You Have 60k To Work With, You Want The Highest Yielding/quickest Turning Setup. Whats Your Method?

• Thread starter joenuggry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joenuggry

Ok so heres the deal...A buddy of mine has a fair amount of money saved up and is looking to do a decent sized indoor grow with the budget he has (decent)...He has around 60k to work with...He's been looking around his area and believes he can secure a relatively smaller sized commercial space for about 40k..Why commercial? He has concerns about raising red flags running utilities too high in a residential scenario...as far as commercial goes, there is no standard amount of utility use, so you really cant raise much alarm as far as I know when its a zoned commercial space...Anyways that leaves him with about 20k to work with to get his grow setup...His goal is to be yielding as high quantity as possible as quickly as possible, which is a pretty common goal for a grower I believe...He is looking to clear anywhere from 10 to 20 lbs about every two months...(realize that gap is very large but wants 10 minimum to make it worth the efforts however would go larger if it made sense depending on equipment and space necessary) The time frame is also not necessarily strict but that would be his goal if it was possible (Factor to consider: He has a good clone connect, so that should play a role with speeding up the time frame I believe, as opposed to starting from seeds)

Anyways if this was your goal, what would your method be in terms of setup, lights, and space necessary, and amount of plants...Any positive input/advice is much appreciated
If your only aim is to criticize without offering advice please don't bother responding
Thanks!

DGP

DGP

The highest yielding system I know of is hydro and of the hydro systems it seems to me that undercurrent is the best at least at this time. The are some that say aereoponic or fogponics is higher yielding yet and they may be right but the systems are fragile and easily fail if not constantly monitored. CMH for a light source for a large grow would probably be a pretty good choice for yield but LED would be better in my opinion but it is certainly more expensive. Although the cost is down to about $1 per watt if you fabricate them yourselves.

I would be more concerned about your collective growing experience and what could go wrong. If you guys have limited experience I would be concerned, if your experienced and have dialed in your processes I wouldn't be as concerned but there are still lots of risks. Here in Oregon I have seen a number of projects very much like your describing fail after only a few runs. Your going to need at least 10K watts of lighting if not 20k watts. Also, gonna need a fairly involved cloning and veg area.

I have a little over 3 years experience but was a lighting engineer (high powered LED systems) and even now people around my area ask me to garden for them and I feel hesitant to do it because I worry I would fail and hurt someones investment. There is so much to learn. I guess it depends on how comfortable he is risking those funds. I am just now approaching a gram a watt and a commercial grow needs to exceed that.

BTW, I am running a undercurrent system I designed and built and this is my 3rd cycle with it and my biggest yield is in trim this week, well see how I did. I also am using all LED lighting that I custom designed for my medical grow. Love the process of raising these plants but it isn't as easy as some folks think:)

Best wishes in your endeavor,

Dee

J

joenuggry

Your input is much appreciated...Say he took your advise and went with 20k of lighting to be on safe side of things...How many plants would you suggest for that amount of lighting...And given that estimate if that is your estimate for 20, would it be safe to assume half of that in 10k scenerio?

DGP

DGP

Well, most strains have a predicted yield and a lot of them are about 450 grams to the square meter. So, that is about a pound a sq meter (but that is ideal for a lot of strains) so you can figure out the area you need to get you bi-monthly totals. The other thing to consider is it isn't about plant count but canopy size and good canopy management. How long you veg and how often you want to turn things will also be based on veg room capacity. However, I grow 8 plants in a 4X5 flower room right now and that is a little over populated but I flip them after only 4-5 weeks from rooted clone. But again strain dependent in my case.

For a big grow I would also recommend staying away from all the cannabis nutrient hype. Just to expensive buying liquid nutrients. I would go with Jack's professional hydro, Jack's Calcium Nitrate and epsom salts for magnesium. Use 3grams hydro, 2 grams Calnit and 1 gram epsom per gallon. Then I dilute to if needed to get the ppm I need because at that 3-2-1 mix per gallon it comes out about 1000ppm. Way more affordable than all the hype stuff. When I see products like Mega this or blows your shit up that or giant bud this I run the other way. Its mostly hype although I am hearing good things about Mega grow dry nutrients (a lot like Jack's cost wise). I bought 2 years worth of nutes (Jack's) for $135 for my grow that would have costed $400-600 in liquid nutes.

You will find there is pain associated with the electric bill and the nutrient bill and that's why I went LED and dry nutes. Also, Current Culture Undercurrent systems are great but freakin expensive. An 8 site system can be several thousand dollars and I built the same damn thing myself for around $300. A larger grow like yours you could drop a lot on lighting and hydro equipment.

Yu said you have a clone source, so what strain are you considering?

I hope some more experienced growers chime in so I can also see some other opinions.

