11 On And 13 Off

• Thread starter cannabeans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

this is a fact - a plant needs 13-13.5 hrs of darkness to "trigger" flowering.
That cannot be true, or my outdoor girls wouldn't flower every year when they do. They start flowering hard about August 10th. I think we're getting about ten hours of darkness then. We don't get 14 hours of darkness until october. Also, 12/12 works reliably to induce flowering, so again, your statement must be inaccurate.

H

hawkman

If where going by natural outdoor lighting, than my plants never see over 15 hours of daylight for veg, and my indicas and hybrids are done the first week of October with my daylight hours at 11.6 .
Doing single strain runs, I start my flowering at 13/11 for the first 3 weeks. Then 12/12 till finished.

there are some there commerical growers out west that use this. I know 12/12 is used very often , but sciencetifcaly states different - it does shorten growing When one grows our doors it's a different ballgame

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

there are some there commerical growers out west that use this. I know 12/12 is used very often , but sciencetifcaly states different - it does shorten growing When one grows our doors it's a different ballgame

I look at it this way, If you suddenly limit the plants DLI from veg lighting to flower lighting how do the plants respond to the change.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
If there was science backing it up then we would have adopted it when it was found out. Most of us don’t care what photo schedule we use so long as we get the results we desire. I think 12/12 is just fine and 11/13 is ok too. You might save a week of flowering but at a slightly reduced yield. So it’s half dozen in one hand and 6 in the other imo.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Yes. I do. View attachment 666797
Here is the side by side I did.

Took me a minute to find it.
Peace
This side by side kind of shot itself in the foot.. is it mh vs hps for flowering or is it a photoperiod side by side? Can’t really test either by testing both. I find flowering with mh increases colour and resin but reduces yield vs hps.. soo where does the light schedule factor in?

K

kfuller802vt

Finished this Destroyer in 11 weeks this time. Proper nutrition brought her flowering period down too. I suppose I've been adding too much nitrogen to my soil and it afterwards flowering times dramatically. Lesson learned. Landrace hybrids behave so different than polyhybrids, it's crazy.
2 weeks 12/12
6 weeks 11/13
2 weeks 10/14
Harvest
View attachment 676317
looks like shit

K

kfuller802vt

as soon as plant hits stage 3 of flower ( weight of calyxes put on) i start to drop lights from 12/12. first week or stage 3 (week 5-6) i drop to 11.5/12.5 on off. second week of stage 3 i drop another half hour to 11/13 on off. after calyx swelling ends and stage 4 begins (flower ripening) i once again drop by half hour increments for the last two weeks ending at a 10/14 during ripening. works like a charm for me. and i have not experienced anymore annoying foxtails like i had in my first grows when i started growing cannabis. plants dont need a ton of light at the end to ripen, if you force feed light at the end the plant will shoot foxtails because it is confused as to why the light is not decreasing and thinks it should continue to make new calyxes, which is something i do not want to happen. it stalls ripening and overall flower quality.

any questions ask me and i will respond

H

hawkman

Finished this Destroyer in 11 weeks this time. Proper nutrition brought her flowering period down too. I suppose I've been adding too much nitrogen to my soil and it afterwards flowering times dramatically. Lesson learned. Landrace hybrids behave so different than polyhybrids, it's crazy.
2 weeks 12/12
6 weeks 11/13
2 weeks 10/14
Harvest
View attachment 676317
believe that's siminular a lighting call Green Lantern light cycle; one subtracts 1/2 hr (light) every week in flower

H

hawkman

That cannot be true, or my outdoor girls wouldn't flower every year when they do. They start flowering hard about August 10th. I think we're getting about ten hours of darkness then. We don't get 14 hours of darkness until october. Also, 12/12 works reliably to induce flowering, so again, your statement must be inaccurate.
Out door growing if a bit different as indoors we control the light not mother nature . let me reference you the science behind this. Peace

shaganja

shaganja

this is what i am gathering from this light cycle. this cycle is equatorial. sativas (normally)are equatorial. the genetics in our plant is prolly half sativa, for the popular poly hybrids. this is what most ppl are growing, except those badass long sativa growers! you know who you are! lol so our lovely girl is a responsive plant. she responds to her enviroment. this is how they can become landraces. if we left a strain alone in the woods, and it survives, it becomes a landrace, after a few seasons. it climitizes, and gets cozy in its new home! she is so slick! how about a mango strain that was develpoed in a mango patch? or strawberry fields, in vermont? these are true stories, as far as we know. so, if she can adapt to her place, she will bring out the sativa side of her when we give her that particular environment. now , depends on what strains are inside your line, will depend on what will happen. this may be why some yeild may decrease. cause most sativas grow a smaller longer bud, than the indica short fat nugs. generally speaking, of cource. so what happens to your plant, after you put her in the tropical light, depends on the sativa inside!!

