Yellow New Growth After Tea Yesterday

• Thread starter whocares
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

whocares

I just got to using the caps root and foliar in a tea. I used the sticky to make the tea. 2 days ago we topped the plants and i made the tea. yesterday we applied the tea (2 1/2 cups per 6 gallons of water) along with the usual feeding of vegamatrix. also we foliared yesterday with hard n quick.

today super bright colored new growth.

Yellow new growth after tea yesterday
Yellow new growth after tea yesterday 2
Yellow new growth after tea yesterday 3
straincreation

straincreation

Yup bennies is a game changer. I think its cool the first time people use caps and see such vigorous growtg and are perplexed by the results.

Lookin good
happy farmin;)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I just got to using the caps root and foliar in a tea. I used the sticky to make the tea. 2 days ago we topped the plants and i made the tea. yesterday we applied the tea (2 1/2 cups per 6 gallons of water) along with the usual feeding of vegamatrix. also we foliared yesterday with hard n quick.

today super bright colored new growth.
I see a Mg-, very easily corrected, and that new growth does look a bit deficient to me, and I'd wanna hit it with some Fe and easily mobilized N just to be sure that's not the issue.

Many folks don't realize that when they're just beginning to use beneficial microbes some weird things can happen, such as deficiencies that didn't previously occur. This is because those nutrient minerals that were previously being directly taken up by the plant are now first being taken up by microbes. It is when they shit or die that the minerals again become available to the plant. In fact, I sometimes force fading by giving a big dose of molasses, as this causes a bacterial bloom that fixes N, thus causing the fade I'm after. Let it go longer than 2 weeks and they'll release that N again, though, so it can be a fine line, a tricky dance.

W

whocares

I see a Mg-, very easily corrected, and that new growth does look a bit deficient to me, and I'd wanna hit it with some Fe and easily mobilized N just to be sure that's not the issue.

Many folks don't realize that when they're just beginning to use beneficial microbes some weird things can happen, such as deficiencies that didn't previously occur. This is because those nutrient minerals that were previously being directly taken up by the plant are now first being taken up by microbes. It is when they shit or die that the minerals again become available to the plant. In fact, I sometimes force fading by giving a big dose of molasses, as this causes a bacterial bloom that fixes N, thus causing the fade I'm after. Let it go longer than 2 weeks and they'll release that N again, though, so it can be a fine line, a tricky dance.

The MG- your talking about is the few striped lower leaves correct? Extra calmag last week seemed to fix that issue. The new growth does seem super super yellow. I was thinking maybe an iron defeciency. I added extra micro (amp-it) yesterday. Double checked the ph was 6.0 for the nutrients i was adding.

I tested the runoff which i know i know isnt an exact science in coco but it was 1600ppm (2.9ec i think) and 7.5 ph.

So i ran a gallon thru each pot (2ish gallon pots) but dont really see any changes today

IMG 0425
W

whocares

UPDATE: ok so i flushed plants down to 500 ppm. took about 1-1.5 gallons. the ph of the runoff read 7.1

Made 8ml grow, 4ml bloom, 5ml boost, 10ml primezyme and 2ml amp-it. ph’d to 6.0 it took about a gallon to get the runoff to match the 600ppm of the solution.

But the runoff is still testing 7.1ph

i also took 1oz of coco and 2.5oz of ro water and after 20 minutes it tested 7.3

Pimp T

Pimp T

@whocares if your using vegamatrix and organic soil only I wouldn't worry about runoff ph or ppms. Runoff ph and ppms isnt really an accurate representation anyway. I use happy frog and vegamatrix and have never once used a ph pen and have ZERO problems of deficiencies. I also use the recommended vegamatrix feed chart

W

whocares

@whocares if your using vegamatrix and organic soil only I wouldn't worry about runoff ph or ppms. Runoff ph and ppms isnt really an accurate representation anyway. I use happy frog and vegamatrix and have never once used a ph pen and have ZERO problems of deficiencies. I also use the recommended vegamatrix feed chart

No offense but how can that info help me? The plants are obviously seeing a deficiency because of the high ppm high ph combo

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
UPDATE: ok so i flushed plants down to 500 ppm. took about 1-1.5 gallons. the ph of the runoff read 7.1

Made 8ml grow, 4ml bloom, 5ml boost, 10ml primezyme and 2ml amp-it. ph’d to 6.0 it took about a gallon to get the runoff to match the 600ppm of the solution.

But the runoff is still testing 7.1ph

i also took 1oz of coco and 2.5oz of ro water and after 20 minutes it tested 7.3
Something is in the root zone that's pushing pH back up. How does your RO water test out (if you already posted that, I apologize, I'm a bit scattered this morning)?
No offense but how can that info help me? The plants are obviously seeing a deficiency because of the high ppm high ph combo
Organic molecules cannot be accurately measured by ppm/TDS. These are simply conversions of the original measurement, in microSeimens, of electrical conductivity. In order to be measured by this method, it must be conductive. I would take heed of Pimp T's advice here.

