What's Your Veg Set Up Like?

• Thread starter OldSmokie76
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Scratch the tray idea. What I saw is way more expensive than anticipated. A lot of grow supply companies make flood trays that could serve the purpose. Only have to modify it with a drain. I was just interested in something to catch the run off. Not recirculate the water. Drain just for easy removal of excess water.

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

Oh yes, I have the sticky sheets already. That is what got 90% of them. I wanted to stamp out that last little bit. I usually judge when to water based on the leaves anyway. I use cloth pots so the surface and sides are usually pretty dry as is

The stones alone will only deter the gnats. The stones won't retain the moisture that those little buggers enjoy. You might want to get some sticky sheets. They work great. You'll have to be a little more diligent on recognizing when to water too. You won't be able to judge the surface of the soil now.

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

Yea I was just asking hypothetically, how long you could get away with it. I think you've got a good idea there tho, with it being off the ground that's easy to manage installing a run off valve. That's going to come in handy when you clean between grows as well actually. You can just hit everything with a bucket of soap and rinse it all down the run off valve.

K

kansabis

My .02,use quantum boards in your cabinet with drivers mounted outside cabinet and you could have 2-3 levels depending on your desired height. Maybe a veg level and a clone level,they literally almost so away with headroom restriction and put off almost zero heat,you would need around 2 inches above the board and the boards themselves are less than an inch thick as well as you can get them as close to plants as you want only factor is light spread the closer you put em,just like any other light.

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

You can just use the light runoff from the veg for the clones if you layered them and put mesh between the layers. Clones only need space for the dome and can sit a 18/6 for roots. Then when they're rooted, snip clones from the veg, move those into flower, harvest the flower chamber and restart your clones. If you have 50cf of "flowering space" you can get a nice harvest every 2 months. Hell you can even keep the total light cycle on 12/12 and not even worry about vegging and you can get a harvest every 30 days. If you're taking clones then you can beg for a week or 2 still, but I think a month of veg would be too much plant at the end of flower

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Long term, yes I'm interested in building a light. This veg box will be for clones and my normal veg period. I have a 5x5 tent w 1000hps for flower. I'm hoping to achieve a monthly harvest by placing new plants into the flower tent every four weeks or so. My last grow went about 90 days from cut before flower. That was a bit long for a solid perpetual grow, too much of a gap. Plants were roughly 24" tall when flipped. I pulled 2.5-3oz off each plant so far. I'm finishing up manicure now. If I can veg for a solid month, place three in flower, then another three plants four weeks later, I should be able to harvest three each month. That's if I can keep clones and veg running like a machine.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

@kansabis I'm gonna have that yield weight of the 10 wk tomorrow. Damn good smoke.

K

kansabis

Wish I could get my maters planted,started em inside way too early thinking we would have better weather by now but looks like another week or 2 of winter type crap. And the worst part is my veggies are taking up all the space in my veg tent,the better part is I have 8 in the flower tent with around half of em just 2-3wks from chop time.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Started veggie seeds in hoophouse. Last couple nights a little cool but HH is staying about 38 all night. Seeds haven't popped yet and I have another couple dozen seed packs of assorted organic heirloom variety vegetables. Hopefully have a good assortment of veggie starters for neighborhood gardeners. Kind of my plans for retirement in another ten years. "Organic Heirloom Veggie Farmer". Somewhere in Cali or Colorado. Farmin Veggies. Lol.

Last edited:
D

DrDankPHD

I'm jarring up my second full harvest and staring at the various clones I have in limbo. Some need up potted. Some need more training. Hell, I'm in the beginning window of taking next set of clones. It's seriously a chaotic fuck fest at best. I'm trying to get a routine down and I've decided I need a more organized veg process. I want to build a custom box to house my small t5 and clone tray and also include space for the full veg period. My 2x2 tent has been used for hanging plants in to dry. That tent was overgrown too much anyway when I used it. I'd like a space under a 2'x4' t5 fixture completely enclosed within a plywood cabinet. Complete with all proper ventilation and filter and fans. Temp/humidity controlled. Long term goals include auto drip irrigation too. Some rough dimensions are 54"w x 48"h x 30"d. I'm hoping to get started on this box soon, but I'm also interested in hearing feedback of your set ups. Who's using/built a diy box? Your errors and successes? Let's share info.

4 ft height for veg?

I guess depends on how many plants u want to veg.

Cloner you domes u can get one with a dome with spot for 24 inch t5.

I would stick the cloner In Closet and just carbon filter and fan.

Personally I like bigger tents for veg.
Easier heat control and odor control.
Now ur limited to your filter size and duct fan size etc. which increase noise.

I keep my duct fans out of tent. Just cleaner more room to work.

I guess depends how big you veg your plants

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

Right on, your set up is similar to mine then. I'm working out a monthly rotation between 2 tents, but I'm probably going to end up turning the one big tent into 2 slightly smaller ones with mylar as a median and put the HID on a light rail. That way 1 tent can really act like two

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

4 ft height for veg?

I guess depends on how many plants u want to veg.

Cloner you domes u can get one with a dome with spot for 24 inch t5.

I would stick the cloner In Closet and just carbon filter and fan.

Personally I like bigger tents for veg.
Easier heat control and odor control.
Now ur limited to your filter size and duct fan size etc. which increase noise.

I keep my duct fans out of tent. Just cleaner more room to work.

I guess depends how big you veg your plants
Each situation calls for personal preference and ability. I already have all components to make box. It will be free standing, somewhat disquised and stealth. When I'm done you'll get the idea. All components will be internal, hence the general size. I have clone tray w dome and t5, it works great. It'll go right inside cabinet. Hoping to have four plants veg for about a month after clone. Every month rotating four plants into and out of flower. Monthly harvest is ultimate goal.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Right on, your set up is similar to mine then. I'm working out a monthly rotation between 2 tents, but I'm probably going to end up turning the one big tent into 2 slightly smaller ones with mylar as a median and put the HID on a light rail. That way 1 tent can really act like two
Get two lights and a switch for your ballast. It can run two lights alternating light cycles. No moving parts or rail set up. Rails are interesting but seem over complicated in a sense.

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

I'm trying to set a limit on myself if not running more than 3k dedicated watts to my grow room. I'm already running one 600 hps (flower) and a 600 led (veg) but my flower space is 4 ft x 9 ft x 7 ft so if I can get a light rail for my 600 GPS I can fill the space and give everyone ample light, no hot spots, and still only run 600 watts. As far as the plants are concerned they're getting the full wattage

Get two lights and a switch for your ballast. It can run two lights alternating light cycles. No moving parts or rail set up. Rails are interesting but seem over complicated in a sense.

Flox0chknz

Flox0chknz

Also part of that dedicated wattage is the window ac (1200) the 4 inch fan (100ish) and the hydrocloner and t5 for it are another maybe 20? So I'm close to my cap. Oh yes the HID ballast, so that's pretty close to my cap

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Also part of that dedicated wattage is the window ac (1200) the 4 inch fan (100ish) and the hydrocloner and t5 for it are another maybe 20? So I'm close to my cap. Oh yes the HID ballast, so that's pretty close to my cap
Didn't think about all the usage. I don't run a/c. Basement stays cool all year.

Top Bottom