Some of you have shown an interest in my grow cabinet, and a few have asked me to do a thread on how I built it, what materials I used, etc.
So here's how I did it, and hopefully I can give someone some ideas.

The first thing thing I did was to go to Home Depot, looking for a suitable material. I ran across this stuff called "Thrifty White Tileboard". It comes in a 4'X8' sheet, and cost about $10. It's generally used for tub/shower surrounds, is waterproof (on the white side) and it looked good. So I bought it, along with assorted hinges, angle braces, screws, washers, etc. I purchased some 2"X2"X8' and .75" X .75"X 8 feet long lumber also. I saw some pre-cut plywood squares, conveniently sized 2 feet on each side, so I grabbed a few of those, too.

So I got this stuff home & used my SkilSaw, cutting the tileboard into 4- 2'X4' pieces. I cut the 2"X2" lumber into pieces of the proper lengths, and I framed it all up into a box that is 2 feet wide on each side, and 4 feet tall, open on one side, and with the white side to the inside of the box. I used the remaining piece of tileboard and the .75"X.75" lumber, and I made the door, and attached it with some 2" hinges. I used small "L" shaped angle braces on the corners to make everything nice and sturdy. I also caulked all the cracks & crevices with regular white caulk, to close any light leaks.

So now it was time to make the roof of the box, and for some reason I thought that it might be cool if it could open up on hinges, so I could peek down inside from the top. I dunno why, but I did it like that. LOL

Next came the lighting. I had planned to use CFL bulbs for this, so I went back to Home Depot, and in the electrical department I found some surface-mount light sockets, and some of those "Y" socket splitters that enable you to use 2 bulbs in one light socket. So I grabbed 3 of each. I went over to the hardware section and I grabbed some 3" L brackets to mount the light sockets to, and I found some 100w equivalent Daylight spectrum CFL bulbs. I grabbed all of this and threw it in my cart.

While I was there, it dawned on me that I would need to be able to raise my lights as the plants grew taller, and so I needed a solution... I decided to mount my light sockets to a piece of plywood, and make that board height-adjustable. So, I grabbed about 20 feet of small "jack chain" (about 20 cents per foot) and some small "S" hooks and screw-in "eye" bolts. I already had some electrical wire at home, so I didn't need to buy that.

So, once back at the Ponderosa, I went to work designing my CFL light board. I put an eye bolt in the center of each wall in the top 2x2 cross member, and I had a piece of 1/4" thick plywood, so I cut that to size that would fit freely inside, and I put the same eye hooks in the center of each side of that, near the edge. This is what I'll mount my CFLs to. I hung the little S-hooks in the top eye hooks, then I cut my jack chain to 4 identical lengths. 32" in this case. I hung this on the S-hooks from the top of the cabinet frame.

Then I mounted my light fixtures to the board using L-brackets and some wood screws, and wired them up using 14-2 Romex wire.

Then I hung the light board in the cabinet from the jack chain, and gave the light fixtures a little test run!

Now I didn't want my cabinet to be like an EasyBake oven with all those bulbs, so I needed to install some kind of ventilation.

I saw these 4" inline duct booster fans at Home Depot, about $25, so I bought one. I bought a 4" starter collar, a 4" duct 90 degree elbow, and some 4" dryer vent hose.

I used a Dremel tool with a circle cutting attachment to make a nice round hole & I attached the starter collar using some sheet rock screws. Then I attached the 90 degree elbow,and sealed all the joints with duct tape. (What do you think they make it for? LOL)

I put the inline duct fan on the other side of the 90 elbow (making sure the direction of air flow was correct) & wired it up with a cord I stole off an old power drill I had laying around, and then I put the dryer vent hose on the other end, and ran it out to it's final destination (in this case, to my dryer vent!)

I cut some small holes in the bottom on one side of the cabinet for passive intake, but found that these weren't allowing enough air in to keep the temps where I wanted them, so I bought a few small PC fans, and I attached them to the outside of the cabinet to help suck in more air. They worked fine & dandy. I didn't take pictures of this step, but they can be seen in this picture:

That's how I built my cabinet. Hope you've enjoyed the show, and gotten some ideas! Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Peace!
Author
logic
Views
95
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from logic

Top