For the Mg-, I would not be using Cal-Mag, I would be using a Ca-only product in conjunction with, or alternating with MgSO4 (which gives you a nice boost of S, which leads to stinky terpenes and such). Both can be given as a foliar application, but in coir the Ca really needs special attention. I have found a minimun 4:1 ratio to be best, 6:1 is even better. For a foliar application of MgSO4 use 1/4tsp/gal water + sticker-spreader.

Myco

Myco

Errm...

Cold temps, especially cold night temps can cause those lime green/yellow growth tips.

Just a thought.

Thedank23

Thedank23

Might be a total shot in the dark but my brain is telling me you haven't added anything to your coco to buffer.. am I incorrect in assuming this?

While I have no experience in coco I would say that 24 hrs of light with girls that size might be a bit much and could be magnifying your lockout a bit? Looks like your flushing is knockin down the pH but may take a little longer to get em in range, patience is the name of the game.

Seamaiden is totally right about the Mg-, looks like when you hit em with the tea they wanted to explode but there wasn't enough mag there for em so things got funky. Maybe beef em up w/ Mg next time you brew up a tea?

Curious to see how this came out

W

whocares

Might be a total shot in the dark but my brain is telling me you haven't added anything to your coco to buffer.. am I incorrect in assuming this?

While I have no experience in coco I would say that 24 hrs of light with girls that size might be a bit much and could be magnifying your lockout a bit? Looks like your flushing is knockin down the pH but may take a little longer to get em in range, patience is the name of the game.

Seamaiden is totally right about the Mg-, looks like when you hit em with the tea they wanted to explode but there wasn't enough mag there for em so things got funky. Maybe beef em up w/ Mg next time you brew up a tea?

Curious to see how this came out

Got most of them back in line. But a couple still look to be hurting pretty bad :( Whats wierd is when we flushed we got all of the plants runoff under 300ppm and the ph under 6.4. Some are climbing back up to 7.5 really quickly... which leaves me stumped.

Ive noticed a couple moms like to preflower so ive been keeping the light on 24/7 to try to prevent that. Ill try to upload some pics here shortly.

Thedank23

Thedank23

:confused:Huh.... I'm stumped..

Do they still throw pre-flowers at 20/4? That'll give em a little rest..

Sea was right, something is pushing your pH in the root zone, and causing the Mg lockout. Now that you've isolated the problem, its time to start figuring out whats causing it. Did you switch to new coco, Was it washed, did you wash it yourself down to a low pH? How old is your RO, maybe its time for a new filter, as RO units usually help to stabalize the pH right?

My money is on your coco not being buffered or washed properly.

Hope this helps

:)

W

whocares

What are you using for lighting HPS bulbs or DE bulbs?

4 1000 mh horitlux super blue and 2 600 mh hortilux super blue.

I do rinse the coco but to be honest we not talking about plants that are new to the medium. They have been in their coco pots for atleast 6 weeks.

I think the issue is the vegamatrix line. Its our first go around with it and it seems the calmag and amp it bottles can be a bit tricky. Im thinking it could having to do with a high concentration of their foliar (whoops) along with pretty heavy strength micronutrients.

I upped the calmag and completly dropped out the amp-it (micros) for a few days and things are looking much better.

W

whocares

:confused:Huh.... I'm stumped..

Do they still throw pre-flowers at 20/4? That'll give em a little rest..

Sea was right, something is pushing your pH in the root zone, and causing the Mg lockout. Now that you've isolated the problem, its time to start figuring out whats causing it. Did you switch to new coco, Was it washed, did you wash it yourself down to a low pH? How old is your RO, maybe its time for a new filter, as RO units usually help to stabalize the pH right?

My money is on your coco not being buffered or washed properly.

Hope this helps

:)

the r.o filters are regularly changed. I wouldnt necessarily say an r.o. helps to stabalize the ph exactly. Really what they do is completly strip the water down till there basically nothing but water. So no buffers, minerals, pharmicuticals, etc. Literally nothing but water. my tap is around 9 ph and the ro water is also around 9 ph. Its really crazy to try and ph ro water. a drop or 2 of ph down will shoot the ph way down to around 4. but once you add a little calmag+ its just like phing tap water.

we use it to clean up the crap water here. high levels of chloramines and junk.

Plants do not like plain r.o. water. that causes all kinds of issues because the water is so pure it basically pulls minerals and nutrients from the plants. (it is great if say you overfed and need to flush or even just go a day with straight ro water.

So what you do is:
1. add something like calmag+ at 2ml per gallon to simulate the levels of minerals found in something like spring water when you water your plants

2. always run a little extra calmag when you feed your plants.

3. if growing in coco add a little more to make up for the water being so pure and the coco taking it up. Youll definitially be running on the higher side of the recommended dose of calmag.

W

whocares

Have you tried folair feeding with a little epsom salt?

I havent. We did a nice little flush and then supplemented extra calmag. Which seemed to do the trick for 95% of the plants. still got a couple troublemakers so maybe ill try that :) thanks

Top Bottom