When Mentors Fall

• Thread starter UgrewWHAT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UgrewWHAT

UgrewWHAT

It's kind of funny to me right now that despite our newly-elected California Legalization I still find myself in apprehension of revealing too much in any public forum.

Sometimes there are things that simply need be written because they have their place. I've seen and read a handful of instances of the aftermath of losing a beloved farmer. And folks, that's really what we are here. We're farmers with the added edge of having an unparalleled intelligence.
*With this particular Genus of plant life we are here in unison with the sole intent of continuing a culture that constantly reinvents itself.

That said... I am at this moment I am faced with the crushing reality that my Best Friend and Mentor; a fellow Mountain biker; Bird Photographer; Carpenter; Writer; Life Coach... had a stroke three days ago.

When he called me I was on the clock and delivering pies as some of you may know that I do. I almost thought it was a joke. Because, he sounded like Larry Flint. The screen on my phone read "S.C." but the voice wasn't one I'd head before. But a voice started talking and as this voice was describing his whereabouts(same Hospital I was in following my Aneurysm), I realized who I was talking with.

He said, "****(my name), I can't ride anymore. I've had a stroke and I've lost everything from my right hip up to my jaw. I don't know how I'm going to make it from here now. But, I love you, kid." And that's all he said.

Well, since then I have had no return contact. I already know that he's got nobody to help him. He's an only child just like me.

For what it's worth... There are people who make themselves known within our lives that, if we listen, we have everything to learn and gain. They are after all handing us the baton if we're lucky enough to meet our heroes in the 1st Place.

Well in the least I've come away from this with an education; a lot of laughter; a lot of pain; some triumphs; some defeats... and any number of fights; harsh words; and a Full-return to friendship' when it meant everything.

If you, like me have been blessed with an unsuspected friend and internship... Be Grateful.

I am today.

In the words of the late, Leonard Cohen... Hallelujah

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
It's kind of funny to me right now that despite our newly-elected California Legalization I still find myself in apprehension of revealing too much in any public forum.

Sometimes there are things that simply need be written because they have their place. I've seen and read a handful of instances of the aftermath of losing a beloved farmer. And folks, that's really what we are here. We're farmers with the added edge of having an unparalleled intelligence.
*With this particular Genus of plant life we are here in unison with the sole intent of continuing a culture that constantly reinvents itself.

That said... I am at this moment I am faced with the crushing reality that my Best Friend and Mentor; a fellow Mountain biker; Bird Photographer; Carpenter; Writer; Life Coach... had a stroke three days ago.

When he called me I was on the clock and delivering pies as some of you may know that I do. I almost thought it was a joke. Because, he sounded like Larry Flint. The screen on my phone read "S.C." but the voice wasn't one I'd head before. But a voice started talking and as this voice was describing his whereabouts(same Hospital I was in following my Aneurysm), I realized who I was talking with.

He said, "****(my name), I can't ride anymore. I've had a stroke and I've lost everything from my right hip up to my jaw. I don't know how I'm going to make it from here now. But, I love you, kid." And that's all he said.

Well, since then I have had no return contact. I already know that he's got nobody to help him. He's an only child just like me.

For what it's worth... There are people who make themselves known within our lives that, if we listen, we have everything to learn and gain. They are after all handing us the baton if we're lucky enough to meet our heroes in the 1st Place.

Well in the least I've come away from this with an education; a lot of laughter; a lot of pain; some triumphs; some defeats... and any number of fights; harsh words; and a Full-return to friendship' when it meant everything.

If you, like me have been blessed with an unsuspected friend and internship... Be Grateful.

I am today.

In the words of the late, Leonard Cohen... Hallelujah

I wish him the best!!! Being a first generation painter/grower/math and ELA teacher i have to say i have never really had anyone to look up to(100% struggle). I do know it is a very hard battle getting away from my family of clock punching cops and simply impossible to change their minds about medicine(they make a living locking people like me up hahaha)... i will say im learning to let those people go and to start focusing on a promising future... people that make these sites great are the future. Even if i have another shit day after day i can still feel good about coming to places like this to see a promising future and maybe help when i can. May things go his way, people like him make the world a better place!!!

UgrewWHAT

UgrewWHAT

Piss and vinegar don't croak easily. Proven fact.
Veterans with an inherent stubborn meanness just don't lay down easily and we don't want em' to either. But it's those same fuckerz that we know and call the Salt of The Earth and they're incredibly skilled in knowing just about how everything works in any given growing region. And, it is for this that we 'tolerate that old bastard know-it-all in the garden. Be them a neighbor, that jack-ass up the street or that moron that spanks everybody in the peloton en route to the summit on a 98 degree day. We all have one. ;)

I haven't anything more to work with and this cat lives four hours south of me. I'll post as I learn more.

Last edited:
UgrewWHAT

UgrewWHAT

R.I.P. Steve...
So I got a call from a San Luis Obispo County Sheriff asking me if I know a S.E.C.... Yes, I know him. He's my Best Friend.
Does he have any family? No. He was an only child; both parents are deceased.
Do you know of any other distant relatives? No. Why are you asking me this?
I have a suicide here and am trying to locate his family. Well I'm the only family Steve's got. Thanks for the call.

When I was last down visiting in January he showed me something amazing... a 1930's law enforcement issue .38 Special, nickel plated with blue-green abalone handles.

I'm always the last to know.

I know that the stroke took everything he had. As an avid mountain biker, cycling was his life. He loved it. Me too. I mean, if something happened that took away my ability to play guitar it would be devastating. So I understand hook, line and sinker that he didn't want to do it anymore.

This one... just isn't going to go away overnight. No way.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
R.I.P. Steve...
So I got a call from a San Luis Obispo County Sheriff asking me if I know a S.E.C.... Yes, I know him. He's my Best Friend.
I have a suicide here and am trying to locate his family. Well I'm the only family Steve's got. Thanks for the call.

When I was last down visiting in January he showed me something amazing... a 1930's law enforcement issue .38 Special, nickel plated with blue-green abalone handles.

I know that the stroke took everything he had. As an avid mountain biker, cycling was his life. He loved it. Me too. I mean, if something happened that took away my ability to play guitar it would be devastating. So I understand hook, line and sinker that he didn't want to do it anymore.

I'm so sorry to read this and I feel for you. The only true friends that I have ever had have been blood family and I can't imagine how hard it must be to have no one to call brother, sister, mother, father or grandparent.
I am so blessed to have a family and people that care about me and I feel like I take it for grantid every day.
I'm sorry for your loss, I believe that everything happens for a reason be it good or bad and you can turn any situation into a positive outcome, even the bad things...
Turn your loss into a positive outcome, don't give up, don't give in, keep trying and show people that giving up is not as good as pushing on.
Please pm if needed
R.I.P. Steve

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

R.I.P. Steve...

Brother that was hard to read. So I'm sure it was hard to experience. .. best wishes brother...

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
R.I.P. Steve...

Rip to a great person!! Honor him now

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I figured if a few knew him then I would want them to comment then leave the thread alone for history to record. ....

UgrewWHAT

UgrewWHAT

He wasn't on this or any forums. He was just a friend of mine and a couch to crash on anytime I come through Pismo.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

I know this feel ... sorry my friend. I can only say that as long as your name is spoken, you will live. It is up to those remaining to say your name - I have list I say out loud to recall my lost friends. I take them with me, always. The bond goes forward and backward through our lives. We are connected, and separate. I hope your sorrow can find a resolution that helps you grow.

Top Bottom