Wiring Problems...

• Thread starter bakin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bakin

hey all. so im moving into a new house in about a month so i was hoping to figure this problem out before i move. well my grow rooms(veg 8'x8'; bud 7'x25') are going to be in the basement. but the basement isnt completely wired. there are a few outlets in place but im running 4 400w hps plus all my fans, pumps and flourescents i cant run it all off the few outlets in place(from what i understand) the basement is unfinished as well. i have had some slight wiring experience but im a little intimidated by doing this all by myself and the estimate for the wiring was really expensive. do any of you have suggestions on what to do? maybe even throw out a run down on what id have to do to power everything. thanks everyone..peace.

hiboy

hiboy

Bakin,

What matters first would kinda be your amperage draw. If you plan on a/c from that location, and how many lights.
Most likely without getting too technical, i'm watchin the Greenbay Altlanta game, 100 amps for a small sub panel is most likely ok .(add up your amps and you might be able to go smaller=cheaper) Wire size #1, enclosed in metal conduit that would run to your main. Hopefully thats a larger won, chainging the main isn't cheap. From your new sub panel you can get busy with all your wiring of equipment.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
bakin, get another estimate. you don't wanna burn the house down.

Papa

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Maybe you can find an electrician that will work with you. If you can get your wire and run it. Set things up for him it could be a lot cheaper. I had one that would come look over what I did and hook it up. Less time = less money.

7' x 25' for Bud room with just 4 400s ?

fred

brd

brd

First off how many amps is your service. You can tell by looking for a baker that is separate from all the rest it will most likely be 100 or 150 if your lucky. Then how much space if any do you have left in the panel.

S

spiderman

utilize 220v whenever possible. 220v reduce amp draw by 50% compare to 110v.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

bakin, get another estimate. you don't wanna burn the house down.

Papa

Word. Don't burn the new house down!

First, figure out all of your amperage for the devices that you will have down there. Then add 25% more to the number (extra headroom, and future expansion). Call up a licensed electrician, and tell him you need a sub panel installed in the basement for your home machine shop or what ever. Then, if you are electrically inclined, you can do the circuits off of that. Otherwise, just pay up again to have that done if you are not skilled in that department.

Four 400's sounds surprisingly small for such a large space.

-TF

hiboy

hiboy

word up on the 400. Get some ocho 1000's in there and rock it. You could put some 3x6 trays lined up in the middle. If ya got the skill you can turn that up with a uc system. Straight shot right in the middle.:anim_09:

lazarus718

lazarus718

If all you're looking to run is a small current draw, then check your main panel box and see if you have any open spaces on your breaker board. I'm guessing all of your pumps and everything are set-up for 120V so all you need is one open space in your panel for a circuit that will be large enough for what you are doing as long as you don't have a heater or AC that you plan on running off of that same line. If you do then you will need more than one circuit and a lot of space heaters require a 240 line with two hots and a neutral. If you just have that light and your hydro pumps then you should be ok to run with a 20 amp breaker and 12 gauge wire. ~Peace

B

bakin

thanks guys and well im only filling half the room 2 4x8 flood tables im gonna expand later on which explains such few lights. how much does a sub panel and wiring run if anyone knows? and how would i find the amperage on everything online...havent bought everything yet :(

hiboy

hiboy

Bakin,
Material speaking for the sub panel isnt that bad. Home Deeps got em around$ 50-75 bucks, and you'll need maybe 75 bucks in breakers. Wire is the most expense. It depends on the length of ya run to the main.
For an idea of amperage, add up watts. An a/c will take a dedicated circuit, depending on what your going with. If it gets cold you might need a dedicated circuit for a heater. Your misc. small equipment will need a dedicated circuit. Most of these are 20 ampers. Your lights will need a 30 amp 240v with a little room for expansion.

Top Bottom