When Is "day One" Of Bloom To Start The 'clock' 8,9,10 Weeks Outside.

• Thread starter DIYmeGROW
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DIYmeGROW

Hello friends! This is my first post, be gentle with me :)

I have been growing since 2011, indoors until my last three grows. I am Learning that outdoors is WAY different.

So, the question is when is 'day one' of bloom? When I was indoors Day One was the day we flipped from 18/6 to 12/12 timer, changed the lights from blue to red changed the nutrients from veg to bloom and pumped up crazy PK for a few days. This always started buds to form right away. From that day I could predict we would start flushing on day 48-50 and would be harvesting 7-10 days later. And it was good!

It does not work that way for me outdoors.

I am in southern CA (San Diego area). I veg indoors the same way I have. If I put them outdoors in Feb/March they will only have 10-11 hours of sun and I understand the color of the sun of more red than blue, I give them Bloom nutes and the PK boost. It seems to take 10-15 days before I see 1/4inch 'true' buds form. I swear this happened in 3-5 days indoors. I have now seen this twice outdoors in winter.

When I put them out last July they had 14 hours of sun. I was unsure of when to change their nutes and hit the PK? I'll have to dig out my notes but I remember these going 10 weeks after flipping the nutes and could never decide when 'Day One' happened.

I like having 2-3 reference facts to make a decision on, and not just one fact.

Day One was an important fact. Last year I had to judge when to flush and harvest only by observing the trichrome ripening. I waited until the heads deflate a little and 90% are cloudy and a few are turning amber by the time they were cut.

Is there a way to draw the line and call it 'day one' outdoors?
Can we get out the calipers and measure 1/4 inch bud and count backward to determine day one?

I do enjoy learning and bless failures as learning experiences, but my meds are not as tasty outdoors and I feel I have lost a measuring stick without knowing when day one is.

Maybe the timing was ok and I was failing somewhere else. I worry they may have been overwatered as it seems they do not drink as much when it is cold outside. Due to sunrise sunset, the movement of shade and the weather maybe they actually get more light energy indoors? Does less light or the cold temps mean they will take weeks longer?

I have more to learn, but I'm all hung up on when is day one if outdoors in winter? and when do I "flip" in the fall? Sept 27th will be the fall equinox(12/12) in my neighborhood. IS that the target flip day? As I veg 18/6 indoors putting them outdoors in June is still a 4 hours difference, Which is all we get between 14 and 10 hour days in San Diego.

It is reasonable to believe they could flip at 14 hours in June? Or will the sun's more blue spectrum and veg nutes keep them from flipping too soon?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice that you can provide!

Cheers!

Dan789

Dan789

Welcome @DIYmeGROW, such problems, lol, not an outdoor grower, too hot outside Sacramento, so no help. Good luck

D

DIYmeGROW

Welcome @DIYmeGROW, such problems, lol, not an outdoor grower, too hot outside Sacramento, so no help. Good luck

Thanks! I started to check out your photos, I'll have to spend more time looking at, I am unfamiliar with the lighting fixtures you are using what are they?

D

DIYmeGROW

The latest is a Rapid 12 cob Vero 29 kit, 3000K. Working very nicely.
Nice, I spent a couple minutes looking these up. Thanks! I like learning about new tech, my LEDs are just getting older but still working. I'll seriously consider these when deciding to replace what I have.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

only way i can answer is ,your over thinking this stuff,,first off,when you see head lights that is flowers,day 1 if you look at it that way,second throw all that time stuff out the window,you cant control mother nature,the sun rotation has the light spectrums that cant be mimic,so red and blues come natural,as far as your time line,start a veg inside and transplant out side,simple,if not a option put in some cheap ass cfls lights over them to get your 14 or 16 hrs of light,be warned a dead give away what your doing and does bring attention,another reason to just veg indoor and then harden off to the sun,when you get past 12 hours of sun,flushing wont ever happen in soil,soil life is your nutrients,feed the soil not the plant,as far as taste ,you must be rushing your cure cause aint a better smoking weed than outdoors imo

D

DIYmeGROW

only way i can answer is ,your over thinking this stuff,,first off,when you see head lights that is flowers,day 1 if you look at it that way,second throw all that time stuff out the window,you cant control mother nature,the sun rotation has the light spectrums that cant be mimic,so red and blues come natural,as far as your time line,start a veg inside and transplant out side,simple,if not a option put in some cheap ass cfls lights over them to get your 14 or 16 hrs of light,be warned a dead give away what your doing and does bring attention,another reason to just veg indoor and then harden off to the sun,when you get past 12 hours of sun,flushing wont ever happen in soil,soil life is your nutrients,feed the soil not the plant,as far as taste ,you must be rushing your cure cause aint a better smoking weed than outdoors imo

D

DIYmeGROW

Thanks oldskol4evr,
I am an overthinker in my day job;) it's hard for me not to apply that. This is one of many reasons gardening helps! I gotta give up control and partner with nature. You can't rush a grow, and it is true you CAN rush a cure and screw it up. It is hard to let go of a cornerstone, for me indoors that was my calendar. See, still stuck inside my calendar are many landmarks, some nutrient additives are given on week 4 or 5, some pesticides lasts 6 weeks. Without knowing 'day one' how can I tell week 3 from week 5? Outdoors I must learn different cornerstones. I appreciate yours and others experience and opinions to help me make these calls. Thanks!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thanks oldskol4evr,
I am an overthinker in my day job;) it's hard for me not to apply that. This is one of many reasons gardening helps! I gotta give up control and partner with nature. You can't rush a grow, and it is true you CAN rush a cure and screw it up. It is hard to let go of a cornerstone, for me indoors that was my calendar. See, still stuck inside my calendar are many landmarks, some nutrient additives are given on week 4 or 5, some pesticides lasts 6 weeks. Without knowing 'day one' how can I tell week 3 from week 5? Outdoors I must learn different cornerstones. I appreciate yours and others experience and opinions to help me make these calls. Thanks!
outdoor is the real critter,yes sir,cant judge your time cause of moon and sun movements,if you have 14 hrs daylight your still vegging,unless plant says difrent and start popping flowers out,it just like inside growing except you have no control if you dig,got a homie in new mexico,that puts his outdoor in the end of april,and hangs cfl bulbs,just to keep a little light on them were they will think they still vegging,and by the time drift down to 12 hrs day,damn trees bro 10 ft tall no shit,check out growing green on you tube,the brother can get some yield,and only pesticides i use is neem,and a magic mystery spray from pepers and garlic all kind stinky stuff,at the very last option captain jacks

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thanks oldskol4evr,
and beside all that i just wrote,dont get in a hurry,nothing more beautiful than a 9 finger tree standing there to gaze upon in the morning,hahah when they get buds they ugly hahah

D

DIYmeGROW

and beside all that i just wrote,dont get in a hurry,nothing more beautiful than a 9 finger tree standing there to gaze upon in the morning,hahah when they get buds they ugly hahah

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... or the one holding ;)
so, I'll start thinking as soon as I see actual bud (not just girly hairs) then I'm in week 1. I'll have two weeks if I want harsh pesticides then stop. I'll have 4-5 weeks to plump up the buds, then taper off the nutes. If they go 10, 11, 12 weeks I'll just wait for the trics to ripen and not panic.
Thanks oldskol4evr!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... or the one holding ;)
so, I'll start thinking as soon as I see actual bud (not just girly hairs) then I'm in week 1. I'll have two weeks if I want harsh pesticides then stop. I'll have 4-5 weeks to plump up the buds, then taper off the nutes. If they go 10, 11, 12 weeks I'll just wait for the trics to ripen and not panic.
Thanks oldskol4evr!
you forgot ,hope you dont have a thai dominant strain,lmao ive had them go 16 weeks outdoors,well worth the wait too

Latest posts

Top Bottom