15 amp or 20 amp or 2 15 amps? 4X8 tent two led lights

• Thread starter Sparky75
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
@PipeCarver, like I tried to intimate, you, I and others have varying degrees of understanding in Electrical theory and it’s application. That said, anyone who’s viewing this thread may come off with an incorrect assumption based on what is presented. If you clearly state what the National Electrical Code (NEC) say’s, there shouldn’t be much to dispute. Many home growers and other rely on the defacto experts, at HD personal who may not really have any basis for saying anything, but continue everyday to any who will listen. When on forums like this if we perpetuate those misuses and misconceptions of what the “code” says, we join the party of those spouting useless information.
In the end everyone will take the path most available only those willing to investigate the facts will end up with an installation that both serves their use and is safe at the same time.
I can only add, that every receptacle I have in my garage supplying power to my grow set up are all protected by either a panel mounted GFI, or an individual GFI, which I feed the protection to anything downstream. That has and continues to provide protection that because of adhering to the NEC, we don’t see many situations where homes burn down because of electrical caused fires.
" we don’t see many situations where homes burn down because of electrical caused fires." lol So ground fault protection stopped most electrical fires in homes. Just plug in to a gfi and don't worry about sloppy wiring, lose connections,rodents or malfunctioning equipment. Are all of your circuits protected? or just all power circuits?

I asked you about using the receptacle in the 4x4 rather than a breaker in the panel. Would that not be acceptable and still be able to run a 3 wire from the panel? Is it safety you're trying to promote or strict adherence to regulations? Is what I proposed dangerous? or just doesn't follow the code in your part of the world?

Dan789

Dan789

" we don’t see many situations where homes burn down because of electrical caused fires." lol So ground fault protection stopped most electrical fires in homes. Just plug in to a gfi and don't worry about sloppy wiring, lose connections,rodents or malfunctioning equipment. Are all of your circuits protected? or just all power circuits?

I asked you about using the receptacle in the 4x4 rather than a breaker in the panel. Would that not be acceptable and still be able to run a 3 wire from the panel? Is it safety you're trying to promote or strict adherence to regulations? Is what I proposed dangerous? or just doesn't follow the code in your part of the world?
I've witnessed countless sup par owner initiated electrical installation approximations, due to an incomplete understanding of accepted practices. I didn't intimate that just by utilizing GFI/AFCI receptacles that the danger from electrically caused home fires would be eliminated. Not sure what you want me to validate, in your request to re litigate your 4x4 installation, I'm leaving this pointless back and forth, as nothing is being accomplished other than wasting time.
Good luck going forward, try to learn more about electrical installations if doing something correctly is of interest, no matter what country you now reside.

Sparky75

Sparky75

I am trying to get this right the first time, so I don't have to go back and do it again the second time.....

Okay, Here is what I have

For now, I will be setting up a 4x8 tent, possibly another later on so I can run separate CBD and THC tents. I have two rooms. 11.5x7.5 room and a 14x16 room. Instead of doing a second 4x8 tent, I may convert the 11.5x7.5 room. I don't know, just walking through the possibilities so I only have to run wires one time. I won't be selling it, nor do I smoke it. Purely to help my daughter and maybe some other cancer patients I know. I hate for anyone to experience cancer and I have learned a skill that could helps some good people and I have the lab setup already and fairly experienced at this point. I pay 380-480 per ounce for both cbd and thc. Gotta do something........😲😲😲

Electrical box in basement

basscaptain

basscaptain

guys are going to say what your doing isn't right to CODE>>> your low on $$$ and what your doing will work just fine........ Just be smart and remember your running a few rooms off this not a whole house.......

Hope the best to you and your family. I did read this and good luck with everything....

Last edited:
Sparky75

Sparky75

guys are going to say what your doing isn't right to CODE>>> your low on $$$ and what your doing will work just fine........ Just be smart and remember your running a few rooms off this not a whole house.......

Hope the best to you and your family. I did read this and good luck with everything....

Actually I did not do that. the electrician did, I am going to get an electrician in here to fix that too code and whatever else I need. I just want to be able to explain to him exactly what I want......smh......lol

basscaptain

basscaptain

at 1 time that would fly..... but in todays world there going to have a problem with it....... I would have no problem running right off that ... no need to pay alot of money there unless you want to......

basscaptain

basscaptain

the only thing I would do is pul the plugs and gfi them.....
10 yrs ago and depending where you live that would fly.. put gfi plugs in and roll with it.....

Last edited:
basscaptain

basscaptain

just put 2 15's in there and gfi plugs at the end if going to be by water......... If it was me I would take one of those black plugs out and put a gfi there .. use that plug in a box somewhere else.. Just use what's there .. buy 2 15 and a roll of wire a few boxs your rolling for 150 bones bro.... Do it Yourself.......

basscaptain

basscaptain

part of the reason it's not going to pass code..... a few others but it's solid you can roll with it........

man a lot of people would love to start right there...... it was hooked up kool just didn't get the extra's

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've witnessed countless sup par owner initiated electrical installation approximations, due to an incomplete understanding of accepted practices. I didn't intimate that just by utilizing GFI/AFCI receptacles that the danger from electrically caused home fires would be eliminated. Not sure what you want me to validate, in your request to re litigate your 4x4 installation, I'm leaving this pointless back and forth, as nothing is being accomplished other than wasting time.
Good luck going forward, try to learn more about electrical installations if doing something correctly is of interest, no matter what country you now reside.
What is done correctly depends in your regional location. example 1 ground rods in your location is illegal in mine we require 2- 6 ft apart. I was surprised at your no home fires in your area comment. That must either mean you live where there are only new homes built all to the newest code regulations and all the homes built before all the arc fault ground fault regs came in have burned down do to faulty wiring pre 2000. Or your statement is fear mongering ( without strict adherence to regulations) you're going to burn your house down is preposterous.
Does that thought means all homes built pre 2000 are fire hazards? Is the op on a dirt or wet cement floor? The ridged following of electrical regulations is admirable but not 100% necessary to wire safely. Do you know what web site you're on? Strict following of regulations is not what I imagine most users of this site aspire to do. What I offered as an example was safe and inexpensive and 100% legal in my home.
just put 2 15's in there and gfi plugs at the end if going to be by water......... If it was me I would take one of those black plugs out and put a gfi there .. use that plug in a box somewhere else.. Just use what's there .. buy 2 15 and a roll of wire a few boxs your rolling for 150 bones bro.... Do it Yourself.......

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Shouldn't there be clamps where the cables are entering the panel?
Connectors? yes. Are you on a cement or dirt floor? if not ground fault are not necessary. Are you going to get it inspected?

basscaptain

basscaptain

at this point your going to spend more money paying a guy to come out for a service call then it will cost to just finish it........ I can't find the pic but I run a 10x17 workshop off something like that...... and your kool...............................................................

Dan789

Dan789

Actually I did not do that. the electrician did, I am going to get an electrician in here to fix that too code and whatever else I need. I just want to be able to explain to him exactly what I want......smh......lol
Anyone who knows what they’re doing and is an actual Electrician will know just by looking at your install what is wrong. For one thing why no romex connectors? I’ve included a shot, so you’ll know what is the first thing to fix, I’m sure there’s more, like a your combined insulated /neutral ground buss, as this must be a sub panel...No one can do a remote diagnosis, other than to see that whomever did this has no business calling themselves an Electrician.
PS, what the fuck is holding those receptacles? As it’s a 4” sq. Box without either a raised cover or plaster ring? WTF...

The guys at Home Depot could have guided you to a better install, and they don’t know shit.

08C527B8 F618 4C05 B3B0 576955696FB8
Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Anyone who knows what they’re doing and is an actual Electrician will know just by looking at your install what is wrong. For one thing why no romex connectors? I’ve included a shot, so you’ll know what is the first thing to fix, I’m sure there’s more, like a your combined insulated /neutral ground buss, as this must be a sub panel...No one can do a remote diagnosis, other than to see that whomever did this has no business calling themselves an Electrician.
PS, what the fuck is holding those receptacles? As it’s a 4” sq. Box without either a raised cover or plaster ring? WTF...

The guys at Home Depot could have guided you to a better install, and they don’t know shit.
Dan, I think if you look at the 4x4 there are no wires in the box or to the panel, maybe just tacked up before install like 99% of residential electricians do.
What I see wrong are the red wires going to the neutral bar???? Is that some new code? unused conductors must get tied to the neutral bar? wtf no wonder you need GFI's everywhere. It also looks like the lower right breaker is a 20amp with what looks like a #14 wire going to it, if that's the case that's a problem with the wire being to small for the rating on that breaker, there's your fire issue gfi's won't solve overloaded conductors . It looks to me also that the breaker top right has a #12 wire but I can't tell amp rating of that breaker. Bigger is better but #12 is harder to work with in small boxes and doesn't fit the receptacles very well, too big to quickwire or screw on and splicing them together with the larger marretts takes up too much space in small receptacle boxes.

Sparky75

Sparky75

the only thing I would do is pul the plugs and gfi them.....
10 yrs ago and depending where you live that would fly.. put gfi plugs in and roll with it.....

Those were installed 10 years ago and go to lights in the basement. I have not run any wires or touched that since it was put there. Should I replace and put GFCI there too along with running new wires to the room where the tents are.

Sparky75

Sparky75

Long story short, we ended getting rid of the contractor, which I think used a jackleg electrician and then would bring a certified electrician to sign off on the electric jobs. That is not the only short cuts, which is why he did not finish the house. Anyway, that guy has no business building houses, so we are on the same page. You think that is a bad job, you should see my roof....lol What shingles has not slid off due to high nailing...SMH Some days I wanna be a gangster and pay him a visit, but I like my freedom....lol I have to fix some of these messes. I will start with the basement electricity.....lol That sounds like a good idea....lol

L

LeHerber

After reading all this I totally understand why the fire department is up my ass

basscaptain

basscaptain

LOL
you guys are to funny... you guys act like this is a high rise in Ca.... what is there........................... will work.......................... without any problem .......

basscaptain

basscaptain

In the REAL World where People can't pay a Union Contr $250.00 a hr, this is what people do and it works just fine......... 10 yrs ago this would pass in a lot of the back roads of the USA..... and it still does to this day.......
so op you feelit's unsafe so get it fixed and 1500.00 $ or More >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you will have power there just like you do now....

Peace Out

Top Bottom