1. Decarboxalating Tincture And 2.

• Thread starter Byros
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Byros

1. I'm making a tincture, using food grade alcohol extraction. I know that my herb material needs to decarboxolate before it is effectively converted to THC from THCA. My question is this- Can't that occur to the resin in the tincture when the excess alcohol is boiled out? When i go to reduce the amount of alcohol in the tincture, if I heat it past 140* F. for 5 minutes, isn't that enough to decarboxolate the THCA resin in the tincture into THC ??? Would save that time and eliminate decarboxolating the herb in the oven up front. Yes? No? Thanks.

2. Another question would be how to get rid of contimants in outdoor grown weed. Can I give the buds a good bath immediately upon cutting the branches and before letting them dry? It's a very small space we have to grow outdoors (no space indoors). There's a tree too close to these my grow spot but there's nothing I can do (except really wacking the tree, which we did today). But, I can't believe how much crap gets in those buds. I believe washing them after they dry would be a really bad idea. But, what about spraying them down right after clipping and just before hanging to dry? Thanks everyone.

Natural

Natural

1) Hard to know how decarb'd your staring materials are and apply them to a sliding scale..the best thing to do is that you wanna put your tinc in a hot oil bath suspended up off the heat source via a metal lid or similar..this will keep the heat consistent and controllable...candy thermometer comes in handy. Increase heat to reach 250*F...you will get large co2 bubbles (this is decarboxylation) it's finished when the bubbles become tiny and slow to nothing. Also, if you place a couple of wooden skewers in the oil it will help bubbles to start forming.
2) I've never done this, I have seen Jorge show people how to submerge and clean pm off buds using water spiked with h202, it'a on youtube. IMHO any tree droppings will get filtered out via coffee filter after your first strain through during the alcohol wash.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Decarboxylation graph 1 11

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

B

Byros

1) Hard to know how decarb'd your staring materials are and apply them to a sliding scale..the best thing to do is that you wanna put your tinc in a hot oil bath suspended up off the heat source via a metal lid or similar..this will keep the heat consistent and controllable...candy thermometer comes in handy. Increase heat to reach 250*F...you will get large co2 bubbles (this is decarboxylation) it's finished when the bubbles become tiny and slow to nothing. Also, if you place a couple of wooden skewers in the oil it will help bubbles to start forming.
2) I've never done this, I have seen Jorge show people how to submerge and clean pm off buds using water spiked with h202, it'a on youtube. IMHO any tree droppings will get filtered out via coffee filter after your first strain through during the alcohol wash.
Thanks. What it is is that I have a jar of alcohol extracted tincture that never got decarboxylated. If I evap the alcohol out of that tincture, heating it at over 140* (the conversion temp for THCA to THC) but not more than 225* (the evap point for THC) then it still get's decarboxylated . . . kind of after the fact, yes? Thanks for the tip on the candy thermometer. I'm sure it mo betah than the meat thermometer that I'm using now. lol.
And, I checked out Jorge on Youtube and his website but haven't watched his video yet. Another great resource. Thanks.

Natural

Natural

operating at lower temps than 250 for a predestined time frame will leave guesswork for complete conversion. You'll end up with a partially or over decarb'd solution. THCA has it's benefits but it will lack in the buzz dept. For tinctures you want fully decarb'd oil at the risk of losing some terps. if it's terpy you want..you can do low temp purges and make oil for smoking. The best indicator for tincs is the CO2 bubbles..more heady if you remove from heat right as bubbles near end, and more sedation if you push the time past the end of bubbling. Lots of golden info on skunkpharm..graywolf is a master of his arts.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

heating it at over 140* (the conversion temp for THCA to THC) but not more than 225* (the evap point for THC) then it still get's decarboxylated .

You are muddling centigrade and fahrenheit.
Best to label them with a C. or an F.
The chart shows both.
And a laser thermometer will run you ~$8 on ebay. :)

Aloha,
Weeze

B

Byros

Thanks everyone. There is a lot to this. I'm enjoying the education about my favorite plant. It's good to know that washing outdoor grown buds right after they are first cut is a good thing, especially if one plans to ingest it. I had to learn it by experience. It's too bad because it was some decent herb in terms of potency. It's so dirty that I don't think I should even make bubble hash with it. More tinkichas and oil. Very first chat/forum where anyone has even responded to me. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Top Bottom