started to get but I think the clay would work for that and the gnats. I didn't want to spray anything on them if I didn't have to but I'm gonna use those pellets tonight

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

I put in the pellets when I watered today, saw an immediate difference for the trenching, mm hoping it kills the gnats finally. Thanks for the suggestion!
20180404 172345

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

That's a great idea, I wonder how long you could get away with having an automated feeding/watering system without needing to add more water into the mix. I love the idea of the tray with a runoff valve. Now I need to build a platform to fit that tray an have room for the hose, lol.

The tray has a discharge that I can plumb a hose to for drainage. That's long-term goal with auto water.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I put in the pellets when I watered today, saw an immediate difference for the trenching, mm hoping it kills the gnats finally. Thanks for the suggestion! View attachment 790104
The stones alone will only deter the gnats. The stones won't retain the moisture that those little buggers enjoy. You might want to get some sticky sheets. They work great. You'll have to be a little more diligent on recognizing when to water too. You won't be able to judge the surface of the soil now.

Top Bottom