Grabbed these this morning:

Garden1

Garden2

Garden3

Garden4

Garden5

Garden6

The Aloe-
Over 10 years went by before this aloe flowered. This is it's 7th season of flowering and every year, like clockwork, the stalks shoot up and gain most of their height in Nov, show a few bracts flowering on Thanksgiving, and are at their peak between Christmas and mid Jan. By Feb, the flowers have dried or dropped. The flowerless stalks add a nice We like the architectural look of the bare stalks and leave them on until Spring.

The Daffodils, (Narcissus)
It's not uncommon in my area to occasionally see a couple of spring bulbs pop through and have a 2nd flowering period at this time of year, but never a show like this. I don't think it's a coincidence that this is one of the spots in my garden where I was testing out my home brewed ferments this past spring/summer.

convex

convex

It will be May before the Daffy-Dills show their heads 'round here again - sigh ...

Cheers

Mogrow

Mogrow

you're a lucky dog ganjagardener// spring flowers on shortest day of year// great aloe also// you look as though u have the green thumb..
thanks for the shots// it pretty much brown around here..

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I wish I could beam you all over.
Shoot. I didn't mean to do the wintertime, "Look folks. I'm in California. Don't you wish you were here?" routine- didn't even cross my mind, but now I can see where it could come off that way. That being said, I wake up everyday w/ an appreciation for the climate I live in which is exceptional by any standards including Californian. The marine layer here, combined w/ the geological layout buffers the high and low temps- we're in a micro-climate within a Mediterranean zone that does, in fact, have the least amount of high-low temperature variance in the US. This is why my grow room climates can be controlled year round w/o AC, heaters, or cooling tubes. On the other hand, the tap water here- 8.5 pH and 300+ppm, burns out RO filters like nobody's business.

I was born in California and have lived here continuously for the past 30 yrs but spent my teens, 20's and early 30's in New England, Chicago and Colorado so I know cold and snow. What I miss this time of year are the walks on starlit nights, the chill burning the nose and the crunch of ice and snow underfoot. I also miss the distinct Spring (halter top) and Autumn seasons. Is there anyone in the house w/ a re-animator that's down for swapping locations for a couple of weeks?

:very_first_smiley:​

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Gotcha

Live in Indiana, hasn't been too cold this winter yet but I'm sure its coming. I've also had my aloe for about 10 years she goes out in the summer and is inside know. What do you feed your aloe? She's beautiful mine is only a big bunch of branches. Take care, hope all is well with you and yours

mal

Mogrow

Mogrow

its all good double G man////
love my 4 seasons
looking forward to the days getting longer
i got the fever to cultivate
already been scouting

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

its all good double G man////
love my 4 seasons
looking forward to the days getting longer
i got the fever to cultivate
already been scouting
I've been a happy camper in shitty weather and have had trouble living inside my skin on a beautiful day in a perfect setting. Go figure. lol

Rock on brother. My picture taking mojo has been coming back lately so I just wanted to warn you and the other shutterbugs around here that I might be hanging around this board... now that I've discovered it. Just a word of caution. :party0033: LOL

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

never seen aloe flower before, beautiful
it was blue sky here by seattle for the solstice but not much in flower other then some viola's
anyhow, nice pic's

fwiw

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Hey everyone...big THANKS for the kind words.

mal- this aloe and the daffodils got fed a home brewed, high P ferment this year, but usually it only gets a couple of light, balanced feedings in the Spring and early Autumn. They don't need a lot- after they take, they can grow for years just from the nutes in a good cactus mix. The biggest problem when taking them indoors is lack of circulation and overwatering. They've got stores and can survive w/o water for several months. They can bounce back after shriveling up. Overwatering bring out the pathogens.

Incidentally, the rose blush on the aloe *leaves* is the result of a salt air. climate. (psst it also the reason some of my purps go Avatar, but don't tell anyone.) The blades would be glaucus blue-green if grown inland. Same coral flowers, though.

Wobly- i've been in Seattle when the blue sky comes out after storms and it is spectacular. Pike Market, the Oysters, the omnipresent cups of Joe. I love Seattle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom