10x10 grow tent Major heat issues need some opinions.

• Thread starter 8zlag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If I remember right the dual hose AC recirculate the air in the tent. The hoses bring cool air into the hot side to cool hit side then expel the hot air through the other hose. So I would assume something is wrong with the AC if you are not getting hot air out of one of the hoses. The exhaust hose should be the top hose outside so that the intake hose is not sucking in hot air making it less efficient as hot air rises.

8zlag

8zlag

It looks like I might be barking up the wrong tree if the AC units aren't pumping hot air back into the tent. What are the temps like with the lights off, compared to the temp in the garage... in other words, how much do your lights raise the temps in the tent compared to the garage temp?
Testing that out tonight I've had them on a 24hr schedule.

8zlag

8zlag

If I remember right the dual hose AC recirculate the air in the tent. The hoses bring cool air into the hot side to cool hit side then expel the hot air through the other hose. So I would assume something is wrong with the AC if you are not getting hot air out of one of the hoses. The exhaust hose should be the top hose outside so that the intake hose is not sucking in hot air making it less efficient as hot air rises.
The air is definitely very hot.

8zlag

8zlag

I’m kind of lost. How are you cooling the inside of your tent? You have the ac inside the tent or are you just cooling the air around the tent?
There's pics. The ACs are in the tent the ten is in the garage the exhaust are going outside the garage.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I’m kind of lost. How are you cooling the inside of your tent? You have the ac inside the tent or are you just cooling the air around the tent?
The AC units have 2 hoses for giving and taking away the hot air. The heat from the AC is supposedly exhausted thru the outgoing Hot hose. That was the reason I asked if there was hot air exhaust coming from the AC unit itself and not all out of the hoses.

8zlag

8zlag

So my question is where are you getting fresh air from? If you are exchanging a lot of air from the garage to the tent the AC will not keep up in the tent until the garage is cooled
Dual hose system, one brings in fresh air and the other takes out the hot air. One intake and one outtake.

stonestacker

stonestacker

But the unit itself should still be hot. so maybe you can move the unit out of the tent just blow the cool air in in the hot air outside.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Dual hose system, one brings in fresh air and the other takes out the hot air. One intake and one outtake.
Ok here is how I understand them to work. AC like dehumidifiers have a hot and a cold side. Both have seperate fans and are mostly sealed between side of coils hot side isolated and cold side isolated. The cold side draws air in from the room and runs through the coils to cool and straight back into the room. It does not use any air from the hoses. The hot side needs to be cooled so it brings in fresh air to the hot side from the intake hose and runs it through the hot coils and then pumps that hit air back out. So the air from the intake and out put hose come from outside and vent back outside. This is exactly how a window AC works outside air stays outside and inside air gets cooled and stays inside. No air exchange is made

stonestacker

stonestacker

But with a window shaker the coils and the condenser are outside. You have the coils and the condenser inside your tent so they have to be radiating some amount of heat back into that tent.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I just realized that he is in a 10x10 room, not the 20 x 20 that I thought. That should bring his BTU requirement down to a little over 2000 BTUs, and he is using 28K BTUs. Could we possibly be sucking out cool air and drawing in the hot somewhere? There HAS to be something obvious that I am missing. Where does the air from the tent go? Just to make sure I understand your setup...the AC unit has it's intake and exhaust vented outside the tent, while the cold air comes out the front of the AC unit (most of the units I have seen work like this. As long as the hot air is going out of the tent and the cool air is coming into the tent, the temps have got to come down. There are usually two fan systems...one to handle the cooling of the Freon thru the condenser and one to circulate the air around the condenser. I don't know if this unit somehow combines the cooled air from the incoming air that cools the ac unit. The LG unit should have one hose that is vented outside of the tent with the AC unit inside. The other Ideal unit should have both hoses exhausting the air, with just the AC unit itself in the tent. Both AC units should be blowing cold air out the front of the machines, while hot air exits out into the garage, with the ideal having a second hose, also in the garage. If you have the 2nd hose in the grow room, it will suck out all of the cold air.
******************UPDATE********************

After looking at the pictures, I think that one or both of the AC units are sucking the cooled air out of the tent. There should be no hose openings inside the tent, just the AC units themselves. All hoses should go into the garage or outside. My earlier posts were somewhat unclear. AC units inside, everything else goes outside. smell and exhaust to your tent are a separate matter.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

But with a window shaker the coils and the condenser are outside. You have the coils and the condenser inside your tent so they have to be radiating some amount of heat back into that tent.
But most of this heat is exhausted out the hoses. However the efficiency is affected by the ability to cool the hot side I believe. But how much I couldn't say. Touching the unit may give you an indication

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah you need both intake and exhaust hoses outside of they aren't.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
That is where the exhaust hoses come in. They exchange the hot air instead of using an window located air exchange. The one without the 2nd hose will remove some of the cooled air out along with it's exhaust since it draws it from inside the tent... the Ideal system with 2 hoses draws air from outside to cool the unit, then gets rid of the excess heat thru the 2nd hose, making it more efficient.
They are both going out of the tent and ran out of the garage.
Where is the 2nd hose from the Ideal unit? The air intake? What I wanted to verify is that the cool air inlet for the Ideal system is NOT in the tent.

8zlag

8zlag

So I'm just curious where your fresh air is coming from? A separate intake fan?
Yes but since nothing is really changing , I'mma go with a wall mounted unit. Seems like it's just that much less of a hassle and I think I read somewhere it's significantly more efficient with electricity.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It's not.
So...yo only have a 800 cu/ft room, 28000 btu of cooling, but only a 11 degree drop. All hoses are plumbed outside, with 2 hoses blowing hot air and one sucking air, with only the AC units themselves inside the room blowing cold air. I can't think of any obvious problems. If you turned off the LG unit (the one with 1 hose), does it affect the temp in the room? Since it pulls some air out of the room to cool the AC unit since it only has an exhaust hose, it could be pulling cool air with it. I would try using just the Ideal system for a few minutes and see if you notice any difference. I guess you could try it the other way as well, just to eliminate variables. This is a head scratcher.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Yes but since nothing is really changing , I'mma go with a wall mounted unit. Seems like it's just that much less of a hassle and I think I read somewhere it's significantly more efficient with electricity.
A window unit? And miss all of this fun?

Latest posts

Top Bottom