Why The Hate For Cheap Leds?

• Thread starter OldManRiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

So, I got a 300W HiGrow LED from Amazon this spring. I used it to sprout seedlings, growing them to about 10 inches underneath it, before moving them outside. The seedlings did well, with good color, growth, and no stretching. This was on the veg setting of the light. This light cost me $89.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this light: https://www.amazon.com/HIGROW-Optical-Spectrum-Greenhouse-Hydroponic/dp/B01HYUO9VY for a closet grow over the winter. It'll be a one or two plant DWC SCROG setup. It's about $159.

I have seen a lot of discussion here that poo-poos the cheaper lights available on Amazon, such as the one above. I am trying to reconcile that with the dozens of five star reviews on Amazon. Can someone explain why these lights are hated here, yet loved by their purchasers? Who is wrong, and why?

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Cheap leds = small nugs
You need a light with good par/umol output to grow big cola buds indoors. A diy white cree CoB led will get better results than the pink lights.
The pics in the Amazon reviews seem to disagree. There are plenty of people posting bud pics that are just fine. The COB setups are more than twice the money for a kit. I'm not wanting to grow lbs; I just want a 3 x 3 SCROG light.

It is interesting to me that I don't see any poo-poo-ers saying, " I bought this, and..."

Itsnotmine

Itsnotmine

I use 3 cheap 1200w leds and seem to do ok if you look at some of the pics i have put up you will see(i tryed to put a link up dont cant lol)

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

The pics in the Amazon reviews seem to disagree. There are plenty of people posting bud pics that are just fine. The COB setups are more than twice the money for a kit. I'm not wanting to grow lbs; I just want a 3 x 3 SCROG light.

It is interesting to me that I don't see any poo-poo-ers saying, " I bought this, and..."

People that shit on these lights aren't doing it for a hobby or for personal smoke. Farmers want the newest and best tech to grow the most pounds. But if an old man rivers wants to grow a little pot over the winter, any one of those lights will grow you some good pot. Way better than cfls.

fatawa

fatawa

wat happens wen u do wanna grow more?id buy a light thats better then just the situation this yr...so wen u want to grow bigger u already hav the light.u can get a 1000hps dimmable/digital for same price yur talking.and u can run it on 400w till u want more trees...

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

wat happens wen u do wanna grow more?id buy a light thats better then just the situation this yr...so wen u want to grow bigger u already hav the light.u can get a 1000hps dimmable/digital for same price yur talking.and u can run it on 400w till u want more trees...
Well, I'm never gonna want to grow bigger. In the summer, I grow weight out in the yard. I'm getting the smaller light to grow other strains for fun over the winter. Here are the girls, I have no need for a poundage grow indoors. I only grow for personal use.

TheGirls7 21 17
fatawa

fatawa

Well, I'm never gonna want to grow bigger. In the summer, I grow weight out in the yard. I'm getting the smaller light to grow other strains for fun over the winter. Here are the girls, I have no need for a poundage grow indoors. I only grow for personal use.
we will c....lol.as u already kno this is an addicting hobby..yur already going from outdoor to committing to indoor....everybody wants more.thats y each person is on here.if yur still on here nxt yr lets c if yur response is same..indoor is waayyy more addicting.i grow plants that big indoors

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

we will c....lol.as u already kno this is an addicting hobby..yur already going from outdoor to committing to indoor....everybody wants more.thats y each person is on here.if yur still on here nxt yr lets c if yur response is same..indoor is waayyy more addicting.i grow plants that big indoors
I've grown plants that big indoors as well, but I don't need to or want to anymore. Like I said, I only grow for smoke. But you're right, it -is- an addicting hobby. I may have been doing it longer than you've been alive. ;-)

And you haven't grown one bigger than my big one inside, unless you've got ten foot ceilings. She's seven feet and growing. :-)

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I've grown plants that big indoors as well, but I don't need to or want to anymore. Like I said, I only grow for smoke. But you're right, it -is- an addicting hobby. I may have been doing it longer than you've been alive. ;-)

And you haven't grown one bigger than my big one inside, unless you've got ten foot ceilings. She's seven feet and growing. That pic is a couple weeks old.
:)

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

And you haven't grown one bigger than my big one inside, unless you've got ten foot ceilings. She's seven feet and growing. :)
Got Pics???:)

fatawa

fatawa

And you haven't grown one bigger than my big one inside, unless you've got ten foot ceilings. She's seven feet and growing
wheres this bitch at?
There's one above from a week or so ago. She's six foot in that pic.
wat pic we talking bout brother?the outdoors?i thought we was talking bout 6ft's indoor..cant really compare any indoor light to the sun.6ft outdoor is normal n my opinion.no offense they look healthy n i can tell u aint a noob.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

wheres this bitch at?
wat pic we talking bout brother?the outdoors?i thought we was talking bout 6ft's indoor..cant really compare any indoor light to the sun.6ft outdoor is normal n my opinion.no offense they look healthy n i can tell u aint a noob.
I agree. My plants are healthy, but not remarkable. The strains are good, and the smoke should be tasty, and that's what I care about.

It's nothing to grow a six foot plant indoors, either. Just takes headroom and money for lights, and is kind of pointless.

fatawa

fatawa

I rock only hid lights n i kno you aint hitting 7ft with the led u named.unless shes 7ft from heat issues stretching tall n lanky...show me that pic n ill show u mine thats scroggd 5×8 and 4ft tall.only one plant w/2k lighting on her

fatawa

fatawa

It's nothing to grow a six foot plant indoors, either. Just takes headroom and money for lights, and is kind of pointless.
i agree.hope u didnt take my comments as confrontational.cuz i meant no disrespect brother.nice outdoor and i cant wait to c what u do this winter.

fatawa

fatawa

By the way if u do hav any questions once indoors def start a thread.im a dwc guy so ill at least follow along.but dwc is my realm n its the best way to grow(imo)

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I rock only hid lights n i kno you aint hitting 7ft with the led u named.unless shes 7ft from heat issues stretching tall n lanky...show me that pic n ill show u mine thats scroggd 5×8 and 4ft tall.only one plant w/2k lighting on her
No, when I grew big plants indoors, it was a mix of MH and HPS. But that was a while back. Now, I'm just a personal use grower.

I agree, that LED ain't growing 6 ft plants. But that's not what I'm trying to do. My goal is to set up a rotating SCROG grow to allow me to try out a variety of strains for smokability. I'll be posting a gro diary as soon as the seeds come. First two strains are Chem Dawg and Green Crack.

fatawa

fatawa

No, when I grew big plants indoors, it was a mix of MH and HPS. But that was a while back. Now, I'm just a personal use grower.

I agree, that LED ain't growing 6 ft plants. But that's not what I'm trying to do. My goal is to set up a rotating SCROG grow to allow me to try out a variety of strains for smokability. I'll be posting a gro diary as soon as the seeds come. First two strains are Chem Dawg and Green Crack.
sounds like a solid plan.yur setting out to do wat i do.i also use aero for s.o.g. cause im commercial grower but scrog/dwc is my favorite and what i excel out.i will check it wen u start it

Top Bottom