Why Do You Guys Decarb If Using Fat?

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

I've not noticed any increase in potency between decarbed fat based edibles and non-decarbed. I've been making budder for about 5 years now, which isn't that long I agree, and never used decarbed except to try it out or use it in non-fat based edibles.

The way I make mine is steeping the cannabis, water and butter for 24 hours. Then I strain it, put it the remaining water and butter mixture in the pot. Put the mix in the fridge until it solidifies and then I separate the budder and freeze. Always superdupper strong and knocks me on my ass.

Do you guys find you have different experiences.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I've not noticed any increase in potency between decarbed fat based edibles and non-decarbed. I've been making budder for about 5 years now, which isn't that long I agree, and never used decarbed except to try it out or use it in non-fat based edibles.

The way I make mine is steeping the cannabis, water and butter for 24 hours. Then I strain it, put it the remaining water and butter mixture in the pot. Put the mix in the fridge until it solidifies and then I separate the budder and freeze. Always superdupper strong and knocks me on my ass.

I have made people miss work the next day and i dont decarb butter... I do decarb topicals though

xavier7995

xavier7995

Nah, you arent missing anything, just different schools of thought/methods. I found the same thing, when making butter the decarbing happens when you heat your mixture up in the crockpot.

I concur on decarbing before topicals (coco oil based), i make it the same as i would butter but the old dude that gets it says the decarbed stuff works better for his arthritis.

S

Simplicio

Long simmer butter recipes decarb the herb during the cooking process, but not very well.
Any strength butter will get you high if you use enough.
The best way to compare recipes is to make sure the same amount of original herb always goes into one dose of the finished product.
My testing shows that the most potent edibles, gram for gram of original herb, are made from whole decarbed herb powder without any straining.
1. Decarb the herb @ 240 F for 40 min
2. Grind to fine powder
3. Briefly cook in some lecithin, along with the herb powder, into the oil of any recipe
4. Bake and eat, using as little time/temp as possible
Instead of doing much baking, this can also be done using nut butter or nutella, but in this case, the product is strongest if the decarbed herb + lecithin is cooked in @ 220 F for 20 min, and then frozen, although the freeze step adds only a little to effectiveness.
The nut butter / nutella spread can be made with as little as a fraction of a gram for doubters.

H

hawkman

for example if using the magic butter machine they/you have to de-carb the pot before you put it in the butter machine.
Shawnery! know what you mean - if using a crock pot put on high (you need a temp of 180-200 degrees to de-carb)(use thermo)( start off with adding 4-5 cup hot water , that you bolied over the stove, this saves time) after about a hr - put on medium/low for at least 2hr s' some "cook" for hrs.; really not needed

2toughtony

2toughtony

I get that but I've read posts of many people decarbing for fat based edibles. That's what I was confused about. I thought I was missing something again.
Its a necessity in making eddies either way your decarbing . if you just mix cold butter and hash lets say then you bake with it. Your decarbing when baking

gwheels

gwheels

I run my butter machine with 1 oz per cup of coconuit oil at 180 for 8 hours.

Would it be stronger if i did a decarb in the oven?

S

Simplicio

I run my butter machine with 1 oz per cup of coconuit oil at 180 for 8 hours.

Would it be stronger if i did a decarb in the oven?

Air decarb makes stronger oil, according to BadKittySmiles
https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/activating-thc-in-oil.1157154/page-2
Here's an excerpt:
"You don't want to take hours decarbing in oil, because you're going to wind up with a lot more CBN and a lot less THCby the time you're done, than if you'd instead decarbed quickly, beforehand!"

gwheels

gwheels

The article is talking about quick extraction from hash into coconut oil. A slow cooker at 180 or so over hours should decarb i think?

I did not notice any difference between decarbed in the oven weed then magical butter machine and the machine itself but i run it a long time.

S

Simplicio

The article is talking about quick extraction from hash into coconut oil. A slow cooker at 180 or so over hours should decarb i think?

I did not notice any difference between decarbed in the oven weed then magical butter machine and the machine itself but i run it a long time.

BKS refers to decarbing in oil vs decarbing in air.
I don't think it matters whether it's concentrate or herb, because they decarb the same.

FrenchOG

FrenchOG

Last time I made cookies I threw a half ounce of grass and 2 sticks of butter in a crock pot, turned it on low setting for over 12 hours. I didn’t decarb my weed in the oven first and the cookies came out fine. My recipe is good af (what people say) if anyone want it HMU. Or maybe I’ll add it on here later if I remember (probably not)

S

Simplicio

Last time I made cookies I threw a half ounce of grass and 2 sticks of butter in a crock pot, turned it on low setting for over 12 hours. I didn’t decarb my weed in the oven first and the cookies came out fine. My recipe is good af (what people say) if anyone want it HMU. Or maybe I’ll add it on here later if I remember (probably not)

Crockpots eventually decarb, just not very well, because as they decarb, they also destroy thc.

