when to start harvest flush?

• Thread starter malachii
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
malachii

malachii

Hi guys,

Have had some trouble finding this information with the search feature. I want to flush for a week prior to harvest, and that time is approaching soon (on my first grow). I picked up a magnifier, and it appears I'm at about 40% milky, 60% clear on my trichs. I figure I'll harvest when I'm at 20-50% amber, but I have no idea how far out I am from that. Maybe start when I start seeing my first ambers popping up?

Thanks!

Mal.

p.s. I'm using Pure Blend Pro - some people may say that flushing isn't necessary. Please do chime in. If not, I'll err on the side of caution and flush.

I

ibTheMan

a week is alright but it really depends on the color of your plants, if there dark they may need more, if there lighter in color a week is pretty good.

malachii

malachii

I think I might not have explained myself very well... I mean if I want to flush for a week, when do I know when to start based on the trichs?

I know to harvest when some amber shows, but if I flush for 1-2 weeks, then I'll be over-done if start flushing when some amber shows.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
hello

when your at 80% cloudy start fulshing on a general basis for most (not all) strains this should give you a 7 - 14 till done for indica (sativa is different ):hi

RobotChicken

RobotChicken

Hey there we understood the question but IBTHEMAN was still trying to help you.

To simply answer your question. You have to test out the particular strain your growing yourself and make notes of when the trichs turn amber.

But to help you, there is more if you would like to know.

Flushing is truly up to the individual and there are many different ideas of ways to go about it.

Two week flush is minimum flush time in my garden. Three weeks is the usual. Four weeks if I am growing a long flowering strain. 4 weeks might me a little extreme but I am known to have OCD and the medicine turns out phenomenal. The Cure, the Flavor, the smooth hit and the head turn out better then ever.

Sometimes I will do the first week of flush using hygrozyme, NUTS and maybe a little sugar to get my plant to use up all the nutrients in the medium. then RO water for the remainder of the last two or three weeks.

I have OLD friends who flush for 3 days using clearex or some type of cleaner product.... but their medicine is truly sub-par. It burns like a big black charcoal in the bowl, it burns your nose and throat.

If I were you I would start flushing now and wait two weeks at least then the trichs should be mostly cloudy and a good amount of amber by the time your done.

hope that helps

RC

malachii

malachii

To simply answer your question. You have to test out the particular strain your growing yourself and make notes of when the trichs turn amber.

Flushing is truly up to the individual and there are many different ideas of ways to go about it.

Two week flush is minimum flush time in my garden. Three weeks is the usual. Four weeks if I am growing a long flowering strain. 4 weeks might me a little extreme but I am known to have OCD and the medicine turns out phenomenal. The Cure, the Flavor, the smooth hit and the head turn out better then ever.

Sometimes I will do the first week of flush using hygrozyme, NUTS and maybe a little sugar to get my plant to use up all the nutrients in the medium. then RO water for the remainder of the last two or three weeks.

I have OLD friends who flush for 3 days using clearex or some type of cleaner product.... but their medicine is truly sub-par. It burns like a big black charcoal in the bowl, it burns your nose and throat.

If I were you I would start flushing now and wait two weeks at least then the trichs should be mostly cloudy and a good amount of amber by the time your done.

hope that helps

RC

Hey thanks, I guess you're right in that IBTHEMAN was providing some advice regarding length of flush. I think it was too late at night when I checked the forum LOL. Sorry if I didn't respond in kind.

Anyhow, I figured 2-4 weeks would be really bad for the plants, not having any nutes at all?

If they'll survive that OK, then I I'll start flushing when I'm "mostly cloudy", which I don't know, I'm guessing will be in 1 week if I'm at 40% cloudy now. I'll have to check every few days I suppose. Getting too excited!

Thanks for the responses guys.

Mal.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

hope that helps

RC

Hi RC. When you're flushing, do you mean in the traditional sense where you use 3x (or 4x - I forget) the volume of the pots? Or is this basically watering where you've dropped the base nutes & most the additives?

Also, I've used a flushing agent (FloraKleen) w/ about 2x the pot volume for 2-3 days, and then plain water for 7 days & it came out great. I'm really shooting to rinse the media, using the FloraKleen, until I'm getting <100ppm runoff. That way I know there are no remaining nutes in the media and the plant has to consume from itself. I wonder if pulling the fan leaves at this point would be a good idea. Any opinion?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I say start your flush now - if you dont know the strain and how soon it ambers from when you are 40% cloudy - it could ripen in a week and you want at least a week

how do the buds look - are the calyxes swollen? does it still lool like they are packing on wieght? are you still seeing lots of white hairs?

I like to add 1 tbsp/5 gal unsulfured molasses every other water in during final flush

flushing also could help speed up how fast you plant matures

you didnt mention your medium - because that makes a huge difference

on strains that I know when they should finish I do half strength nutes for 4 - 6 days until I see them start to yellow and water/molasses 10-12 days or longer until they amber up - currently in coco

malachii

malachii

Here's the pics I promised. Sorry for the lack of photography skill. These are the 3 plants.

I checked, and now, all 3 plants are around 30-50% milky. No amber on any of them.

Picture 1 : My juicy kush plant, about 30% milky trichs. Buds are hard and the calyxes (sp?) appear quite swollen to me. The hairs are maybe 20% dark -> most are still white. My most swollen, but least 'ready' plant I think, but strange, supposedly has the shortest flowering period according to the 'brochure'.

Picture 2 : My white widow plant, about 40% milky trichs. Less swollen than #1 to my eyes. The hairs are about 40% dark.

Picture 3 : My 'pot of gold' kush, about 40% milky trichs. Buds are fairly hard, and the calyxes appear fairly swollen, but not as much as #1. The hairs appear to be about 50% dark/orange.

What do you guys think? Time to start flushing one, two, or three?

p.s. I know -> the widow plant has some burn on her. for some reason she was more temperamental than the other two, which are kush based.

P1010757
P1010758 Modified
P1010759 Modified
M

Malstal1

mine are looking the same and I am in the same boat - deciding whether to go ahead and flush ay help guys ?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Here's the pics I promised. Sorry for the lack of photography skill. These are the 3 plants.

I checked, and now, all 3 plants are around 30-50% milky. No amber on any of them.

Picture 1 : My juicy kush plant, about 30% milky trichs. Buds are hard and the calyxes (sp?) appear quite swollen to me. The hairs are maybe 20% dark -> most are still white. My most swollen, but least 'ready' plant I think, but strange, supposedly has the shortest flowering period according to the 'brochure'.

Picture 2 : My white widow plant, about 40% milky trichs. Less swollen than #1 to my eyes. The hairs are about 40% dark.

Picture 3 : My 'pot of gold' kush, about 40% milky trichs. Buds are fairly hard, and the calyxes appear fairly swollen, but not as much as #1. The hairs appear to be about 50% dark/orange.

What do you guys think? Time to start flushing one, two, or three?

p.s. I know -> the widow plant has some burn on her. for some reason she was more temperamental than the other two, which are kush based.
Milky, no amber?

Top Bottom