Who's Growing Tlo Style (the Rev)?

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
brazel

brazel

It has to the SPM since you're tasting moss, right? To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time I've heard that. Premier or Alaska SPM, try one of them next time... maybe?
I find I get the best tasting herb I've ever had!
Cheers

Minitiger

Minitiger

It has to the SPM since you're tasting moss, right? To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time I've heard that. Premier or Alaska SPM, try one of them next time... maybe?
I find I get the best tasting herb I've ever had!
Cheers

Haha... Yeah, dude, of course it's the peat moss I use in my soil mix that's imparting a "peat moss flavor." My weed tastes really, really good, but that peat element is always there. And unless I go bigger and need more dirt, I won't be utilizing any more peat. I just recycle, recycle, recycle.....

Anyway, back to @Perception 's grow...

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I have 3 of the Rev's strains started and growing via his TLO method and soil mix:
KOS Dark Dragon
KOS Black Poison Skunk
KOS Hemmy Black

I germinated using the wet paper towel method because it works great for me. I just put 3-4 wet (very wet but not standing water) paper towels on a dinner plate, cover with one wet paper towel and Saran Wrap and place it on top of the cable TV box. I have Comcast and the box is always on and warm to the touch 24/7. When using this method, you better be ready because within 24 hours they will be sprouted and, within 48 hours they will be "OMG, I need to deal with this now!" long. I had 100% germination rates with the Rev's gear.:)

BTW, he has Boggle Dragon f2 for sale starting today. I couldn't help myself and went for it. It is Dark Dragon's father.

IMG 1093
Perception

Perception

I have 3 of the Rev's strains started and growing via his TLO method and soil mix:
KOS Dark Dragon
KOS Black Poison Skunk
KOS Hemmy Black

I germinated using the wet paper towel method because it works great for me. I just put 3-4 wet (very wet but not standing water) paper towels on a dinner plate, cover with one wet paper towel and Saran Wrap and place it on top of the cable TV box. I have Comcast and the box is always on and warm to the touch 24/7. When using this method, you better be ready because within 24 hours they will be sprouted and, within 48 hours they will be "OMG, I need to deal with this now!" long. I had 100% germination rates with the Rev's gear.:)

BTW, he has Boggle Dragon f2 for sale starting today. I couldn't help myself and went for it. It is Dark Dragon's father.

Nice! Good timing. I'm growing the following two strains:

KOS Coma Cluster (indica dom)
KOS Darkling Sativa (Sativa dom)

On Popping Seeds
You know, I've never had trouble popping seeds before, as I always used to soak them in water overnight, then throw in to root riot cubes in a humidity dome, under CFLs. 100% success always.

This time though, I REALLY wanted to start them from day 1 in the soil, with some good endo/ecto fungus starter. Also, under my full power light (using a 315LEC veg 4100k bulb). I live in a very dry climate, so while some might not need a humidity dome, it seems to help out here more. Two weeks ago, I popped the seeds in 3" square pots, with no humidity dome. They would break surface, and then while I was at work the top soil would dry out and 5/6 seeds just didn't make it.

I just ran an experiment over the last week with some old hermie seeds, and tried popping them under humidity dome. Everything worked splendidly. The top soil just doesn't dry out as quickly. So yesterday I planted some more KOS seeds again, and will see how it goes this time.

brazel

brazel

KOS Dark Dragon
KOS Black Poison Skunk
KOS Hemmy Black

Yeah, the paper towel method works good.
The only problem it presents that I'm aware of is... sometimes the taproot can grow through the fibers of the paper towel which can break when removing the seed.

I prefer straight in soil but if they're old seeds I'll soak in ful power first

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Hey Perception!,

I hear ya! My last grow, I decided the same thing (starting straight from soil). Unfortunately, one of my strains, the main strain that I was counting on, was a dud (confirmed when starting more using paper towel method with duds and everything else was good to go) and of course, I wondered if it was me (trying to start from soil).
To make matters easier this time, I just figured I should do what I know works (learned from screwing around as a teenager with bagseed) ... and it still works.. The Rev even says in his book that he doesn't look down on the paper towels method as he did it for years....whatever works (but starting in soil is in his view, best).
Imho, the beginning stages are really stressful as the sprouts are very vulnerable and shit can happen overnight.
There is a reason I didn't respond to this thread until my babies were on their way. lol;)

Really looking forward to your grow and I am excited with your strain selection. I was looking at both of those.

Minitiger

Minitiger

Hey Perception!,

I hear ya! My last grow, I decided the same thing (starting straight from soil). Unfortunately, one of my strains, the main strain that I was counting on, was a dud (confirmed when starting more using paper towel method with duds and everything else was good to go) and of course, I wondered if it was me (trying to start from soil).
To make matters easier this time, I just figured I should do what I know works (learned from screwing around as a teenager with bagseed) ... and it still works.. The Rev even says in his book that he doesn't look down on the paper towels method as he did it for years....whatever works (but starting in soil is in his view, best).
Imho, the beginning stages are really stressful as the sprouts are very vulnerable and shit can happen overnight.
There is a reason I didn't respond to this thread until my babies were on their way. lol;)

Really looking forward to your grow and I am excited with your strain selection. I was looking at both of those.

I was always start seeds straight in the dirt, but like you and @Perception said, you run the risk of the dirt drying out too quickly and sprouts fizzling out and dying. I never had that problem until my last two runs, lost almost half my sprouts both times. I'll always use a dome from here on out. I feel like the house we bought last summer dries everything out, because the house we lived in before I never had a problem with the soil drying out. Weird shit. We're still in LA, not even ten miles from where we used to live, there really shouldn't be much of a difference from house to house, but this one seems..... drier. I've even had to start moisturizing my skin haha! It just feels drier in our new neighborhood.

@goingtoguano It's been a while since I've been on the farm and even longer since I've looked at this thread, only logged on just now because I was getting ready to finally finish up my last log with some long-overdue smoke reports. How did your grow turn out?

Perception

Perception

GAH! Fungus gnat larvae eating some of my seeds! The humidity dome definitely helped, and 4 of my 6 most recent seedlings sprouted and made it, but I found fungus gnat larvae eating the 2 sprouted seeds that stalled out. Those little buggers eat the whole sprout!

I may plant two more seeds, and then mix some diatomaceous earth in the top soil to hopefully kill any gnats. Those little bastards eating my $8 seeds!

F

FunkyG

One thing I've noticed about all of my grows using Coots mix is that that peat moss flavor is pretty apparent in the finished product. Obviously, there are other flavors present, too, but the peat moss is always there. Sometimes it's more noticeable in certain than others. I'm kind of getting sick of it (not really). I dunno what buds grown in the Rev's mix taste like, but yeah, man, that fucking peat moss flavor.... haha.

That Bu's blend (Malibu compost) is good shit. I used that for the humus third of the second batch of Coots mix that I made a year and a half or two years ago (has it been that long...?), as opposed to the EWC I used for my first batch. One thing I noticed, though, was that I developed a little fungus gnat problem that never happened before I used that compost. I can't say definitively that the Bu's was the reason, just something I noticed. I like the Bu's for compost teas for sure. And now both batches of soil have been mixed together and recycled, doubt I'll have any issues with gnats in the future (they were super-east to deal with anyway, just some nematodes and diatomaceous earth).

Anyway, I'm stoked that you're starting this grow. Keep us updated.

100% it's that compost as I just went through it with a recent purchase. Built 4 brand new 15 gallon no tills with it and they were infested w/ gnats.. We give them the perfect environment to breed because were basically filling our pots with decaying cover crops and fungus from bokashi and all sorts of shit... What I did to kill them was lots of sticky traps, 2 rounds of spraying spinosad about a week apart.. watered with BT every 3 days for a couple weeks, and I still had freaking flyers after 12-14 days.. What FINALLY allowed me to get rid of them was unfortunatley peeling back my mulch layer dusting the surface w/ diatomacious earth and bottom feeding for about 10 days.

I would keep the tops slightly moist as to not let the life die off, and then feed the rest from the bottom. I also placed sticky cards right at the base of the stem right on top of the soil and this attracted all the super tiny little guys and finished them off..

I'm still battling it and its 6 weeks into veg and ready to flip, but I'm holding off till i'm 100% sure they're gone.. I was catching hundreds a day on my stick cards and its much better now.. the battle is REAL with these bastards.

To say I was disappointed with my soil I purchased from one of the top 2 reputable dealers that almost everyone recommends(I won't put them on blast this time as they've offered to make good and admitted it was their problem due to the compost) is an understatement.

I'm gonna give them another chance with their new mix they say is heated to kill off the problem larvae and if i have the same problem I'll be done w/ them for sure.

Perception

Perception

Update on Seedlings & Fungus Gnats
Those Fungus Gnats were eating all my seeds! I did a 2nd round and they got me again - killed all the seeds. On my 3rd round, I planted the un-sprouted seeds in Root Riot cubes, watered with OG Biowar Foliar, and sprinkled diatomaceous earth on them. The plan was to keep them AWAY from my TLO soil until they got established. I also got their 3" pots ready with TLO soil, and used the OG Biowar & Diatomaceous on them as well, to kill any gnats before planting in to. The 3" pots sat in tent with nothing in them, to let the OG Biowar & Diatomaceous do their work before transplanting in to.

This worked perfectly! All 6 seedlings sprouted, and I have transplanted 5 of them in to their 3" containers. One still remains.

I have a month-old survivor that I up-potted in to a 1 gallon pot, using High N spikes (2 of them), and about a teaspoon of the High-N layering blend on the floor of the pot.

IMG 2426 v2
Minitiger

Minitiger

Update on Seedlings & Fungus Gnats
Those Fungus Gnats were eating all my seeds! I did a 2nd round and they got me again - killed all the seeds. On my 3rd round, I planted the un-sprouted seeds in Root Riot cubes, watered with OG Biowar Foliar, and sprinkled diatomaceous earth on them. The plan was to keep them AWAY from my TLO soil until they got established. I also got their 3" pots ready with TLO soil, and used the OG Biowar & Diatomaceous on them as well, to kill any gnats before planting in to. The 3" pots sat in tent with nothing in them, to let the OG Biowar & Diatomaceous do their work before transplanting in to.

This worked perfectly! All 6 seedlings sprouted, and I have transplanted 5 of them in to their 3" containers. One still remains.

I have a month-old survivor that I up-potted in to a 1 gallon pot, using High N spikes (2 of them), and about a teaspoon of the High-N layering blend on the floor of the pot.

OG Biowar is the SHIT. I’ve used it in every grow except the last one. Like I said in a previous post, I had a little fungus gnat problem last grow and I have to assume it was a combination of using the Bu’s and not using the Biowar. Anyway, yeah....

What’s that “survivor” strain, @Perception ?

And what’re the seedling strains?

I have to say that of the four strains I grew last round (Bodhi’s The Fuzz and Clusterfunk, Rare Dankness’ Tangerine Kush and The Rev’s El Jefe Thai), the El Jefe Thai is my least favorite. It yielded the least of any of my plants (I think only around 65grams in a three gallon smart pot with an extremely long veg time), is the least sticky and tastes the worst. It smells really good (very lemon-y) but it doesn’t taste or smoke good. All of my other flowers burn very smooth, super-light grey ash, but the El Jefe doesn’t smoke like that at all. I also found a shitload of undeveloped seed pods in the last nug I broke up. It was probably about a gram nug and I found around twenty pods in it. Very weird. I didn’t see any sort of male flowers when it was growing, but yeah, there were a shitload of pods in the last nug I broke up.

Anywaaaaayyyyy....

Last edited:
Perception

Perception

OG Biowar is the SHIT. I’ve used it in every grow except the last one. Like I said in a previous post, I had a little fungus gnat problem last grow and I have to assume it was a combination of using the Bu’s and not using the Biowar. Anyway, yeah....

What’s that “survivor” strain, @Perception ?

And what’re the seedling strains?

I have to say that of the four strains I grew last round (Bodhi’s The Fuzz and Clusterfunk, Rare Dankness’ Tangerine Kush and The Rev’s El Jefe Thai), the El Jefe Thai is my least favorite. It yielded the least of any of my plants (I think only around 65grams in a three gallon smart pot with an extremely long veg time), is the least sticky and tastes the worst. It smells really good (very lemon-y) but it doesn’t taste or smoke good. All of my other flowers burn very smooth, super-light grey ash, but the El Jefe doesn’t smoke like that at all. I also found a shitload of undeveloped seed pods in the last nug I broke up. It was probably about a gram nug and I found around twenty pods in it. Very weird. I didn’t see any sort of male flowers when it was growing, but yeah, there were a shitload of pods in the last nug I broke up.

Anywaaaaayyyyy....

I'm growing two Kingdom Organic Seeds (KOS) strains right now (The "survivor" is just an older Darkling Sativa. ):

1) 4x - Darkling Sativa (Sativa dominant)
2) 4x - Coma Cluster (Indica dominant)

I'm guessing 4 will be males, so hopefully will have 4 plants flower in the end.

R

RanchoDeluxe

GAH! Fungus gnat larvae eating some of my seeds! The humidity dome definitely helped, and 4 of my 6 most recent seedlings sprouted and made it, but I found fungus gnat larvae eating the 2 sprouted seeds that stalled out. Those little buggers eat the whole sprout!

I may plant two more seeds, and then mix some diatomaceous earth in the top soil to hopefully kill any gnats. Those little bastards eating my $8 seeds!

I've had that happen. The best thing to do in that situation are rapid rooters and a dome. Just need to be careful and pull the dome as soon as you see the first sprout.
RD

Perception

Perception

Short update: the grow is going very well. The six young plants are starting to take off, and older two in back very healthy.

I’ve noticed that the plants really take off about 5-7 days after up-potting, and I’m guessing that this is when the roots hit the fertilizer spikes on edges of pots.

All these are in 1 gal pots

185F608E B61D 4507 9C6C 979D7981EB44
26A1BC9D 44B4 450C BA67 B51A66540137
Perception

Perception

All the Plants got up-potted to the final flowering pots a week ago, and I flipped to flower a few days ago. I'm running 4x of the 13.9" (about 3.5gal) self watering pots recommended by The Rev, and 4x Smart Pots (3gal). Plants haven't been sexed yet though :/.

The flowering pots were all built according to the TLO 2.2 guide. Each pot got a perlite layer on bottom (I added a thin layer of soil on top of this before fertilizer), a bottom fertilizer layer (with some piles of bone meal), 2x Flowering spikes & 2x High N spikes (4 spikes total), a top fertilizer layer, and a mulch layer. I found some shredded bark mulch which is much finer than the small-chipped bark I was using before, and it saturates very well. Mulch is 2:1 bark to coir.

I've been watering with OG Biowar Products every 10-14 days this whole time, and plan to continue through flower. Other than that, I think I'll do a top dressing around week 4. So far, it's been really hands-off and very "water only".

IMG 2676
IMG 2683
IMG 2692
Minitiger

Minitiger

All the Plants got up-potted to the final flowering pots a week ago, and I flipped to flower a few days ago. I'm running 4x of the 13.9" (about 3.5gal) self watering pots recommended by The Rev, and 4x Smart Pots (3gal). Plants haven't been sexed yet though :/.

The flowering pots were all built according to the TLO 2.2 guide. Each pot got a perlite layer on bottom (I added a thin layer of soil on top of this before fertilizer), a bottom fertilizer layer (with some piles of bone meal), 2x Flowering spikes & 2x High N spikes (4 spikes total), a top fertilizer layer, and a mulch layer. I found some shredded bark mulch which is much finer than the small-chipped bark I was using before, and it saturates very well. Mulch is 2:1 bark to coir.

I've been watering with OG Biowar Products every 10-14 days this whole time, and plan to continue through flower. Other than that, I think I'll do a top dressing around week 4. So far, it's been really hands-off and very "water only".

Sweet! Sounds and looks real good, although I think you might wanna lay off the Biowar. I don’t know that watering that in is necessary every two weeks. A couple applications is enough. But that’s just me. I always subscribe to the “once we’re flowering, let the plants do their thing” idea. During veg, I might go a little overboard, but once 12/12is initiated, I tend to go water only. I don’t wanna fuck with the dirt at all during flower.

What’s that plant in the back-right hand corner in the last pic you posted? I love how branchy and thin-leaved it is. Looks delicious. Matter of fact, all of your plants are looking good, but I love that one in the corner.

Minitiger

Minitiger

I dunno if I’d do a top-dress at week four, either. Whatever you dress with is gonna take about two weeks to get assimilated by your soil biology and might throw shit off. If you wanna top-dress, do it now, I think. Or just keep giving them straight water. Plants look real good. Why add anything if they don’t need it? That Rev mix is loaded with everything a plant might need, I really don’t think a top-dress is necessary.

Top Bottom