Dee

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

So basically if the building is 40k, then just have 20k leftover? Might be able to afford an 12 banger, with lighting, ac, soil, nutes, co2, miscellaneous. I would go DE like the place I work for, skylights help with yield, that is about all I got.
20180421 140518

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Quit hating give the guy some advice Or at least don’t comment Trash boy.
Who said hating? You need to smoke better weed. I think knowing what the building has ie. Electric and water supplies and dimensions is an influence on how to spend the rest.
You can do 2 pounds a light easy so 10 lights will make a flower room.

Last edited:
O

Organicking

Lol trust me I’m smoking better shit then u buddy.(but that’s not the point) People join THCFARMER to gain, obtain, and share knowledge. Some of you older folks ruin it for the people actually trying to learn stuff. You guys should give each other your phone numbers and talk all that bs in private. Truth hurts but somebody had to say it.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Lol trust me I’m smoking better shit then u buddy.(but that’s not the point) People join THCFARMER to gain, obtain, and share knowledge. Some of you older folks ruin it for the people actually trying to learn stuff. You guys should give each other your phone numbers and talk all that bs in private. Truth hurts but somebody had to say it.
The king has spoketh!!!

J

joenuggry

Well, most strains have a predicted yield and a lot of them are about 450 grams to the square meter. So, that is about a pound a sq meter (but that is ideal for a lot of strains) so you can figure out the area you need to get you bi-monthly totals. The other thing to consider is it isn't about plant count but canopy size and good canopy management. How long you veg and how often you want to turn things will also be based on veg room capacity. However, I grow 8 plants in a 4X5 flower room right now and that is a little over populated but I flip them after only 4-5 weeks from rooted clone. But again strain dependent in my case.

For a big grow I would also recommend staying away from all the cannabis nutrient hype. Just to expensive buying liquid nutrients. I would go with Jack's professional hydro, Jack's Calcium Nitrate and epsom salts for magnesium. Use 3grams hydro, 2 grams Calnit and 1 gram epsom per gallon. Then I dilute to if needed to get the ppm I need because at that 3-2-1 mix per gallon it comes out about 1000ppm. Way more affordable than all the hype stuff. When I see products like Mega this or blows your shit up that or giant bud this I run the other way. Its mostly hype although I am hearing good things about Mega grow dry nutrients (a lot like Jack's cost wise). I bought 2 years worth of nutes (Jack's) for $135 for my grow that would have costed $400-600 in liquid nutes.

You will find there is pain associated with the electric bill and the nutrient bill and that's why I went LED and dry nutes. Also, Current Culture Undercurrent systems are great but freakin expensive. An 8 site system can be several thousand dollars and I built the same damn thing myself for around $300. A larger grow like yours you could drop a lot on lighting and hydro equipment.

Yu said you have a clone source, so what strain are you considering?

I hope some more experienced growers chime in so I can also see some other opinions.

Dee

Ok so say I have four of these 10x10 tents:

That's two for veg two for flower...By my calculations thats 200sqft of space for each phase..which is the equivalent of 18.5 square meters, which equates to 18.5 pounds...
200sqft= 18.5sqmt= 8,325 grams = 297 ounces= 18.5 pounds
That'd be a pretty damn good number to hit bi monthly...
My question is with that amount of square ft how many watts/which brand light would you go with specifically for best bet on that yield goal...I know you said between 10k and 20k watts but wondering if you might be able to narrow down a but given the specifics on the setup..Thanks again for all advice

Toaster79

Toaster79

Ok so say I have four of these 10x10 tents:

That's two for veg two for flower...By my calculations thats 200sqft of space for each phase..which is the equivalent of 18.5 square meters, which equates to 18.5 pounds...
200sqft= 18.5sqmt= 8,325 grams = 297 ounces= 18.5 pounds
That'd be a pretty damn good number to hit bi monthly...
My question is with that amount of square ft how many watts/which brand light would you go with specifically for best bet on that yield goal...I know you said between 10k and 20k watts but wondering if you might be able to narrow down a but given the specifics on the setup..Thanks again for all advice

You guys ever grown a plant?

DGP

DGP

Mr. GT21 has more experience than I do but he said you could get by with 10 lights. I am assuming that is 10 lights for flower. What you do in veg doesn't need as much light generally.

However, his question about your experience level is also one I asked earlier and it is super critical.

Anyway, having said that, When I design lights I go for 50-60W per sq. foot. so you have 100 sq. feet in each tent so that would be 5K per tent. However, it then depends on the type of light and how to divide the power and light distribution up over that 10 X 10 floor. I have never built a flower room that big so if I was doing it I would be more comfortable using COBs and just building 4 fixtures that had a 50w COB spaced every 12" but that could be quite costly. On the other hand 12-15 CMH fixtures per tent would be pretty spendy too.

I will yield to more experienced folks here.

Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom