Which Calyx Do I Check?

• Thread starter Hdinkleman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hdinkleman

Which calyx do i check
Well guys after my first harvest being done and me getting the hunidity controller as suggested i am waiting for my buds to dry. question i shouldve asked earlier when worrying more about how to dry is

can someone post a picture of WHICH calyx to check for ripeness? im now worried i picked the weed too early because of checking trichone ripeness on fan leaves, where exactly is the calyx to check? i guess i was looking at the top of the colas and that was the wrong place? am i supposed to be checking the seed pod on the underside? i dont know yet whether the pot is good, been hard to judge on my couple sample smokes of half wet bud.
righy now im seeming to get a very “heady” and almost “visual” high. i almost feel like im floating when i smoke it. not much of a body/couchlock stone though. pretty good flavor, i get a piney/fruity/sharp “good green” taste. smell is good also, like berrys mixed with skunk and cat piss lol.
so anyways back to the wuestion, where exactly is yhe calyx i should be checking ( pictures please would be greatly appreciated thanks.

blue cookies chopped at 58 days flowering (8 weeks 2 days) after 60 days veg.

Which calyx do i check
Which calyx do i check 2
Which calyx do i check 3
Which calyx do i check 4
Which calyx do i check 5

BTW the growweedeasy site sucks, sorry but there is a shitload of bad information on there, nebula haze seems like a flake who is floating around alot of old wives tales type of info. being stoned the other night and reading the harvest and cure section convinced me to chop the plants down, probably too early.

Which calyx do i check 6
H

Hdinkleman

i had found some amber trichones, my reasoning was if im seeing amber trichones, then the ones i was questionable about MUST BE cloudy and not clear, i thibk i was just looking at sugar leaves and not the calyx of the buds, which i still dont know where to look.
also the couple sample buds that i had harvested seemed to actually turn amber trichs when i harvested them? so i figured if a bud i picked a week ago is now 10% amber trichs that the rest of the bud must be done

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
There is good info on there. You check the trichome heads and you can do that on the side of the buds on the sugar leaves (the smaller leaves that connect to the calyxs). Harvest time is based on personal preference. So it’s up to you.

You can also do a partial harvest and let the rest go longer. Chop a few buds early, let em dry out, a few more buds a few days or week after that and then again another week or so later and judge for yourself.

Eventually you’ll get a good feeling for when you prefer to harvest. Everyone likes things a little differently. I myself like to chop when some heads are still clear, most are cloudy and a few are turning amber. This gives me peak potency. However if you want to take the edge off a racy soaring high you can let them go longer. If you want to reduce the sleepiness of an indica strain you can chop a little earlier.

The choice is yours and very few people will notice much of a difference as they probably don’t have as much time and thought into the subject. Only seasoned growers with lots of experience with a particular strain would ever know one way or the other.

H

Hdinkleman

ok so after getting hime from work i check the buds and now lots of amber are showing up, so they had to have changed after drying, im hoping the high gets better with the cure maybe? still not sure what to think yet.
how many days do the plants need to hang?

H

Hdinkleman

well update here on my harvest/—
so basically going into drying blind i learned a couple things, but i think i also let my bud dry a tad too much, at least the buds that were on stems i had cut in half. i think i caught the other ones which i didnt cut in half right in time. they have a nice texture to the buds a nice squishyness and i put all the bud i had hanging into some paper bags very gently, double bagged it also, im thinking it will sweat out some of the moisture inthe moddle of the buds and ill burp them as well for a week or two. i get it when people say its hard to explain, and then when you get it you realize it was pretty easy and all you need is to get the bud in the jar when its almost dry but not too dry, and after the initial hang you want to slow down the next stage of drying, im doing that in the paper bags, when its just about right ill toss it in jars.
i think ive seen what good weed looks like and kind of think about reverse engineering what it mistve looked like when entering a jar, thats what made my dinkleman mind atart churning

H

Hdinkleman

There is good info on there. You check the trichome heads and you can do that on the side of the buds on the sugar leaves (the smaller leaves that connect to the calyxs). Harvest time is based on personal preference. So it’s up to you.

You can also do a partial harvest and let the rest go longer. Chop a few buds early, let em dry out, a few more buds a few days or week after that and then again another week or so later and judge for yourself.

Eventually you’ll get a good feeling for when you prefer to harvest. Everyone likes things a little differently. I myself like to chop when some heads are still clear, most are cloudy and a few are turning amber. This gives me peak potency. However if you want to take the edge off a racy soaring high you can let them go longer. If you want to reduce the sleepiness of an indica strain you can chop a little earlier.

The choice is yours and very few people will notice much of a difference as they probably don’t have as much time and thought into the subject. Only seasoned growers with lots of experience with a particular strain would ever know one way or the other.
i think the high came out decent, i smoked some of the kinda dryer stuff and its a different high than the commercial i am used to but its nice, im proud i grew the shit organically and i know what went into it also is a plus

PETRICHOR

PETRICHOR

Hey and good morning! I stumbled upon doubling the potency of my buds by maintaining humidity in the jar with things like boveda packs........55 days in ajar and I didn't wanna let anymore go! Lmao!

PETRICHOR

PETRICHOR

i think the high came out decent, i smoked some of the kinda dryer stuff and its a different high than the commercial i am used to but its nice, im proud i grew the shit organically and i know what went into it also is a plus
If everyone trials and error like we do brother ......the world would be a diff place!

Seraphine

Seraphine

A lot of the trichomes still look clear, it probably could have went another week or two but if it smokes okay then it doesn’t really matter. It’s hard to tell from your pictures where the calyxes are.

Depending on the strain, I’ll see a lot of amber, clear and cloudy on the calyx all at same time so when it’s confusing like that, I’ll cut a small 1-2 gram sample (usually just snip a top cola) and cut it up smaller so it dries faster to use as a tester. Other times it’s very easy to determine harvest.

H

Hdinkleman

If everyone trials and error like we do brother ......the world would be a diff place!
i will definitely be more prepared for my next plants, i think i let the buds dry too much, i have them all in paper bags inside a bigger paper bag now, i definitely kinda know what i messed up on.
good thing is i have everything needed now for my next grow to be more successful.
i have a round of experience, i have all the hardware for growing and drying, and i have a general groundwork of what is actually happening at what stages of the growing cycle.

H

Hdinkleman

A lot of the trichomes still look clear, it probably could have went another week or two but if it smokes okay then it doesn’t really matter. It’s hard to tell from your pictures where the calyxes are.

Depending on the strain, I’ll see a lot of amber, clear and cloudy on the calyx all at same time so when it’s confusing like that, I’ll cut a small 1-2 gram sample (usually just snip a top cola) and cut it up smaller so it dries faster to use as a tester. Other times it’s very easy to determine harvest.

the strain was blue cookies from crop king, they listed it as a 9 week strain, i chopped at 8 weeks 3 days into 12/12.

i definietly think i shoulve waited the whole 9 weeks if not longer. i saw a couple amber trichs <10% and after reading all the fear mongering on GROWWEEDEASY.com i decided to chop. one thing i have learned about growing weed is theres alot of bad information on the internet. im not a greenthumb (yet) but im not stupid, and i have the common sense to know if things dont look/feel right. i feel that alot of stuff i did was from being paranoid after reading internet horror stories.

H

Hdinkleman

Hey and good morning! I stumbled upon doubling the potency of my buds by maintaining humidity in the jar with things like boveda packs........55 days in ajar and I didn't wanna let anymore go! Lmao!

let me get this straint though...

if i were to use boveda62% pack, i want to put the bud inside the jar with it BEFORE the buds humidity drops below 62% correct?

because you want the dessicant pack to LOWER the humidity to 62% NOT RAISE it to 62% correct? once the bud dries below that the curing has stopped because its dry, curing is essentially the second stage of drying where you want to remove the last remaining anount of moisture AT THE SLOWEST RATE POSSIBLE

step 1 of dry/cure is removing the majority of water moisture fron the bud while still leaving another 15-20% moisture in the bud

step 2- removing the final 15-20% moisture in the bud AT THE SLOWEST RATE POSSIBLE ending at somewhere around 65-70%

step 3- jar weed at 62-65% RH in jar for storage

does that sound about right? let me know, i think about this stuff 24/7 i honestly wish i could grow for a local dispensary, the stuff i have bought there is not grown well, i feel my bud is better and its my first grow lol.

fyi i live in a lefal east coast state, the dispensarys around here are not good, last two eigths i bought were full of seeds for 57$ lol...

Seraphine

Seraphine

I don’t go through that much effort to dry and cure. I slow dry for about one week by cutting the main stem and hanging the whole plant upside down. In my grow space the temp is naturally in the low 70s with about 40-50% humidity. Once the buds snap off from the branch (after about 7-10 days) it’s good to go into your curing jars.

There are all kinds of ways to dry and cure, find what works for you and stick with it.

H

Hdinkleman

I don’t go through that much effort to dry and cure. I slow dry for about one week by cutting the main stem and hanging the whole plant upside down. In my grow space the temp is naturally in the low 70s with about 40-50% humidity. Once the buds snap off from the branch (after about 7-10 days) it’s good to go into your curing jars.

There are all kinds of ways to dry and cure, find what works for you and stick with it.

ok so what works for me would be someone explaining how to use a bobeda 62% pack, how does that work was i almost right in the above post or am i way off?

Top Bottom