Wanted 1000w de question

• Thread starter dieselgirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dieselgirl

dieselgirl

Hi everyone,

I have 5 new 1000w de lights for my 12 x 14 room. The ceilings are only 8ft. I'm worried about the light burning the plants from the recommendation of 3 ft distance from canopy to light. I have great a/c and co2. Canopy temp is 80. My questions is this..I've heard dimming the bulb too much affects spectrum. Am I able to put a 600w de bulb in the hood and run it 100% at 600w? I am skeptical about running a 1000w de dimmed to 600w because of loss of spectrum. Any info would help.

Thanks!

Mrb53

Mrb53

I ran a similar setup, 12 1000w - Cal LightWorks. I used much blue light to try and keep the girls short, SOG/SCROG with those nets is another HAVE TO!. If you watch your strains (Indica / Sativa / Hybrids), you can get by 90%. Be careful of the gene pool so you focus on shorter, squatier plants. I would NOT reduce my wattage if you want a larger crop. The loss of photons cannot be made up. I would clip the cola's that I couldn't control. You can wire them down on a horizontal plane rather then let them continue vertically. I had some burn but made tincture, moonrocks, etc. Get those trichomes off and use them. SOmetimes I would use that as infusion material for my SPECIAL PEOPLE. Watch the height of your containers and make sure your drainage doesn't make you prop the pots any higher than necessary. Not sure what you are growing in (hydro / soil / drip /dwc / etc). I wound up using rockwool and 4x4 with the flat 6x8x24 at the bottom of the container and just placed my 8" cubes right on top. Soil and similar medium may raise things up due to tall pots. Hope this helps

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah I would be SOG or SCROG. IMO thats gonna help ya the most. Can't help ya on the lighting question.

HashBucket

HashBucket

I dunno about your ballasts, but mine have settings for 600w, 750w, 1000w and 1100w.
That close, I think I'd have it set on 600 or 750 and gradually turn em up till you find the sweet spot.
Some of it will depend on the ambient temp of your room, the humidity and the strain.

The other suggestions in regards to scrogging are good ideas too.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I have never ran bulbs that big, but I have heard light movers help prevent burning right under the light while increasing coverage on the edges. Best of luck dieselgirl, sounds like you have a beast of a room.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have never ran bulbs that big, but I have heard light movers help prevent burning right under the light while increasing coverage on the edges. Best of luck dieselgirl, sounds like you have a beast of a room.
I use a 1000w hps hanging verticly with an umbrella reflector and I can keep my plants around 18 " from the light. with good airflow I also dim my 1000w to 60%, 70% & up to 110% without issues. I drop the ballast to 60% when I need to cool my room more in warmer months. It's recommended to turn down my 1000w lamp to 60% and not to put in a 600W lamp. I've turned it up to 110% to get extra life out of my lamps.

Top Bottom