shaganja

shaganja

this is what i am gathering from this light cycle. this cycle is equatorial. sativas (normally)are equatorial. the genetics in our plant is prolly half sativa, for the popular poly hybrids. this is what most ppl are growing, except those badass long sativa growers! you know who you are! lol so our lovely girl is a responsive plant. she responds to her enviroment. this is how they can become landraces. if we left a strain alone in the woods, and it survives, it becomes a landrace, after a few seasons. it climitizes, and gets cozy in its new home! she is so slick! how about a mango strain that was develpoed in a mango patch? or strawberry fields, in vermont? these are true stories, as far as we know. so, if she can adapt to her place, she will bring out the sativa side of her when we give her that particular environment. now , depends on what strains are inside your line, will depend on what will happen. this may be why some yeild may decrease. cause most sativas grow a smaller longer bud, than the indica short fat nugs. generally speaking, of cource. so what happens to your plant, after you put her in the tropical light, depends on the sativa inside!!
shes an adaptagen!
-kelly, from dragonfly earth medicine

elduderito

elduderito

hi guys - I've currently got my flower tent running at 11/13 with a mix of sativa and indica strains at various stages of flowering -- I'm thinking of switching back as the next plants coming in will be more indica heavy... As it's a perpetual grow with plants coming down in a few weeks and new ones coming in - I'm a bit scared to switch things back. Is there a risk switching back to 12/12 to stall flowering or even revert to veg?

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

hi guys - I've currently got my flower tent running at 11/13 with a mix of sativa and indica strains at various stages of flowering -- I'm thinking of switching back as the next plants coming in will be more indica heavy... As it's a perpetual grow with plants coming down in a few weeks and new ones coming in - I'm a bit scared to switch things back. Is there a risk switching back to 12/12 to stall flowering or even revert to veg?
Always that risk. I consistently run 11/13. No loss of yield. Cheaper.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Always that risk. I consistently run 11/13. No loss of yield. Cheaper.
I tried one run of 11/13 I got lighter, airier & smaller buds. I use a 1000w hps and I thought it might save me a couple bucks but never again will I go that route. There was a definite loss of volume & the density of the buds. I can see no good reason after trying 11/13 to do it again.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I tried one run of 11/13 I got lighter, airier & smaller buds. I use a 1000w hps and I thought it might save me a couple bucks but never again will I go that route. There was a definite loss of volume & the density of the buds. I can see no good reason after trying 11/13 to do it again.
Really hard to believe all that is due to 1 hour less light and absolutely doesn’t reflect my results.

In fact it sounds kind of ridiculous to me be honest.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Really hard to believe all that is due to 1 hour less light and absolutely doesn’t reflect my results.

In fact it sounds kind of ridiculous to me be honest.
What ever, I'm not here to bullshit I can only reply to what my results were. I had even installed a brand new Eye Hort 1000 w and I was really disappointed in the finish.

edit I pulled this from one of my post Feb 2020..
I've been running my flower lights 11/13 for this run on my Cherry Bomb clones and I'm not impressed with the results so far. The first 2 at 10.5 weeks are now drying but not all the buds are as solid as I'd like. It threw my watering and feedings off by not going through the water fast enough, on 12/12 I water every 3-4 days on 11/13 it was 5-6 days. I'm not 100% the 11/13 is completely responsible but I'm going back to 12/12 for my next run and I'll see if the buds tighten up more.

I'm still at 12/12 for some reason.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You can run autoflowers 12/12, growth will be slow, you probably cant do this with photoperid plants bc our longest day of year is a tad over 14 hours and they probably wont get enough light to thrive. I run my autos 16/8 to give them a bit more darkness to cool down and stretch out and reduce stress, but most people run them 18/6, running autoflowers 24/7 causes stress and plants cant cool down and rest, over the years i have tried different light cycles and found at least as far as autos go 16/8 works best for me, it reduces stress and plants come in right on time very healthy.

20180810 073613
20201126 081247
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
You can run autoflowers 12/12, growth will be slow, you probably cant do this with photoperid plants bc our longest day of year is a tad over 14 hours and they probably wont get enough light to thrive. I run my autos 16/8 to give them a bit more darkness to cool down and stretch out and reduce stress, but most people run them 18/6, running autoflowers 24/7 causes stress and plants cant cool down and rest, over the years i have tried different light cycles and found at least as far as autos go 16/8 works best for me, it reduces stress and plants come in right on time very healthy.
I ran the last auto's 20/4 during their veg under 400w t5's then 12/12 under my 1000w hps...Too expensive to run it 18hrs per day....out of 20 plants 10 were great and 10 were airy but it still had nice sweet smoke....Just too small and finicky for me...5 photo's = 20 autos in volume for me.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Lighting is almost always the limiting factor in indoor grows, next is Co2 and water.

Top Bottom