1200w red/blue LED burn?

• Thread starter Isee4lights
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Isee4lights

Hey guys, first timer in all sorts of ways

there is leaf burn on one of these plants that decided to blow up into the atmosphere of my little world,
I am unable to raise the light anymore, so I’m running out of ideas and seeking some help here

I’m currently using both red and blue light switches (veg/flower) because I read even though the requirements are separate for light and phases, the flowering phase does use some blue light

should I cut off the blue light to lower the intensity? Or is it ok if this one plant gets a little leaf burn at the very top?
thank you for any advice. And I mean any!

1200w redblue led burn
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Hey guys, first timer in all sorts of ways

there is leaf burn on one of these plants that decided to blow up into the atmosphere of my little world,
I am unable to raise the light anymore, so I’m running out of ideas and seeking some help here

I’m currently using both red and blue light switches (veg/flower) because I read even though the requirements are separate for light and phases, the flowering phase does use some blue light

should I cut off the blue light to lower the intensity? Or is it ok if this one plant gets a little leaf burn at the very top?
thank you for any advice. And I mean any!
Have you thought about just raising the light? BTW....what light are you using, and how high above the tops??

I don't run autos, but any stress is not good for them.

I

Isee4lights

Thanks! Well, the light is a kingsled 1200w with Veg and flower. Switches
it’s cell 58 inches high, and these autos are all doing good it looks like except the single plant that grew 6 inches past the others
the light is 18 inches above the others, 12 inches above the michael Jordan plant

I

Isee4lights

Anddd I can’t raise it anymore as of yet, due to the space

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Anddd I can’t raise it anymore as of yet, due to the space
1st, and I am not knocking your light; That light is nowhere near a 1200 (TRUE) watt light..This was copied from Amazon.
"2 amps. 245 watts @120 volts ac measured with kill a watt meter. By A user on September 12, 2018 "
That is a marketing gimmick, used to suck people in..ie" replaces an 800 watt HPS..or 200pcs of 10 watt diodes equals 2000 watts..Pure Hockey Puck!

If yours is hung by the typically supplied wire hangers..you could double them up to shorten them. You also can replace them with HD zip ties and gain about 6" (temporary). I dislike autos since I always supercrop my plants to keep them shorter with an even canopy..supercropping is a high stress technique..good for photos..not for autos.

I have only one burple remaining..a high end Unitfarm UFO80, that sits between two of my white lights. It can and will bleach the bud tops if I have it too close. The leaf temps should be at a maximum of 75d F so transpiration takes place normally. Excess heat/light can cause the plants to drink more, especially in a low RH flowering environment. Different plants will react differently to stressors.

Got any pictures to share? if so..more help from other members should be forthcoming.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Edit: Forgot about your (?) Yo-yo hangers..
If you have them, temporarily replacing them with a simple short length of picture hanging wire (heavy duty stuff) wire will also save another 6" inches of height.

I

Isee4lights

thank You I sure do appreciate your experience in this

the temps are being kept right at 77-80 degrees
humidity kept at 35-40 now started at 60, slowly lowered)
using low amounts of foxfarm big bloom and tiger bloom (switched to tiger from grow big during veg)
ph of water is kept at 6-6.5 reading that autos like 6-7
3 gallon fabric pots
ocean foxfarm soil
small fan underneath and 2 fams in the middle, one large up top for exhaust

the stick is exactly 20 inches from the light which has the temp and humidity sensor
the zip tie on the rope is measured where the original Leaf burn started

these lux readings are taken exactly level on top of each numbered plant
hope this helps!

E2CD3C24 B037 4877 860D 0D2D5675250D
86CA68FC 4F99 4A98 88D5 9140A47E41F5
B693D3EA 1316 4710 BD8E A48049EED5DB
17B32EB5 8125 4A0E 8349 41914EBE211D
60FBF885 AEAB 4BA7 95A7 4E56D793B1A7
621DDD66 1751 4048 8FE0 4935FDD7FF57
4CC5C347 99B4 44FE A27A A69E1789ED1C
1CA0BEC3 6E8E 4D7C B95D 6D83A8D1D19A
B654C8BA 04C2 4BCE 8A70 5DB759513030
B3F0D7A1 EFF5 42F9 89B4 7FAE37DAB225
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

thank You I sure do appreciate your experience in this

the temps are being kept right at 77-80 degrees
humidity kept at 35-40 now started at 60, slowly lowered)
using low amounts of foxfarm big bloom and tiger bloom (switched to tiger from grow big during veg)
ph of water is kept at 6-6.5 reading that autos like 6-7
3 gallon fabric pots
ocean foxfarm soil
small fan underneath and 2 fams in the middle, one large up top for exhaust

the stick is exactly 20 inches from the light which has the temp and humidity sensor
the zip tie on the rope is measured where the original Leaf burn started

these lux readings are taken exactly level on top of each numbered plant
hope this helps!
There you go..Nice plants!
Now people can see what you are after. I am unfamiliar with FF nutes, but I am using an assortment of FF soils.
Picture #1 looks like a PH problem..have you checked your pen? Mine goes out of wack monthly, so I have a chemical kit as well to calibrate by.

Can you reduce the light hangers etc, so you can keep the LEAF TEMPS at or below 75dF? Your RH is great for flower, but adds to the original heat issue (I keep mine there as well)

From my understanding..LUX meters do not measure LEDs properly. I use the back of my hand (yea..I am old..LOL), and if I feel heat at the plant tops..up the lights go. You should learn to "read" the plants. Watch for the serrated leaf edges if they start turning up..That means they are getting warm, and/or not transpiring well.

You need to monitor the temps st the top of the buds..20" should be ok, but again, I don't know your light. Do you have a good exhaust set up? Very necessary to keep them healthy.

All in all, your grow is looking good!:)

I

Isee4lights

Ty, that’s good to hear!
I started out with ph problems and did not correct it until 2 weeks ago when I bought the ph meter, according to the distributor the ph meter was precalibrated but does occasionally need to be recalibrated

I actually wrapped the wiring around some bamboo 2 days ago to raise it another 2 inches but I like your double up zip tie idea better.. can get a few more inches up

the exhaust fan is just a heavy duty vornado fan at the top blowing heat out..l but I set the temp to 78, I can definitely lower the temps
but like you, I’m old and I like to feel the heat too I just didn’t know how to read my hand correctly lol

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Ty, that’s good to hear!
I started out with ph problems and did not correct it until 2 weeks ago when I bought the ph meter, according to the distributor the ph meter was precalibrated but does occasionally need to be recalibrated

I actually wrapped the wiring around some bamboo 2 days ago to raise it another 2 inches but I like your double up zip tie idea better.. can get a few more inches up

the exhaust fan is just a heavy duty vornado fan at the top blowing heat out..l but I set the temp to 78, I can definitely lower the temps
but like you, I’m old and I like to feel the heat too I just didn’t know how to read my hand correctly lol
Your setup sounds good..BUT, I would not have my exhaust set by temperature. It not only exhausts heat, but also gets rid of humidity as well as a fresh air exchange!
Mine runs high 24x7 (440 cuft per min in a 3x3x6 tent) ..only exception is if I am pollinating branches to make seeds. (yep, you can pollinate a branch without really affecting the rest of the plant.)

Put the back of your hand at bud level under the light..if you feel heat..raise it up a bit..it's also about possible light stress if those serrated edges turn up. Some is ok..just not alot.

It took me ages to learn to read the plants..No electronics can do what a plant's leaves, roots, and general condition can tell you..The plant won't lie either..LOL

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

This is my 3x3 today. See the leaf edges beginning to point up..heat is beginning to happen and I will dim the lights down a bit.
The Mandarin Sunset (Exotic) x Sour Grape (BOG) has started throwing naners and may need to be culled. I took a shot with that cross since the mother plant by exotic is known to be unstable..Yep..I crowd 4 plants into a 3x3 and always have.
About 700+ true LED watts in there, so I have to watch my PPFD (a guess by the leaves..PAR meters are too pricey). Next time you buy lights..do look at the HLG Quantums and knockoffs by Kingbrite in China with DIMMERS! No more height problems!
10 14 19

Last edited:
I

Isee4lights

Very nice looking! Compared to mine yours looks 3x + more production happening... inexperienced guess ofcourse
I actually invested in 2 more kingsleds already, lol
ill see what happens with this round, and maybe round 2, and maybe I can later on do something with these and look into dimmers,,, that sounds like a real fix! Thanks thanks

i just now cut off the blue light on mine so it’s only the “flowering” light which will produce I’m guessing about 20% less intensity than with both red and blue together, and I’m gonna try to turn on the blue light for a few hours a day since they say.... flowering uses blue but not that much, just a little
so if I can lower the intensity and just give it a little sometimes maybe that’s a temporary fix

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Very nice looking! Compared to mine yours looks 3x + more production happening... inexperienced guess ofcourse
I actually invested in 2 more kingsleds already, lol
ill see what happens with this round, and maybe round 2, and maybe I can later on do something with these and look into dimmers,,, that sounds like a real fix! Thanks thanks

i just now cut off the blue light on mine so it’s only the “flowering” light which will produce I’m guessing about 20% less intensity than with both red and blue together, and I’m gonna try to turn on the blue light for a few hours a day since they say.... flowering uses blue but not that much, just a little
so if I can lower the intensity and just give it a little sometimes maybe that’s a temporary fix
I wouldn't cut the blue..Plants need both spectrums in flower..You can't just add a dimmer to a light that was not made for it either..I have 2 of these + the Unitfarm UFO 80 in that tent. I use different lights rather than a single large light so that I can grow different strains that are tall and short in the same tent. A few of the Farmers here have bought them too..Great everything!
When you are ready, next time..BTW,,I began with Burple imports..sold them on Ebay after the first year to get stuff like these:)

I

Isee4lights

I actually Just added that exact light to my shopping card before checking back here lol.. like $850
guess I better cut a hole in my ceiling if 3 more inches isn’t enough

that’s a real nice, professional looking light

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

As for production..Remember that I run Photos and can flip at will. I usually veg for 7-8 weeks..Longer veg=bigger plants= more fruit.

Clean forgot..The reason that you haven't received many answers is that it's outdoor harvest time! Many are busy chopping and trimming. I finished last week so I have more time now between cleanups and the indoor plants.

20190928 043612 resized
9 25 19
10 7 19

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I actually Just added that exact light to my shopping card before checking back here lol.. like $850
guess I better cut a hole in my ceiling if 3 more inches isn’t enough

that’s a real nice, professional looking light

If your plants have been in flower for say 3 weeks or more..the stretching should be over; but the colas will still grow upwards.

Kingbrite has fabulous CS and the lights come pre-assembled..You mount and wire the driver and hang them! They are a great value imo. I got mine via UPS xpress in about 7 days (to Nevada)..No additional duty either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom