Wishbone’s Outdoor - Round 2

• Thread starter Wishbone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I collect it in bags and then do branches for th strains I want to cross. Stuff the head of the branch you want in the bag and shake it around (carefully).
Captured some
Male flowers as well
F42A09F3 0BFB 453D AD7B 2C9F9E03C4BD

Wishbone

Wishbone

Great.

I would take them lower if your letting them grow through the netting. Where they're at it looks like they'll hit the top again before harvest. Unless your adjusting and threading them every day.

So, I had to go at that height for a few reasons, the primary was that I couldn’t bend them any further down anyway, the stalks are too stiff and the tomato cage put some serious strain on them that I was not comfortable going any further than where they ended up. The other factor was the GH supports, I could have rigged something with some rope or twine, but it sits really well at this height, very taut from end to end. I will have to keep after them until they are done stretching, making the most of my space.

This has really been an eye opener for my grow, have lots of things to think about for next year, primarily less plants and better use of the space. I’m thinking 6 plants and scrogging with plenty of topping early on to get them wider and shorter. I got a bit too gung-ho with trying to get bigger plants than last year, which was easily achieved, and didn’t really think out how I was going to manage them with a 6’6” height restriction. Honestly I didn’t expect them to get this tall lol.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I collect it in bags and then do branches for th strains I want to cross. Stuff the head of the branch you want in the bag and shake it around (carefully).
Captured some
Male flowers as well
View attachment 823041

Nice! I harvested the Stardawg male a few days ago, got a decent amount of pollen off the two foilys under the “buds”. In a bag for now, I’ll post up when I pollinate, going to do one of each of the strains, Stardawg x Stardawg, Stardawg x TW/Purp, Stargdawg x 9#/GSC. Hopefully gets some interesting genetics.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

So, I had to go at that height for a few reasons, the primary was that I couldn’t bend them any further down anyway, the stalks are too stiff and the tomato cage put some serious strain on them that I was not comfortable going any further than where they ended up. The other factor was the GH supports, I could have rigged something with some rope or twine, but it sits really well at this height, very taut from end to end. I will have to keep after them until they are done stretching, making the most of my space.

This has really been an eye opener for my grow, have lots of things to think about for next year, primarily less plants and better use of the space. I’m thinking 6 plants and scrogging with plenty of topping early on to get them wider and shorter. I got a bit too gung-ho with trying to get bigger plants than last year, which was easily achieved, and didn’t really think out how I was going to manage them with a 6’6” height restriction. Honestly I didn’t expect them to get this tall lol.

Same here. Every year I'm learning so much more. In had to give up my shade cloth this year because I didn't anticipate their sise and I didn't think they'd get so burnt when they pushed against it. Last year the tops of the biggest colas just touched the cloth. It was perfect.

You could add height to your greenhouse with a wooden frame or blocks underneath then skirt it with visqueen or blackout cloth.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I had to chop another plant a few days ago, which is a bummer as it was one of my favorite looking plant, I think this girl, um dude, was a Mob Boss and was showing some awesome Sativa genetics that were really appealing, very skinny 9 and 11 finger leafs, and short compact build. He took way longer than all the other to show his junk, which I think is even more indicative of the Sativa genetics. Bummer. I don’t have the space to flower him out unfortunately, so just chopped him instead of harvesting his genetics.

FAAC0CA9 475D 4DAD AF80 9F778C275EEA
F136AF32 9619 48B7 A274 143B99E0C939

Wishbone

Wishbone

Same here. Every year I'm learning so much more. In had to give up my shade cloth this year because I didn't anticipate their sise and I didn't think they'd get so burnt when they pushed against it. Last year the tops of the biggest colas just touched the cloth. It was perfect.

You could add height to your greenhouse with a wooden frame or blocks underneath then skirt it with visqueen or blackout cloth.

So much fun learning about l this plant and dialing your grow, I love it.

That’s a good idea, I’ll think about that when setting it up next year.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Other changes I’ve made in the past week, other than moving them around every day trying to get the best use of the space, is the ventilation system seen in the scrog pic. Added a 750 cfm hurricane fan with a speed adjuster, have an 8” Can-Filter 800 cfm carbon filter on order that will get strapped to the beam at the peak of the GH. Hoping to keep my smell more in check this year and not piss off the neighbors. Also added a lock, so should now be 100% in compliance with the law should I get a house call from the 5-0.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Other changes I’ve made in the past week, other than moving them around every day trying to get the best use of the space, is the ventilation system seen in the scrog pic. Added a 750 cfm hurricane fan with a speed adjuster, have an 8” Can-Filter 800 cfm carbon filter on order that will get strapped to the beam at the peak of the GH. Hoping to keep my smell more in check this year and not piss off the neighbors. Also added a lock, so should now be 100% in compliance with the law should I get a house call from the 5-0.

That's right. I totally missed the obvious. Looks like a proper system.

Wishbone

Wishbone

That's right. I totally missed the obvious. Looks like a proper system.

It’s working very well on the temps, I experimented for an afternoon after closing the sides and doors up I was getting a 20 deg rise from ambient within 30 min or so. With the fan running I’m within 10 deg at the peak heat of the day and more often 5 or less. Very happy with this addition.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

It’s working very well on the temps, I experimented for an afternoon after closing the sides and doors up I was getting a 20 deg rise from ambient within 30 min or so. With the fan running I’m within 10 deg at the peak heat of the day and more often 5 or less. Very happy with this addition.

That's a sweet set up. Something I still need to buy for my grow tent. Haven't set it up again yet because of the heat and lacking a system to keep it cool like yours. (I won't need the carbon filtration. Neighbor's are used to that skunky goodness around here.)

Last edited:
Wishbone

Wishbone

It’s a jungle in here now, having trouble accessing the plants lol. All strains are in flower, and still stretching, the stunted 9# is doing its damnedest to catch up to its sisters, put on close to 2 feet in the past two weeks.

2 weeks ago below the top of the cage.
6299BC9D B4C9 4B7E 972C 9A1748F45B4F

Today 24” above the cage.
6658BBE8 329C 4942 B143 2B042BCD9A7A

The jungle.

038FB993 6B06 4D2A BC60 CBBF08B18BC8

Blueberry.

44B37DDF A49D 4B59 B526 711DDFA23FD5

TW
5477E1AB 2888 479B B197 4A73BE21B9CF

3F41F4B2 A881 4A06 BFA6 99428878A273

9#
C5BCE573 3B20 49FD A64F 50229D85232A

Wishbone

Wishbone

Unfortunately broke one of the main tops off the Stardawg trying to bend it into the trellis. Tried repairing her with duct tape but it didn’t take.

2C724FE3 7EA8 4738 A76E F540E7D15D71

The little girl in the tomatoes is chugging along, I really like this plant for some reason, fun little experiment.

1FD3AF03 62CB 40B9 B4F5 0BC67792CB7A

Found a catapiller in the tomatoes too, going to hit them with a round of Jacks and azamax to keep all pests at bay around the garden.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Happy to see you get that 9# turned around. It's amazing seeing the difference in your garden from just a few weeks ago. You've done very well.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Happy to see you get that 9# turned around. It's amazing seeing the difference in your garden from just a few weeks ago. You've done very well.

Thanks man, once the temps dropped everything really took off. That stunted one really surprised me, looked at it again this afternoon, probably more like 30” in 2 weeks, growing like a weed lol.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Thanks man, once the temps dropped everything really took off. That stunted one really surprised me, looked at it again this afternoon, probably more like 30” in 2 weeks, growing like a weed lol.

Now, I'm the one with nutrient issues. Hopefully mine will get sorted out in a day or so. The big plants present new challenges that are hard to diagnose. I'm thinking Tiger Bloom will sort it out. It worked great on 8' plants last year but they were locally bred Kush not strong Sativa leaners from Spain. This should ready me for growing Durban Poison the next time I order beans. I've sourced them in Cali so I'll have the advantage of them being genetically acclimated through local breeding like the Kush.

Last edited:
Wishbone

Wishbone

Now, I'm the one with nutrient issues. Hopefully mine will get sorted out in a day or so. The big plants present new challenges that are hard to diagnose. I'm thinking Tiger Bloom will sort it out. It worked great on 8' plants last year but they were locally bred Kush not strong Sativa leaners from Spain. This should ready me for growing Durban Poison the next time I order beans. I've sourced them in Cali so I'll have the advantage of them being genetically acclimated through local breeding like the Kush.

Always something right? I think you mentioned thinking about going with a no till next year, I have been super impressed with this method of cultivation so far. Clearly the real validation will come at harvest, but adding everything at the start of the grow and a just add water approach has been much easier, and cheaper, than the bottle grow I did last year.

Other than a few transplant stunts, which could have been caused by a variety of factors besides soil/nutrients, the plants have performed absolutely better than I could have asked for on my second grow and first crack at a no till. Again, the proof will be in the pudding, but I’m a big fan so far.

Last edited:
Wishbone

Wishbone

Awesome gh grow man im setting up for next years outdoor all autos.. looking forward to seeing your finished fruits all the best mate...

Thanks Kenny, I’m interested in doing outdoor autos in the spring before my photos get too big, which ones are you planning on running?

kenny28

kenny28

Not sure yet im doing a big bud auto and a black sugar rose auto now both at week 5 from seed ill pop some pics up soon I like the sound of the blackberry gum just sounds delicious see how these turn out I may grow them again im thinking of using two car tires as the pots for next years outdoor n my own compost nothing special just garden waste I will amend it before planting sorry for going on n on lol

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Not sure yet im doing a big bud auto and a black sugar rose auto now both at week 5 from seed ill pop some pics up soon I like the sound of the blackberry gum just sounds delicious see how these turn out I may grow them again im thinking of using two car tires as the pots for next years outdoor n my own compost nothing special just garden waste I will amend it before planting sorry for going on n on lol

Have you used tires before? I've never seen anyone else do that. I know the type of pots I use are important because of how they effect root tips, ie smartpots air prune root tips causing them to branch and fill the pot while still allowing water to seep out. What about toxins from the treated rubber? I think there might be creosote in tires that could be released into the soil, not sure though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom