When Should I Top This Plant? Help

• Thread starter KozyGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KozyGrow

KozyGrow

So my sour grape seedling is now i think 3 weeks in veg looks pretty healthy and im thinking about when i should top it. Any suggestions? First time grower

When should i top this plant help
When should i top this plant help 2
Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Top her to how much tops you want. Each node usually is 2tops sometimes 3 or 4. At the 5th node normally you get 10 tops.

KozyGrow

KozyGrow

Thanks guys ill keep this updated cause i feel imma need some help later lol. But thanks for the info guys!

KozyGrow

KozyGrow

So i think my plant might be showing signs of sex but idk? Can any of you tell me if this plant is going to be a male or is it to early to tell?

IMG 22081
IMG 22101
IMG 22071
IMG 22091
IMG 22101
Quagmire

Quagmire

Have you flipped your lights to 12/12 to force flowering yet? Most strains, will keep on vegging for quite a while until you change your light schedule.. and remember, when you do this they double or triple in height.. topping the plant will take a few weeks for the new shoots to start taking off and this is why I F.I.M. cut mine versus topping them.. makes the bottom branches take off like crazy.. good luck man

KozyGrow

KozyGrow

I have not yet put them into 12/12, this plant here is only 3 weeks in and ill probably keep it like that for a little while longer. But thanks for info and ill be sure to try the cutting method on one of them.

KozyGrow

KozyGrow

Update i topped about a week ago and shes around 5 weeks and 5 days i cut the whole top off the node and it is not showin any type of regrowth except for on the sides where my new tops are which i think are coming in pretty nicely. My other girls are around 2 weeks younger and had some early development issues but are catching up nicely. Will the stem where i topped my plant regrow its top? and i think i cut it to far down when i topped it.IMG 22261 IMG 22141 IMG 22221 IMG 22251 IMG 22271

IMG 22281
kds710

kds710

Update i topped about a week ago and shes around 5 weeks and 5 days i cut the whole top off the node and it is not showin any type of regrowth except for on the sides where my new tops are which i think are coming in pretty nicely. My other girls are around 2 weeks younger and had some early development issues but are catching up nicely. Will the stem where i topped my plant regrow its top? and i think i cut it to far down when i topped it.View attachment 517786 View attachment 517783 View attachment 517788 View attachment 517784 View attachment 517785
No, instead of that wound healing up and growing back into a top (if I read your question correctly), what you'll see is those 2 offshoots develop into 2 tops. My opinion/experience is the more you top yes you get a more bushier plant with more tops but I like to have like two or 3 more dominant larger colas and I find topping just once twice at most achieves that whereas multiple topping gets you multiple smaller colas. But we all know strains differ, so yeah there's that too......

Also, it may have been a cut a little short but your plant will be just fine. At earlier times I found that leaving a bit more stem helped prevent the weight of the colas from causing the plant to split at that V site once the plants in flower full throttle

Last edited:
KozyGrow

KozyGrow

Hey guys i know i haven't kept this grow updated but i think i ran into a little problem. My buds have been flowering for 44 days now and i think my buds are to small!!? i don't know this is my first grow and some other grows at this stage have monster colas. The recommended days in flowering is 55-60 days so should i expect a little bit more increase in bud size by then? Thanks in advance

kds710

kds710

Many strains will really kick into gear in the last 10-14 day window in my experience. Whats your nute reg look like? Top Shooter from House & Garden or Shooting Powder both work so well i only use one of the two when absolutely necessary.

str8smokn

str8smokn

What strain is this,it looks a little GSC ish. Just keep her going she looks good and sticky.
And kds710 hit hard with your topping. The two side shots will become your main colas now. Looking good keep on keepin on..
STR8

KozyGrow

KozyGrow

The strain is actually sour grapes from BOG seeds:) And for the nutes i was using ph coco part A&B. But thanks for the input guys hopefully they finish up soon.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

You should flush with sledgehammer or unsulfured molasses half way through flowering when using coco to prevent nute lock. Sledgehammer supposedly will wash off the built up salts on the coco fibers and allow the plant to continue to absorb nutrients through the roots. I also flush with twice as much water , watering twice as often the last two weeks to get that smooth flavor.

KozyGrow

KozyGrow

Cool thanks man, ill try to water a little bit more to try to get the salts out,But I'm using a 600 watt at 75%. I"m also only finishing in 2 gallon pots so that might be part of the reason im having little issues. But you live and you learn.. Next time ill finish in bigger pots lol.

Mr.X

Mr.X

Overall they look healthy bro. Good 2c U haven't comitted a common beginerz mistake, like overwatering or fertilizing till U burn the shit out of M. Are you sure you have your timetables correct though ? Weeks N what not, cuz they look a bit underdeveloped 4 the chronological time you say they have. Also how many watts you have M ladies under? I saw the HPS glre in 1 pic so your doin that correctly. She looks really good in the thrichome department 4 sure. The pot shes in seemed like a 1gl aurora. They're great, Xcept 1gl is a bit small ( in my humble opinion ) I've grown plants 2 full maturity N 1gl fabric pots N theyve been OK. Not AWESOME, just ok. The saying : THE LARGER THE ROOT, THE LARGER THE FRUIT ! really is true when it comes to our particular subject. Cut the A part of your nute program to cut out the N, definitely add molasses 2 the equation and i believe that canna has a finisher called PK something, or go heavier with phosphorus and potassium. I think that may help add some meat 2 yer girls. Or put your lights closer. You ndver did mention what lights yer runnin, distance, wattage, nutrient additives. ANYWAYZZZZ. ... they look healthy and you've now got a grow under yer belt my boy. You fid good, a lot better than most. Your willingness 2 ask others and being humble will ultimately be the keys 2 your success. Keep on keepin on N feel free 2 hmu anytime. You've come to the right place, with the right attitude. Welcome to the comunity, farmer. PEACE !!!

KozyGrow

KozyGrow

Thank you brother its very comforting to hear that i can always get help from you and the community here and ill try not to ask to many questions lol. But yea i'm sure that my math is correct, they were officially flipped on July 14th. And i'm using a 600 watt HPS at 75%. The lights about 20-22 inches away from my tallest one and temps are usually 79-82 when on. But I'm afraid if i put the light closer it might burn her. Could my light distance be the reason? I haven't used any nute additives either. And thanks again for being so kind, its good to see people wanting to share their knowledge with others. Happy Growing Guys!

Top Bottom