135W Blackstar LED Closet grow-- White Indica and Skunk #1

• Thread starter CarloMarx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CarloMarx

Well THC, I’ve decided that it is time to give the great indoors a try. I'm new to the forum, but I have a little growing experience. I received two freebies—White Indica from Ceres Seeds and Skunk #1 from White Label Seeds—with my outdoor order for the spring. Additionally, I will be growing one unknown bagseed. Everything is going to be under a 135W Blackstar LED and two supplemental CFLs in my closet. Both plants will be grown organically in soil with minimal fertilizer use during the first half of the grow. I am not going to worry about odor control until I switch to 12/12. But when that happens I will most like be using a Vaportek odor eliminator.

Soil Mix:
Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic- A slightly acidic peat based soil with added compost and Endomycorrhiza.
Vermiculite
Perlite
Worm Castings
Jobe’s Organics Vegetable Fertilizer- Contains the beneficial microorganism Archaea that aggressively breaks down organic materials for more efficient nutrient uptake.

The quantities of each aren’t exact so I can’t post the amounts. I just start with a bunch of Pro-Mix and starting mixing everything else in by feel.

I plan on vegging these girls for somewhere around 6 weeks and then flowering for about 7 to 8. That should give these things ample time to grow as many colas as possible (with help from my training).

Right now I don’t have any fans running in the cab. However, I will be making a hole in the cab for a PC fan that is to be used for exhaust. In addition to this, I have two fans that can run within the cab itself if more airflow is needed. As of now , the cab is stable at 78 degrees with the LED and the CFLs running.

The distance from the light to the plants is around 7 inches.

I'm starting the seeds in 5 inch pots until they are big enough to transplant into my #1 and #2 Geopots.

Due to low humidity I will be adding a small humidifier to the setup within the next three days.

Okay, I think that’s about it! I will continue to edit this post if I remember anything else when I start coming down from these bongs rips!

I've attached some pictures of my setup and outdoor crop from last season.

Cheers, everyone [smoke]

IMG 20120112 00328
IMG 20120112 00333
IMG 20120112 00335
IMG 20120112 00336
Dsc0432hh
Dsc0434w
Imag0257ao
Dodge

Dodge

Cool Cool

Looking forward to the LED grow. So you got like 135w in LED and, what, like another 30w in CFL. Just over a 160w. I, like everyone else, loves the idea of solid state lighting that last for 20 years. People say good and bad things about them but I often ask myself: "How many times have they personally used LED's." LED's are designed to produce tons of PAR. I have a small micro (210w) going with T5. Good luck buddy. Will be watchin'. My micro grow:

RIPP

RIPP

Welcome to thcfarmer

I'm also looking forward to the LED grow. Currently running 300W Blackstar 3W Epistar.

All the best

C

CarloMarx

Cool Cool

Looking forward to the LED grow. So you got like 135w in LED and, what, like another 30w in CFL. Just over a 160w. I, like everyone else, loves the idea of solid state lighting that last for 20 years. People say good and bad things about them but I often ask myself: "How many times have they personally used LED's." LED's are designed to produce tons of PAR. I have a small micro (210w) going with T5. Good luck buddy. Will be watchin'. My micro grow:

Welcome to thcfarmer

I'm also looking forward to the LED grow. Currently running 300W Blackstar 3W Epistar.

All the best

Thanks, guys. An LED was the only choice for me, as I don't have a setup that can handle a lot of heat. An HPS or something bigger simply would not fit and would put off way too much heat. I'm still very excited to use one and get he ball rolling.

The seeds were germinated for two days in paper towels and are now in the soil slowly inching their way to the surface. I hope to have some growth above soil here soon.

C

CarloMarx

Just checkin to say that everything is going as planned. The seedlings have been above ground for about a week. The Skunk #1 is growing a lot faster than the White Indica. I'm a little stumped about that, but no big deal.

C

CarloMarx

Since the seedling stage is kind of boring, I post pictures in about a week. That way they won't be wee little babies anymore.

C

CarloMarx

Decided to give you guys a picture of the improved setup.

IMG 20120123 00343
BrianDirt

BrianDirt

Give em dirt and water and there we grow. Nice light interesed in seeing how it grows, not much to say this early though. I got a skunk going too, maybe 4 weeks ahead of yours, 2 weeks in the flower now.

C

CarloMarx

Give em dirt and water and there we grow. Nice light interesed in seeing how it grows, not much to say this early though. I got a skunk going too, maybe 4 weeks ahead of yours, 2 weeks in the flower now.

It's still early, but I definitely like to the way the Skunk #1 has responded to the LED light. The growth is very nice and dense at 8-9 inches from the light. Every time I peek in the cab it looks like it has grown!

Still waiting for the White Indica to take off.

C

CarloMarx

As promised, the update is here :hello:

Everything is still running quite smoothly. I just gave both plants a good watering about two days ago. The Skunk #1 has used up almost all the water since then, but the White Indica is still lagging behind. She is finally starting to catch up a bit, however.

I plan on letting the Skunk #1 grow one more full node and then I'm going to give her a FIM job. I will probably also transplant her soon. In my experience, plants tend to show a darker leaf color when their roots have met the sides of the container.

Pictures!

White Indica:
1208.jpg

Skunk #1
2166.jpg

3119.jpg

C

CarloMarx

They are still growing!

I've started feeding using 1 tbsp of high Nitrogen bat guano per gallon of distilled water. I've also added another pc fan to the mix to regulate temps.

This pic was taken about a week ago.

dsc0826p.jpg

Purpstickipunch

Purpstickipunch

In my experience, plants tend to show a darker leaf color when their roots have met the sides of the container.

Interesting I will have to definately remember that. Awesome LED. I personally have an HPS, even though I heard mix reviews over LEDs I have to admit it looks promising. lol. Awesome color too..LOL.

They look beautiful. Question just curious how much water do you feed your babies per gal of soil?

Oh check my grow!!

BrianDirt

BrianDirt

Be carefull not to over fert at this stage. The led is for sure going to make for an interesting grow to follow, I also have a skunk variant flowering.

Top Bottom