10x10 grow tent Major heat issues need some opinions.

• Thread starter 8zlag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So...yo only have a 800 cu/ft room, 28000 btu of cooling, but only a 11 degree drop. All hoses are plumbed outside, with 2 hoses blowing hot air and one sucking air, with only the AC units themselves inside the room blowing cold air. I can't think of any obvious problems. If you turned off the LG unit (the one with 1 hose), does it affect the temp in the room? Since it pulls some air out of the room to cool the AC unit since it only has an exhaust hose, it could be pulling cool air with it. I would try using just the Ideal system for a few minutes and see if you notice any difference. I guess you could try it the other way as well, just to eliminate variables. This is a head scratcher.
Yes a 1 hose unit will draw air from inside the tent over both hot and cold side and expel the hot air creating negative pressure. So the tent will also be sucking in warm air from the garage.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Probably the best method since not running a sealed room would be to cool the garage and run and intake on the tent. Either a dual hose or window AC would be better at keeping the cold air in.

8zlag

8zlag

Probably the best method since not running a sealed room would be to cool the garage and run and intake on the tent. Either a dual hose or window AC would be better at keeping the cold air in.
I'm pretty sure I said they are both dual hose ACs.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
He is running both a dual hose and a single hose system. I am thinking that the single hose system might be sucking out some of the cool air, hence my request for shutting off the system with just 1 hose. I looked up the LG unit, and only saw one exhaust hose, but maybe I looked at the wrong unit.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I think I see the problem. The AC unit is in the tent, blowing the heat that it extracted back into the tent via the hot air coming out the back of the unit. The unit should sit outside of the tent with just the air hoses entering the tent... keeping the cool air inside and the hotter air outside. The AC units might not work as well in the garage, so keeping them cool should help the tent stay cool.
Of course, if there isn't any warn air coming out the back of the unit, then I'm on the wrong track. I ran into a similar problem once when using a similar unit and the AC was in the room being cooled, which it didn't do so well. The AC was working, but it was putting the hot air back into the room thru the AC's cooling system
I just have a cheap portable evaporator AC unit but this is exactly how I run mine. I have a 6” duct that is down by the pots to hopefully help keeping the roots cooler than the ambient temp of my tent. I’ll find out in the next week or 2 how it works lol

Wolfe

Wolfe

You want your exit port for hot air to be insulated and be as short of a distance as possible going out the tent. If it is going to be inside. Sometimes the tube itself can become heated and raise the temp.

Wolfe

Wolfe

I’m not running my room right now but... This one cools a room with 6000 watts, granted my lights are ported. And I have 4 fans just sucking air through the lights to cool them down. That’s another option. Get some fans blowing toward your lights. You could also use a inline fan and suck the hot air out from the top of the tent. Then if you want you can also add a fresh air port bringing in fresh air from the garage in the bottom of the tent.

23682B12 B155 440A 9C33 D36F31734B7F
C05BD4BC 6042 461E A420 D4506791150E
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Cooling the tent, we have the AC air going outside the garage.

It tends to be hotter inside of the garage than outside of the garage I doubt the door insulation is the cause.

So the door is insulated? I don't think you where understanding what I was saying. If the door wasnt insulated you should insulate it and also seal it. Biggest reason garages get so hot minus the walls usually not having insulation in them. Another thing to do is insulate the tent. Just get strips of insulation and drape them over the tent if your garage is that hot. Def want to excahnge air in the garage if it is getting that hot. Without an insulated space and running temps in the area like that you would have to throw so much AC at it it's almost not worth it. We aren't even to the hottest part of the year. It will only get worse.

For example I built a room in my garage and then spray foamed the walls. Injected the outside garage wall it was on. Injected the door. Sprayed the ceiling above it. This was in Texas where my garage would get up to like 116+. The room would stay 85 or below without the minisplit on or the lights. Was able to run 4600k in it with zero issues and my minisplit could knock the room down to 62 degrees in about 5 mins. With a tent and just simple fabric you are working against a monster. Def throw rolls of insulation over the tent and get as much barrier as you can against the heat of the garage and the tent. Also exchanging the air. You are heating the garage with all the radiant heat off the tent. Double edge sword.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Also as others have said a 12k portable is about as good as a 5k window unit. They are trash. If anything try to put them at the top of the tent where all the heat is.

fo0

fo0

household portable air conditioner units have a max operating temperature they can cool, usually somewhere under 88f.

Latest posts

Top Bottom