Why The Hate For Cheap Leds?

• Thread starter OldManRiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BombBP

BombBP

I've grown under the purple lights. Built a nice one.

2017 02 17 034158
2017 02 17 034158
2017 02 17 033942

Then I started reading about cobs and, like you, I didn't want to spend tons of money and be disappointed. So, I bought some cheap citizen clu048 chips, a cheap active heatsink, a couple of passive heatsinks and a cheap Chinese driver and made these.

2017 11 11 170754
2017 11 11 170652
IMG 2504 noexif
IMG 2505 noexif
IMG 2509 noexif
IMG 2517 noexif

Now, there's seriously no comparison in the purple lights and the COBs. I'm even driving the COBs at half the power, using a cheap driver and the growth is seriously ridiculous. I did decide to order a better driver after seeing how well they grow. I think you'd love the cobs if you like the purple lights. Now, I've only vegged under the cobs but damn they make for happy plants.

These are under a 400w MH and 90w of COBs in a 4x4 tent.

2017 11 28 173236

Oh yea, I took the lenses off the one light.

2017 11 27 215813 noexif

JakeyBakey

JakeyBakey

I use pink led panels. Marshydro.
No Ac, or any cooling, ever.
In one spot, I Run 3 tents (lights,fans,everything) off 1- 20amp circuit.
As we speak I have one 4x4 with a blue widow clone @4.5 wks - has one 275 true watt panel above it.
Had the panel for 2 years now - 7 harvests (soon to be 8)
The only thing I owe this panel is a hardy Thank-you!! And if it broke tomorrow, Id go buy the same F'N panel for $130
20171129 205523

20171126 132621

JakeyBakey

JakeyBakey

I do have some cobs though too. 13 citizen chips - $400 kit and a bad ass grid for hanging.
with 2 drivers, clips, reflectors,and heatsinks.
All inside a tote in my garage.
Why? Cuz im not an electrician and dont want to even Chance of killin myself or anyone else hooking it up, or having a fire. So im cruisin' with the pinks and they work just fine.

MW7945

MW7945

I do have some cobs though too. 13 citizen chips - $400 kit and a bad ass grid for hanging.
Why? Cuz im not an electrician and dont want to even Chance of killin myself or anyone else hooking it up, or having a fire. So im cruisin' with the pinks and they work just fine.

Feel free to send that my way if it's too challenging for you

BombBP

BombBP

Need help drop me a pm. Easy as hooking up a playstation/xbox.

Feel free to send that my way if it's too challenging for you

What he said!

BombBP

BombBP

Citizen clu048 driven softly at 680ma by a cheap dimmable chinese driver. Cost around $25 for all of the components. Now I'd get my best efficiency at 1400ma but even driven at around 25% these lights are no joke.

2017 11 29 220711
IMG 2592 noexif
IMG 2591 noexif
IMG 2593 noexif

First pic is with the dim all the way down then all the way up in the second pic. Doesn't do it justice though.

2017 11 29 220830
2017 11 29 220805

sixstring

sixstring

Citizen clu048 driven softly at 680ma by a cheap dimmable chinese driver. Cost around $25 for all of the components. Now I'd get my best efficiency at 1400ma but even driven at around 25% these lights are no joke.

View attachment 761116 View attachment 761117 View attachment 761118 View attachment 761119

First pic is with the dim all the way down then all the way up in the second pic. Doesn't do it justice though.

View attachment 761120 View attachment 761121
finally figured out who the hell you are bbp haha.it didnt click until i seen that cheap ass driver again :p

DismalDude

DismalDude

Lot's of good info here,too much really.Great to see people building their own lights but not for me.I'm looking to spend some $ and from what I see so far Timber cob systems seem to be a good buy?Remember,I'm not going to build my own just looking to buy the "Right" light the first time.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Lot's of good info here,too much really.Great to see people building their own lights but not for me.I'm looking to spend some $ and from what I see so far Timber cob systems seem to be a good buy?Remember,I'm not going to build my own just looking to buy the "Right" light the first time.

Thats probably what I'll get when I do my next run. In the meantime, will be using these for the seedlings for outdoors this summer. They work great for that as well.

DismalDude

DismalDude

Thats probably what I'll get when I do my next run. In the meantime, will be using these for the seedlings for outdoors this summer. They work great for that as well.
The Fatty CS looks like it would be perfect in a 4x8 on a rail and at that price that's cheap compared to a lot of led companies.

sixstring

sixstring

I'm out plowing now but how much is the timber fatty?
Timbers a great value as well as hlg and plc.all 3 offer the perfect light for a 4x4 so double it up and you won't need a light rail.if I was going to use a rail for led I think I would use the hlg 550 just because I believe it will be quite a bit lighter weight than any cob rig with similar light output.

DismalDude

DismalDude

I'm out plowing now but how much is the timber fatty?
Timbers a great value as well as hlg and plc.all 3 offer the perfect light for a 4x4 so double it up and you won't need a light rail.if I was going to use a rail for led I think I would use the hlg 550 just because I believe it will be quite a bit lighter weight than any cob rig with similar light output.
the fatty cs is their most expensive at $1600-1700 using 12 Cree CXB3590 COB LEDs

DismalDude

DismalDude

the fatty cs is their most expensive at $1600-1700 using 12 Cree CXB3590 COB LEDs
appreciate the response man,sorry to be typing so broken,spent weekend in er with flu and lung infection.Better now still loopy.At least I'm on the right path,I hate when I buy the wrong things. I used mars hydro last grow and it was my best smoke yet.I'm sold on led,just want the right setup. ;)

sixstring

sixstring

You will like those fixtures.if it was me I would get the 3000k veros,and make sure ya have some shades on when ya fire em up.first thing you'll want to do is look at those cobs and it's bright haha. :cool:

km1

km1

So, I got a 300W HiGrow LED from Amazon this spring. I used it to sprout seedlings, growing them to about 10 inches underneath it, before moving them outside. The seedlings did well, with good color, growth, and no stretching. This was on the veg setting of the light. This light cost me $89.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this light: https://www.amazon.com/HIGROW-Optical-Spectrum-Greenhouse-Hydroponic/dp/B01HYUO9VY for a closet grow over the winter. It'll be a one or two plant DWC SCROG setup. It's about $159.

I have seen a lot of discussion here that poo-poos the cheaper lights available on Amazon, such as the one above. I am trying to reconcile that with the dozens of five star reviews on Amazon. Can someone explain why these lights are hated here, yet loved by their purchasers? Who is wrong, and why?

simply because most all of us have gone the cheap led route and regretted it..

well after we got something a lot better....

i have grown decent herb under my old burples..but not even close to what i am doing now by going a little bit further..

if you enjoy em and have not bought what we have to see the differerence then you

then why do you feel you have to make this "hater" post..we know the difference..if you do not..then thats your problem..we are mostly coming from HID land to leds..ifn one is coming from zero light land to burples..its possible to be impressed..
can you see someone making a "hater thread" about web speed dial up compared to even dsl..

so many people are impressed they can use email and web searches at 24 kilobaud

why is everyone saying it sux compared to high speed..when the people who use it are [almost]happy?

all the best the people here are trying to help..don't take it personal
..and btw..nice looking grow !

Last edited:
Top Bottom