When To Start Flushing Dwc

• Thread starter Newbie83
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Newbie83

Ok so I'm getting towards the last couple of weeks of my first ever grow. I've had a number of issues with heat and am surprised I got them this far and looking as frosty as they do. I need to know when to start flushing as all I can find is when its ready to harvest but on the actual time to start the flush Is a mystery. I currently only have about 5% Amber and not sure how quickly they start to turn but the hairs don't look near enough ready. Any help would be much appreciated

Also how long will I need to flush in DWC do I just go by the leaves changing colour

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Kind of a loaded question lol but so are lots of things in growing. I would give it at least 5 days to a week minimum. flushing depends on the level of nutrients that have built up in the tissue throughout the grow. with that in mind, if your a heavy feeder and tend to push the PPMs towards the upper limit, your likley going to need more time for those nutrients to leach out of the plant. and if your a light feeder, you can flush for less time. the leafs changing color is one indication of how the flush is going, but I wouldn't go by leaf color alone.

as far as trichome color, there are lots of different 'methods' people use to decide when to flush/harvest, some people (myself included) prefer to do it when most of the trichomes are milky in color. Some people let them get to 10-20% amber before harvesting. hell, I have a buddy that wants at least 50% of them amber, but I dont recommend that. The school of thought here, is that the more amber trichomes you have, the more 'couch-lock' type high you will get. but it wont change a sativa to an indica, it'll just give it an indica 'lean' as I call it. I say it like that because the strain cant jump from one type to another, but it can lean more towards the effects of an indica if grown correctly.

Make sure you prepare your drying space, like now lol. It could seem early but drying and curing are CRUCIAL! You could have the dankest of the dank, but if its not cured right, or if its dried too fast, it's going to taste like sheep shit and wont do much for you. remember that light and air degrade THC, so you want your buds in a dark place with decent airflow, be sure your not pointing the fan directly at the buds. you want air circulating through the room As a grower, the best way to learn is experience. Don't be afraid to try something new. if you fail, consider it a lesson learned and move forward with your head held high, amigo!
Best of luck to you! stay red eyed, smiley, and live life irie!

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Since you're already at 5%, just swap out for clean r/o water and watch the ppm's spike upward the next few days.

Your goal should be to chop before 15% amber hits, even if you don't feel the flush is completely done. I would rather have a bit of low blood pressure (head rush) issues than have to reach for caffeine to stay awake after each bowl. :)

jammie

jammie

my 5 gallon dwc girls tend to use about a gallon of water daily. i just add back ph'd r/o water for the last 2 weeks. after the first week my ppm's is usually down from 600-700 to 350ish. by harvest they're down to 200ppm and just beginning to turn yellow. don't like to completely go to zero ppm's because i feel that it stresses the plant too much

AnEn

AnEn

All strains are different. I let them feed until all the calyx swells up , and then start flushing.
During the 10-14 days of flush leaves turn colors, and EC goes down which is a sign that ladies are leaching out , and depleting themselves. At the same time 15-20% of trichs turn amber. It all happen simultaneously.
If you put them on flush before calyx is swollen, you may loose some density and weight.

J

Jogasam

I've been told flushing is a myth and it seems to be 50/50 on that... anyone got in convincing evidence to support either?

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

In hydro systems you shouldn't need a long flush. I run rdwc and chop plants after 3 days of an ec below .2 . The week prior to this i cut nutes back half strength. In dirt its more necessary for the longer flush since you have built up fertilizer in your soil. Hydro doesn't have this problem since you can drain all your water out that has all the left over nutrients in it. The plants will tell you when they are ready the dont really take up much nutrients the last week before harvest anyway.

C

Canndidly

I've been told flushing is a myth and it seems to be 50/50 on that... anyone got in convincing evidence to support either?

Yes, you do need to flush. My convincing evidence is harsh-bad tasting buds. You should flush long enough so all you taste is the bud's natural flavor, unless you enjoy the added unpalatable flavoring of Phosphorous and Potassium. Like everything else, yet another small detail that will ruin your harvest if it's not flushed long enough.

Depending on the ppm/ec levels the week prior to flush determines how long you should flush for. Everyone has their own feelings on how long that should be but 7 days is a rule of thumb.

JMcG

JMcG

All strains are different. I let them feed until all the calyx swells up , and then start flushing.
During the 10-14 days of flush leaves turn colors, and EC goes down which is a sign that ladies are leaching out , and depleting themselves. At the same time 15-20% of trichs turn amber. It all happen simultaneously.
If you put them on flush before calyx is swollen, you may loose some density and weight.
Definitely wait for the swell! Until you see it happen you may not appreciate how it bulks out a harvest.
Hey AnEn... nice looking pup in your avatar! I swear I just pet her yesterday!

N

Newbie83

Hello all it feels like forever since I posted and to be honest I was a bit embarrassed of my crop it looked all airy and shit.
This is what I did anyway.
So I flushed for 5-6 days (plants on different water changes). On harvest I cut branchs off and trimmed before hanging the entire branch. My small shitty OG Kush was left to hang for 5 days in the tent and the blue was left for 7 days. I then split with my partner to put into jars, the kush wasn't dry enough when it went in so I took it out put in an airing cupboard and kept an eye on it before putting back in the jar repeating several times. The couple of days difference in drying is noticeable with the blue the curing is much better. One thing I have noticed with drying/curing when it becomes less of an issue to get off your hands it's getting ready to smoke but keep it curing. Enough of that I managed to get a total combined weight of 7 and a half ounces. This I wasn't expecting as both plants struggled in the cold. The quality of bud for these plants compared to the shit I've been buying is ridiculous. I haven't been able to get perfect conditions but this shit tastes nice and gets me baked. It's also gonna save me 3 months worth of smoke. The one on the left is the blue and the right is the kush. The kush is nostalgia to me will want to grow it again for sure. The only thing I would say is I needed to flush longer the smoke is quite thick.

IMG 3091
N

Newbie83

Note, I do like to squeeze them tight not to tight mind but when there at a certain stage makes it easier to pull apart as I hate grinders. Anyway this is the end of my first grow and at the minute I couldn't be happier thanks to everyone that commented has made me feel a lot better at times anyway on to the next

Top Bottom