1" x 1" welded wire caging have too small holes?

• Thread starter Hanta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hanta

Hanta

All I have is 1" x 1" fencing and always see people using 1" x 2" and was wondering about the drawbacks of them using 1" x 1". What are the reasons that 1" x 1" would be bad? I'm thinking it may hold branches down that are growing up and will eventually snap them.

1 x 1 welded wire caging have too small holes
mancorn

mancorn

That seems really small to me. I use the 6" remesh that comes in a 7'x 3.5' sheet. (Comes in rolls also.) I cut the sheet in half which gives me 2, 3.5' height and 13" diameter and cost around $8. You need to put the cage up early (as it's impossible once the plant is larger) and only enough support for a 5-6' plant. Think you can see them in the front plants.

Better pic of remesh

Last edited:
Hanta

Hanta

That seems really small to me. I use the 6" remesh that comes in a 7'x 3.5' sheet. (Comes in rolls also.) I cut the sheet in half which gives me 2, 3.5' height and 13" diameter and cost around $8. You need to put the cage up early (as it's impossible once the plant is larger) and only enough support for a 5-6' plant. Think you can see them in the front plants.
View attachment 878656

Better pic of remesh
View attachment 878660
Yea I want to do something like this just wondering if I can use what I got so I dont have to spend money all I'm wondering. 1"x1" is definitely small. Prob worth to just buy proper caging hey?

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

View attachment 878656

Better pic of remesh
View attachment 878660
Pretty weeds you got there....growing 😉

BudBogart

BudBogart

I use 4x6 holes so I can put my hands through to trim, etc. 1x1 seems way too small. I just upgraded from 2x4 holes.
You’re not trying to keep the branches caged in, rather the cage to support the branches and spread the canopy.

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Actually full disclosure, I was just too lazy to run out and take a shot, and used a pic from last year (I think around August). I'm not that bushy at the moment, but wanted to show what it can support.
Well. Ok ...you had....some pretty weed. Lol.its all good
Happy growing

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I use 4x6 holes so I can put my hands through to trim, etc. 1x1 seems way too small. I just upgraded from 2x4 holes.
You’re not trying to keep the branches caged in, rather the cage to support the branches and spread the canopy.
i agree,the 4x6 is hard to work with too,couldnt imagine how hard it be 1x1,but if that all you got that all you got,later on when plant matures a bit,you can always cut hole in it,probally cut them arms up pretty bad though

Top Bottom