Misc water and air pumps = 5 amps at 120 volt
1/2 HP Water chiller = 4.5 amps at 120 volt

Any suggestions, corrections, or ideas?

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
Heya Noone88,
lets see thats almost 95 amps total so i'd have to say your pushing it a bit. Its a good idea to leave about 20% cushion, so for 100 amp service running 80 amps would be ideal.
Im assuming you have not hooked all this up and you are just in the planning stage. I would suggest you rethink how many lights to run or perhaps upgrade to 200 amp service.

N

noone88

It's already set up. I'm trying to find out if i'm missing anything or if my math is wrong.

The dehumidifier is only on during night cycle. I'm thinking about adding in a swamp cooler (which pulls a lot less wattage/amps) to help increase humidity and lower temps a bit.

S

SSHZ

I agree with Farmer Jon- you're using to much for a 100 amp service and I don't see any air cooling going on, which you'll need with that many lights. Ballasts initially use more amps when the light is turned on (maybe 12-13 amps) until the gas inside is heated up and then drops down so initially you'll be over-using so be on the look out for burnt plugs or buring wires, etc., etc. Sorry for the negetivity but "you're an accident waiting to happen!!!!!!

Z

zoeronerer

i think yer fine homey ...... i have pushed things harder ...dont crank it forever but you should be fine ... watch everything close .... my elec boys said most 100 amp service could handle double so yer ok man not to code but ok.... crank it..........

N

noone88

All new wiring and fuses from the panel. 100 amp service works for 3 ton minisplits, vertical lighting non-aircooled. I haven't tripped a breaker; I wanted to make sure i'm not forgetting anything.

I made a few changes: I ran 600's on all the sides and one end of the room. On the other end, I setup 3x1000 and filled up the space with krusty buckets. Still below the safe harbor limits.

200 amp service is the next setup. 2x5 ton AC's 15kx2 flip flop!

M

mcattak

I agree with Farmer Jon- you're using to much for a 100 amp service and I don't see any air cooling going on, which you'll need with that many lights. Ballasts initially use more amps when the light is turned on (maybe 12-13 amps) until the gas inside is heated up and then drops down so initially you'll be over-using so be on the look out for burnt plugs or buring wires, etc., etc. Sorry for the negetivity but "you're an accident waiting to happen!!!!!!

3 ton minisplit (30 amp fuse) sounds like air cooling

M

mcattak

200 amp service is the next setup. 2x5 ton AC's 15kx2 flip flop!

You know you can get a dampener for that 5 ton and essentially flip flop the air con..Then you get 2 1 ton a/c's for each room to not only give the extra btu's during lights on but you have a 1 ton running full time during the dark cycle(because its going to run harder than a 5 ton during the dark cycle you get more de-humidification)

Just a thought...Oh and looks like you got everything on that 100 amp that you need..Cutting it pretty close on those amps but you know that already..

N

noone88

[/B]

You know you can get a dampener for that 5 ton and essentially flip flop the air con..Then you get 2 1 ton a/c's for each room to not only give the extra btu's during lights on but you have a 1 ton running full time during the dark cycle(because its going to run harder than a 5 ton during the dark cycle you get more de-humidification)

Just a thought...Oh and looks like you got everything on that 100 amp that you need..Cutting it pretty close on those amps but you know that already..

Yea that idea came to me a bit later. I saw that excelair has motorized dampers to allow a 5 ton to cool 2 separate rooms.

I have no experience with using AC compressors/handlers so that's my only hesitation. Plus i've never handled that many watts in one area. Baby steps, of course..

Lastly, I sourced a lot of equipment (pumps, dehumidifers, and water chillers) using 220/240volt. That should help ease the load on the panel.

M

mcattak

Yea that idea came to me a bit later. I saw that excelair has motorized dampers to allow a 5 ton to cool 2 separate rooms.

I have no experience with using AC compressors/handlers so that's my only hesitation. Plus i've never handled that many watts in one area. Baby steps, of course..

Lastly, I sourced a lot of equipment (pumps, dehumidifers, and water chillers) using 220/240volt. That should help ease the load on the panel.

Thats what I use those 5 ton excels...Austin has some good info...

Olyver

Olyver

A three-phase 100A service has 3 hot legs, L1, L2, and L3. Each is capable of supplying 100A. If you go with the 80% rule, you can draw about 30KW. Depending on the 120V and 240V loads, the 3 legs need to be balanced. From what you've totalled for your demand loads, looks like about 22KW, you'll be fine.

N

noone88

A three-phase 100A service has 3 hot legs, L1, L2, and L3. Each is capable of supplying 100A. If you go with the 80% rule, you can draw about 30KW. Depending on the 120V and 240V loads, the 3 legs need to be balanced. From what you've totalled for your demand loads, looks like about 22KW, you'll be fine.

Thanks Olyver, my electrician tried to explain it to me, but it went way past my head.

If a 3 phase has 3 hots legs, does that mean equipment wired at 220/240 use 2 legs and equipment at 120v use one hot leg?

Thanks ahead of time!

Olyver

Olyver

That's exactly it. Try an balance the 220/240 loads; L1&L2, L2&L3, L3&L1. Then all the 120V loads you be balanced. If you use L1 and L2 times and L3 is used twice, then the next way to balance is to have a 120V load on L3. If you have three more 120V circuits, then L1, L2, and L3 can each have a 120V load.

N

noone88

That's exactly it. Try an balance the 220/240 loads; L1&L2, L2&L3, L3&L1. Then all the 120V loads you be balanced. If you use L1 and L2 times and L3 is used twice, then the next way to balance is to have a 120V load on L3. If you have three more 120V circuits, then L1, L2, and L3 can each have a 120V load.

Thanks, I appreciate your response and all of your other posts!

D

DrGoodMeds

So does that mean that essentially you could draw 80 amps (80% rule) from each leg at 120V for a total of 240 amps???

D

DoubleDub

my elec boys said most 100 amp service could handle double so yer ok man not to code but ok.... crank it..........

Your "electricty boys" are referring to a 2 phase 120 v breaker in which case yes each phase does have 100 amps. What they mean by this is that typically a house has a 100a breaker. And usually you actually have two separate wires coming in. Each of these wires is capable of supplying 100a at 120 v. That means if your running 110 you actually have 200a before one pole or the other maxes out and flips the breaker.

If a 3 phase has 3 hots legs, does that mean equipment wired at 220/240 use 2 legs and equipment at 120v use one hot leg?

The three legs have to each be 120 for this to be true.

A three-phase 100A service has 3 hot legs, L1, L2, and L3. Each is capable of supplying 100A

This is true for some 3 phase but not all. Be Careful and read inside the breaker box. If you have a "C high leg" or a high leg or anything of the sort than that third leg is in a different voltage than 120. If such is the case you can not use this leg without the use of a transformer or equipment that runs at that voltage.

He mentioned he had a 208 volt 3 phase. I pretty sure that means L1 is 120 L2 is 120 and L3 is 208 v.

so noone88 to answer your original question, "am i maximizeing my power?"

the answer is no. If you wanted to do that you'd have to pull 100 amps of 208 and 100 amps of 240. Consider purchasing equipment that runs on 208.

Any reason why your running 220 and not 120?

A common myth is that you can run more lights with 240. That is not true. The only benefit is you can run a thinner wire to your sub panel. In the US the hassle just isn't worth it to me

J

Jalisco Kid

trees hold a lot of latent heat along with the room. My a/c runs lights out trying to cool down the room plus it helps dehumidify the room. the reason I went with the variable speed air handler. JK
Do you have a wye or delta 3 phase?

Top Bottom