1 Flower Chamber, 2 Spectrums - How would *you* use 'em?

• Thread starter Boylobster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Boylobster

Boylobster

Just thought I'd see if anyone has any opinions they'd like to throw at this...

In my flowering chamber, I'm running two 600w Lumatek digital ballasts (and they are *money*, but that's beside the point) on light rails. When my clone cycle is in full swing, my plan is to stagger monthly harvests by putting the first generation under one light, then shifting them over for the younger ladies.

Right now, I've got one MH bulb and one HPS bulb, and I'm thinking that I'll give the youngest plants their first month under the blue MH bulb to reduce stretch, then let them finish under the red HPS when the next batch takes their place.

Does that sound sensible? What would y'all do with the same equipment? Feel free to be creative, this is really just to see some different ideas come forward... since the ballasts can run either type of bulb, there's plenty of flexibility. Anyone? Here's your chance to play with someone else's gear!

Oh yah, will be growin' some hydro, some coco, and using CO2 as well. Whee!

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
Thats what I'm doing now just under 2 x 600HPS and cycle plants thru every 4 weeks

mace

mace

Well if you're going to stick with those lights and aren't planning on adding extra then i would say you have the right idea.
When all is said and done you should probably be expecting to get 300 grams a month running your setup in such a way. Very nice indeed.

Also, just to note MH bulbs don't reduce stretch. The greater amount of blue in the light actually helps build stronger stems/plant material and will give you more stretch than vegging with a HPS light. That said MH is looked at as better for veg than HPS so i wouldn't change a thing.

*edit*
Oh and one last thing, 600 watts is a ton of light for clones. How many plants are you keeping going in your veg room, you may be a bit overkill if it's a small number and might want to buy a 250 watt and use your other 600 for flower...

Boylobster

Boylobster

! Like lightning, as always... I'm starting to get a feel for your MO, Zoo. ;) I don't want to sound dirty, but.... you ever tried it with two spectrums? Hmmmmm? :D

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
No I've just ran HPS for years , with the right strains you should get a pound per harvest or close to it . I'm trying 16 clones in 1 gallon pots put in at 12 inches to see how close I can get to 1 oz per plant , The ones that stretch a bit more get supercroped .

Boylobster

Boylobster

Whoops, sorry mace, you posted whilst I was typing. No clones involved - the setup describes my flowering chamber only. Sorry if wasn't clear on that. Funny you should mention the 250w, 'cause that's exactly what I do use for my clones and mothers! :)

Blue spectrum doesn't reduce stretch, you say? Huh... I've read quite a bit claiming otherwise... popular myth, you think? I've never tried to flower under MH lights, but a buddy has the same clonestock as myself flowering under a 1000w MH, and his plants, buds and internodes definitely seem more compact. Different rooms, different nutes, etc., however.

Boylobster

Boylobster

Word up, Zoo. I've seen your pics, and if I can be done, I dare say you'll do it. :)

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
I am with Zoo on this one. Not sure of your tent size but I do exactly what you are planning on a 4' x 7' platform. I have 2 1000w switchable systems suspeneded over this platform, one uses a dual spectrum (60%HPS, 40%MH) for the first thirty days then switch to HPS for the last thirty days. I harvest one garden a month on a 60 day genetic line. One lb a month is a very obtainable goal. Theres a journal here that shows the system.

jj

Boylobster

Boylobster

Found your grow diary jj, and that's a well-constructed setup. Props. Y'know, in the past, I've gotten 15oz harvests out of the single 600w HPS, so I know that with two of 'em, I should be able to obtain that or better monthly. Unfortunately (or not, depending on your perspective, I 'spose), I believe the strain I was working with previously was astonishingly forgiving of the Flora Nova line I've been using, as well as the haphazard feeding schedule. Spider mites took them from me... *sniff* ...and I know that the new genetics I'm working with are quality - I've seen the product of their clone sisters - but they seem to have very different requirements.

You can see some of the troubles here

and here:

...if you're interested. You can also probably see from those threads that the fallen strain (R.I.P. ;() has allowed me to develop some very bad habits. :thinking

S

Silica

Heres a bit of debate-

Basically some growers believe the extra UVb IN mh bulbs produce more thc.
So they dont use hps bulbs at all.

Havent tried it yet myself but thinking about adding a mh bulb into the flower room and a bit extra room

Boylobster

Boylobster

Yah, I've just been reading about that as well. What's-His-Butt from High Times magazine has an article that claims the same. I could see it; there are distinct differences between my buddy's grow and my own when we're using the same genetics - and he flowers under MH.

I'm still interested in mace's comment about MH *not* reducing stretch... 'cause that's one of the principle reasons I'd like to do the first half of the flowering cycle under blue light. Anyone else have experience with this?

D

drpressure600

moving rail . .

Just thought I'd see if anyone has any opinions they'd like to throw at this...

In my flowering chamber, I'm running two 600w Lumatek digital ballasts (and they are *money*, but that's beside the point) on light rails. When my clone cycle is in full swing, my plan is to stagger monthly harvests by putting the first generation under one light, then shifting them over for the younger ladies.

hi, could you explain to me please what you think of them moving rails, do they save much money, also would you recommend them to be into a decent size grow room, say 4m x 4m, i wanted to try 1 ages ago but was warned off, but other peeps l8ly say their great . . thanks ok . .

Boylobster

Boylobster

Warned off? Hm. Why? IMHO the light rails provide a number of excellent advantages. With a moving light, your plants are less prone to uneven growth and bending; that is, their phototropism is less pronounced. That, at least, I can definitely attest to.

Because the light changes position, you also get more coverage that breaks through the top canopy, though how much practical benefit you'll derive from that... who knows? I don't have any objective data, unfortunately...

Lastly, moving lights can be placed closer to the plants than could a static system, as the light moves on before heat stress becomes an issue. Thus, you should be able to boost your efficiency, in theory; you can have more plants which will, though the light isn't directly above them constantly, harvest the same amount of energy as a smaller number of plants placed farther from the light source.

....that's the theory, at least. :) So yah, I give 'em my :yes. I've been happy with the "Light Rail 3.5" systems, which I believe are made by Hydrofarm... or somebody. :itwasntme

Hope that helps!

D

drpressure600

ok . .

i'm gona get one soon & try it out, thanks . .

Top Bottom