Here's a much more potent recipe, based on BrassNwood's method, that is very popular on the Grass City forums:

This will make a batch of 30 cookies of about 40 mg thc each:
(1) Decarb 7.5 g herb @ 240 F for 40 min. This is crucial, so use a verifying thermometer.
(2) Grind to fine powder.
(3) Combine herb, 3 to 7 g lecithin liquid (exact amount immaterial), and the recipe oil (which can be any amount) into a heatable/freezable container.
(4) Quickly pre-heat mixture to 220 F on a stove top, then bake at that temp for 20 min.
(5) Freeze the mixture for a couple hours or so, then thaw.
This method leaves out the BrassNwood's second heating, which is assumed to be done during the cookie baking process. Otherwise it's pretty much the same.

Whole herb does bother some stomachs, but using it is much more potent than using strained oils.
Depending on cookie size there might be slight herb taste.

A quicker edible can be made using nut butter or nutella to create "firecracker spread," but it might not taste very good:
(1) Decarb any amount of herb , even 1/2 gram, @ 240 F for 40 min.
(3) Combine the herb, roughly an equal amount of lecithin, and at least 16 grams nutella/nut butter for each gram herb used, in a heatable/freezable container.
(4) Quickly pre-heat mixture to 220 F on a stove top, then bake at that temp for 20 min.
(6) Pre-heat and bake again @ 220 F for 20 min.

If cannacaps are wanted instead, a similar procedure can be used with any oil. I prefer oils that are liquid at room temp. Any multiple or fraction of the recipe will work.
(1) Decarb 7 g herb @ 240 F for 40 min.
(3) Combine herb, 7 g lecithin liquid, and 30 g oil into a heatable/freezable container.
(4) Quickly pre-heat mixture to 220 F, then bake at that temp for 20 min.
(6) Repeat step (4). This mixture will fill 56 size 00 capsules with a bit less than 20 mg thc each.
I sometimes use a food dehydrator and this method to make small batches of same day as harvest edibles to check on potency.

The bottom line is that after an accurate decarb (I use Ardent Nova/Lift), the herb is as potent as it will ever be, but it won't be very digestible, so it's less effective than it could be.
The lecithin, heating(s), and freezing are intended to make it more digestible without degrading much thc.

Each gram of good 15% thc herb used will supply about 150 mg thc to the finished product.

gwheels

gwheels

I have since changed my tune. I decarbed a couple of batches at 240 for 1 hour and then used the magical butter machine to make a VG tincture and coconut oil.

Both were much stronger than before. Very very nice. I think it alters the feeling of the edible too.

In all fairness i finally started using sunflower lethicin as well. The two have made everything about the edibles better.

VG tastes like shit but it mixes with coffee. A very different onset and buzz no doubt about it.

My 1 tablespon coconut oil brownies (fryes cocoa powder on the box recipe sub coconut oil for butter and cut batch in 16). They are devastating to many. I love them.

I cant feel my arthritis...or my hands. :D

I will decarb and then use the MGBM from now on. It works better.

H

hawkman

I have since changed my tune. I decarbed a couple of batches at 240 for 1 hour and then used the magical butter machine to make a VG tincture and coconut oil.

Both were much stronger than before. Very very nice. I think it alters the feeling of the edible too.

In all fairness i finally started using sunflower lethicin as well. The two have made everything about the edibles better.

VG tastes like shit but it mixes with coffee. A very different onset and buzz no doubt about it.

My 1 tablespon coconut oil brownies (fryes cocoa powder on the box recipe sub coconut oil for butter and cut batch in 16). They are devastating to many. I love them.

I cant feel my arthritis...or my hands. :D

I will decarb and then use the MGBM from now on. It works better.
too much work - like to crock it and forget it !!! Glad you process works Peace

W

Wrathoftejus

What ive noticed when doing butter in the crock pot. I can not decarb and do 12 hours in crock pot and its potent. But i could also decarb the material than get away with only 3 or 4 hours in the butter and get potent budder. My guess is the longer crock pot method will leave you with more cbn which will result in a sleepier high, not a bad thing all the time.

H

hawkman

for decar. you need to reach the temp of 200 degrees for a specific time which is determined in the amount of product for 1 oz go 200 for 1 hr then 3 hrs at a low - many times I boil water first and them in crock pot at high

Top Bottom