When To Transplant, Lowering Ph

• Thread starter Mental1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mental1

Good morning Gentlemen. I am an amateur gardener and even more amateur first time "grower". I have 6 plants which I want to transplant into 7 gal fabric grow bags. Should I wait until the roots start coming out the bottom of the container? Or just do it now. The seeds were started in peat pods, then transplanted into these 3-4 in pots. I had them in my garage with 24 hour light but they seem to like it better outside. I put them in mesh shaded sun during the day then back under the grow light at night. The other thing is just looking for a recommendation: should I use the liquid PH down product or something like aluminum sulphate? I'm leaning towards the liquid as I can easier control the amount. All of the pots test out at about 7.2 to 7.4 PH, and both my tap water and RO water test the same.

When to transplant lowering ph
When to transplant lowering ph 2
When to transplant lowering ph 3
When to transplant lowering ph 4
JustStartedD

JustStartedD

Wait about 25-30 days to do your first transplant. The reason u transplant is to give your plants new soil, new bacteria to promote new growth. If you go from a small nursery pot to a 7 gal pot the plant will grow all the way through harvest but at some point you'll have to buy some compost/fertilizer and add it to the soil.
As for transplant I would go solo cup to half gal nursery pot to 1-2 gal to your final pot 5+
Let the roots build up then move up and repeat again until at your final vessel. mychorizea will speed up your root production

M

Mental1

Wait about 25-30 days to do your first transplant. The reason u transplant is to give your plants new soil, new bacteria to promote new growth. If you go from a small nursery pot to a 7 gal pot the plant will grow all the way through harvest but at some point you'll have to buy some compost/fertilizer and add it to the soil.
As for transplant I would go solo cup to half gal nursery pot to 1-2 gal to your final pot 5+
Let the roots build up then move up and repeat again until at your final vessel. mychorizea will speed up your root production
Thanks so much for the info! So essentially, let the plants become "almost" root bound, then transplant.

JustStartedD

JustStartedD

Thanks so much for the info! So essentially, let the plants become "almost" root bound, then transplant.
Right , almost root bound but not quite. I'd say day 1-30 in small pot. 31- and on in 1-2 gal
And just before u flip to flower transplant to your last one.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Also that miracle grow nutes, they are well not ideal.. go for fish emulsion, seaweed, kelp type products at this stage, they are more gentle then salt based fertilizer. Safer and organic, also, ph wouldn’t be so critical with the organic fertilizer used.

JustStartedD

JustStartedD

Isn't the ph high?
By ph he is referring to water/soil ph. But you won't really know what your ph is until you get a ph meter , also plants in "organic soil" only feed at a certain range of ph I believe it's 5.9-6.8 ph and you want your water to be in that range so the levels or some trace minerals in the water don't become toxic to the plant.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I find my fert solution lowers the ph of the water to about 6.6. It starts at about 7-7.5 depending on what I’m using. Seems to be an ideal range. I do like to amend my soil mix with dolomite lime, just don’t use too much of it. It adds a little extra cal and mg and keeps the ph fairly stable.

Top Bottom