14KW flip flop build

• Thread starter gettogro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gettogro

Hi all,
Im new to THC farmer. I have been out of the growing sene for 5 years or so. I had some cool Krusty style threads on OG back in the day. I have been reading and studying here for a couple months now and have found some great info and inspiring ideas from DDs, jack, coxie and many others.

I am getting ready to start my new grow room build. I just leased a house in the mountains and it has a 24 x 24 detached garage that I will be dedicating for the grow. I am moving in on august 1. My plan is to have 2 flower rooms each with 7 1000w air cooled vertical lights with 8 plants in each room. I am going to run them on a flip flop schedule to spread the amperage out.

I am going to start ordering all the supplies in July and get as much of the pre fab work done now. I want to have everything I need already on hand before I move. I can load everything in a relo cube and have it dropped off at once so deliveries dont look out of place.

I have my buddy who is also an electrician is going to fly in to help me. My plan is to Knock it out in a week or so in mid August. I want to have the rooms up and running with plants by Sept 1.

Here is a rough layout of what I have in mind.
growroomlayout.jpg

I have experience using GH nutes only. I am very interested in using AN or H&G this time around. I like DDs nute schedule it seems easy enough.

I am torn between building the UC, MPB, and KFB hydro systems. Not sure yet but Im leaning twards UC for its rellative simplicity with some top drippers.

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

Nice layout bro.. cant wait to see it in action.. good luck my friend..

G

gettogro

Each of the flower rooms will be 10 x 14 8 ft celings framed out. With 3/4 foam board with the shinny aluminum face for reflectivity. I plan on using a 2 ton mini split in each room. Air cooled 6kw with the 1kw center bulb bare. 2 6 in fans with 3 lights on each with a carbon scrubber.

Here is a shopping list of what I need so far.

Any links on good deals for any of this stuff would be appriciated, A lot of what I need is on ebay for decent prices

18 buckets/lids 20 360
38 uniseals 7 266
2 mag drive 1800 150 300
18 bubble discs 7 126
1 air pumps 150 300
16 8 in net pots 10 160
misc pvc glue valves 100
2 float valves 10 20
2 50 gallon res 50 100
2 ro filters 150 300
1 75 gallon res 100 100
2 tri meters 185 370
2 1/2 hp chillers 600 1200
2 mag drive 1800 150 300

6 6" fan/filter combo 200 1200
2 cap mlc 8x 250 500
14 cool tubes 80 940
14 1kw ballasts 300 4200
2 2 ton split ac 1700 3400
14 1kw hortilux bulbs 840 840
4 oscilating fans 25 100

2 hydrogen co2 300 600
2 co2 monitors 300 600
1 mag drive pump 75 75
Tank Lines 50

9 8 gal buckets 15 135
18 uniseals 7 126
2 mag drives 75 150
9 bubble discs 7 63
1 air pump 150
8 8in net pots 10 80
misc pvc valves 50
1 float valve 10 10
1 tri meter 185

70 2x4 8ft 2.50 174
16 2x4 10ft 5 80
27 4x8 1/2" sheets 8 210
27 4x8 Foam board 11.67 315
nails screws glue 100
Vinyl flooring 220

$totals $18,656

Stings a little but I want it to be right the first time. I figure it will cost around 20k to get it up and running. Im taking a big step moving me and my gf accross the country. But we love snowboarding and welcome the change. Just to be within state law and under the radar is priceless.

Any ideas and help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks
g

Feijao

Feijao

I am thinking of doing something real similar so I will being paying attention to this one for sure.

You have listed that you need to buy 14 ballasts but if you are using a flip flop you will only need 7 and however many you are going to use for the veg room.

Olyver

Olyver

If you're looking for a custom built flip, send an email to [email protected], you'll get the best unit around, unlike some of the crap that's around, cheaply made and shock hazards. If you need a custom build loadcenter, you can get that too.

Z

zoeronerer

Hi all,
Im new to THC farmer. I have been out of the growing sene for 5 years or so. I had some cool Krusty style threads on OG back in the day. I have been reading and studying here for a couple months now and have found some great info and inspiring ideas from DDs, jack, coxie and many others.

I am getting ready to start my new grow room build. I just leased a house in the mountains and it has a 24 x 24 detached garage that I will be dedicating for the grow. I am moving in on august 1. My plan is to have 2 flower rooms each with 7 1000w air cooled vertical lights with 8 plants in each room. I am going to run them on a flip flop schedule to spread the amperage out.

I am going to start ordering all the supplies in July and get as much of the pre fab work done now. I want to have everything I need already on hand before I move. I can load everything in a relo cube and have it dropped off at once so deliveries dont look out of place.

I have my buddy who is also an electrician is going to fly in to help me. My plan is to Knock it out in a week or so in mid August. I want to have the rooms up and running with plants by Sept 1.

Here is a rough layout of what I have in mind.
growroomlayout.jpg

I have experience using GH nutes only. I am very interested in using AN or H&G this time around. I like DDs nute schedule it seems easy enough.

I am torn between building the UC, MPB, and KFB hydro systems. Not sure yet but Im leaning twards UC for its rellative simplicity with some top drippers.

man i just built something very close 8 lights per room .. ducted lights ... took me 2 months to build ... i owe you a chicken dinner if you can do it in a week good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

and your estimate is close i built and ordered alot of stuff myself but the budget was about 15k but i got some wholesale deals from my trusted shop. do your best to get them to knock the pricing down they wont let you walk out the door with a list like that ...

have fun ........ and dont be mad if yer buddy has to stay a couple extra days.....:character0053:

C

casmel

8 Plant only with 7 kw , i saw a Scrog grow With 24 LadyCanes and dude yielded over 3 kg !!!! Had about 5-7 Kw also So yeah you might consider 30-40 plants maybe total in 14KW but it depends on the growing method and the successful crop yielding but more plants would produce more donut versus the electricity cost .

G

gettogro

If you're looking for a custom built flip, send an email to [email protected], you'll get the best unit around, unlike some of the crap that's around, cheaply made and shock hazards. If you need a custom build loadcenter, you can get that too.

Ill hit u up for sure. I wasnt sure what was out ther for that application. I thought of building my own with some contactors and relays, but I figured it would be a lot of trouble to save 2100 in the grand scheme of things. But if there is someone has the schematic tried and tested I am very interested in buying a unit. Haveing something like that fail mid grow would be a real pain in the ass.

I am thinking of doing something real similar so I will being paying attention to this one for sure.

You have listed that you need to buy 14 ballasts but if you are using a flip flop you will only need 7.

I just started researching that. Not sure what to do yet

Nice layout bro.. cant wait to see it in action.. good luck my friend..

Thanks Bro. Im pretty motivatid on this prodject I havent built any mj contraptions in 5 or so years. I cant wait

man i just built something very close 8 lights per room .. ducted lights ... took me 2 months to build ... i owe you a chicken dinner if you can do it in a week good luck!!!!!!!!!

have fun ........ and dont be mad if yer buddy has to stay a couple extra days.....:character0053:

I know its a lofty goal but Im sure my buddy wont mind the extra couple days in cool weather. Its really hot and humid here. But we love BBQ chicken.. lol

8 Plant only with 7 kw , i saw a Scrog grow With 24 LadyCanes and dude yielded over 3 kg !!!! Had about 5-7 Kw also So yeah you might consider 30-40 plants maybe total in 14KW but it depends on the growing method and the successful crop yielding but more plants would produce more donut versus the electricity cost .

I wish I could grow that many plants but I am trying to comply with state law for the first time in my life. its going to be weird :angel

Peace

g

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter

Ill hit u up for sure. I wasnt sure what was out ther for that application. I thought of building my own with some contactors and relays, but I figured it would be a lot of trouble to save 2100 in the grand scheme of things. But if there is someone has the schematic tried and tested I am very interested in buying a unit. Haveing something like that fail mid grow would be a real pain in the ass.

I just started researching that. Not sure what to do yet

Peace

g

I ahve seen pics of Olyver's work>>>quite talented and heard many great things>>>he will dial ya right in bro>>good luck with your move and plans<<<

:passingjoint:

gtd

Z

zoeronerer

I know its a lofty goal but Im sure my buddy wont mind the extra couple days in cool weather. Its really hot and humid here. But we love BBQ chicken.. lol

loves me some chicken...

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Im taking a big step moving me and my gf accross the country. But we love snowboarding and welcome the change. Just to be within state law and under the radar is priceless.

Thanks
g

That's very motivational, bro.. Seriously!! I wish you and yours the best of luck & time moving and relocating. When I hear peeps talk like this, it makes we want to up and get the fuck out of here, too.. When I'm done with my graduates degrees, hello medical state..

I cannot even imagine what life would be like not always having to look over the shoulder. The thought of just growing legally, omg!!! :D Tagged and happy harvest!

G

gettogro

That's very motivational, bro.. Seriously!! I wish you and yours the best of luck & time moving and relocating. When I hear peeps talk like this, it makes we want to up and get the fuck out of here, too.. When I'm done with my graduates degrees, hello medical state..

I cannot even imagine what life would be like not always having to look over the shoulder. The thought of just growing legally, omg!!! :D Tagged and happy harvest!

Yea its starting to sink in, 4 more weeks starting to get the butterflies

Thanks for the info in the flip boxes I decided to go that route. maybe you guys could point me in the right direction on ballasts as well. I saw the 1000k digital ballast and cool tube combo for 300 shipped on ebay

It seems to be a good deal as the cool tubes are included. Would I be better off not skimping on the ballasts and getting lumatech or quantums?

I have been out of the game for a while and trying to catch up

I also am looking at the 18seer friedrich 2 ton mini splits. I was wondering if they would automatically switch from ac mode to heat pump mode to keep the temps within 10 degrees day/night. Im thinking in the winter time its going to be pretty cold I want to keep the temps in the 70's at night.

g

M

mrdizzle

hey bro I have 6 plants in a 10ftx14ft room an its waaaaay tight in there, and Im only using 4000w, I would shoot for 18ft long at least

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
Ghettogro, can't wait till ya start moving into the new place, it'll be a hell of a grow.

Great to see another tree grow! I've got a 15-plant limit in my state and am going the MPB route.

One thing I've been reading with the vertical light tree grows is that one of the main factors is lights per plant(take this as you will, I have no personal experience yet, just lots of thread reading/following).Currently your looking at a 8-plant, 7-light setup... With the layout you currently have the plant/light ratio is.
-2 plants are lit on 4 sides.
-2 plants are lit on 3 sides.
-4 plants are lit on 2 sides.

Have you thought about a 7-plant, 8-light setup such as this pattern?

X=light
O=plant

XOX
OXO
XOX
OXO
XOX

In this layout your plant/light ratio is.

-1-plant is lit on 4-sides.
-6-plants are lit on 3-sides.

From what I've been reading and seeing is the main key to growing large tree's is having the most sides of the plant being penetrated by light, 4 sides being optimal. DD, Coxie, Lost, etc. all run more lights than plants for awesome yeilds with vertically lighted tree's. These are just my thoughts, take from it what you will. Good luck!!

I

Inuit

^^^Damnit, thats exactly what I was going to say. Invest in more AC and more ballasts, drop the flip (but still get a load center0, run the lights at night to combat cool evenings, and do exactly what is said. You'll get more yield the more plants you have wit 4 sides of light. Hell, DDs even sticks 600's in the corners behind the plants. Not sure if he still rec's this but he did at one point.

You can do it!

Be safe

I

I

Inuit

To be more clear, in your drawing if you remove the center wall, and you reverse the room on the right side (lights become plants and plants become lights to complete the checkerboard pattern) you will have many more plants with light on all sides.

Best of luck.

A

600gph

600gph

These guys come out of the woodwork everyday...More plants more plants more time in jail

mc

G

gettogro

My opinion leans more judging my grows on pounds per light. I would rather have all lights hitting at least 3 plants. In my past tree grows I would always try to have each light hitting 4 plants as to not waste any side of the valuable wattage. I would run 6 lights and 12 plants to achieve this and regularly pull at least 2 lbs per light. I wish I could run 20kw in this room but I dont have enough power to do so hence the flip flop method. So im thinking If I can run a max of 7kw in each flower room this setup would be the most efficient way to accomplish that. When I get there next month and start the framing I might try to build the room bigger to say 11x16 or 18 there are some existing shelving in the garage that might be in the way, If I can convince the landlord to let me tear them down then its on, Ill be able to get the optimal 5x5 spacing. Ill still feel a little guilty by wasting the un used 6 sides of the outside lights by having no plants there, but ill make that sacrifice to comply with state law

Here are a few pics from one of my old grows I did in 2004, I ran these Krusty style. Pulled 12.25#s off 6 lights and a 2 ton ac

olp_082.jpg

olp_080.jpg
olp_079.jpg
olp_130.jpg
olp_129.jpg
olp_136.jpg

W

WolfDawg

Nice, so what strains were you running there in your 2#/1000 grow?

G

gettogro

Those strains were powerplant, green spirit, or silverblue.

I was thinking about a way to rate the efficiency of my new setup. I figure that if I am using the full potential of each 1k light, it would have a plant on all four sides to rate it at being used at 100% and a plant on 3 sides at 75%. With that in mind This set up would have 6 lights at 75% and 1 light at 100%.

So 6X75+100=550 550/700=.785 I figure I am using 78.5% of my total 7000 watts available. If I set my goal at 2 pounds per light and am using 78.5% of my available lights 7X2=14 14X.785= 10.99lbs

So if all goes well and I can get some good clones of some hashplant or g13 or another high yielding tree strain. I would set my harvest goal at 11 lbs per room. Im sure that wont happen on the first run but it will be something to work towards.

Peace

Latest posts

Top Bottom